• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 2432 Replies 2432
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same feelings from Italy…!

For us is even much harder, because of language… that's why (among a lot of other things) Muse was perfect: it was released in different languages.

We should ask the various companies (Weblow, Pinegrow etc…) to release also written tutorials and guides because for many of us watching a video tutorial is a further step, sometimes difficult because of speedness of language or idioms used abroad.

More time passes, more is the disguste I feel in this miserable company of shareholders yes-man.

They should thank us for increasing their business over the years instead of kicking in the mouth: I've never, never crack a software in 20 years, always bought them till last penny.

Now I really do not know what to say to my clients and how to explain what happened without seeming a stupid incapable (because of others)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know Peran, I really liked using Muse and it would have been nice if Adobe had presented for some of us a storefront option within Muse that could have been hosted by Business Catalyst. The only shopping cart offered that I'm aware of was Shopify widget by QooQee. Which meant my storefront would be hosted by Shopify. My problem with Shopify is they have a transaction charge for every purchase. 3dcart on the other hand has no transaction fee, but then your kind of stuck with their boiler-templates. If Adobe had wanted to get into the business of web hosting, and hosting e-commerce websites, I felt like Muse was the perfect front end software for the job. (I also posted this comment to Ankush, on the Killing MUSE? WTF????? thread).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night I was thinking over my own position in the web development world. Many questions arose. One kept coming back. Does Adobe has a point in taking Muse out of the equation? There reply that the world is shifting towards 'data' is one that made me wonder. I know it's hard to think this way since Adobe isn't very empathic to there loyal customer base but I will try anyway.

The 'data' answer from Adobe made me reconsider: did I trust to much on Adobe's (business)direction with the introduction of Muse that there is still a need for designers to create websites without coding? Muse isn't database driven or does have any native database connectivity. It's webdesign made easy for designers. In that regard I was thinking about a course I did as a designer in PHP, MySQL and CSS almost 15 years ago. I laughed at the fact that even the titles of the buttons of my website learning project had to come from the database with PHP. Yes, it was possible but did I need that? Most of the time they are static anyway! So I kept on doing it as I learned beforehand: designing without code. Since that time the world of web design and development is growing mature and expanding. Am I the one who is blind that I keep on working without code and by any means still want to work that way? Children of very young age learn to code nowadays. Coding is (almost) a must have skill it seems. Wasn't it luxery to keep on thinking that I could do without coding?

Then I was thinking about a carpenter with his tool of choice, the hammer. He still can't do without but there are many alternatives which are faster and even more reliable then hammer and nail. He has to work with those tools too. Those tools are even more his livelyhood then the classic hammer. He had to evolve with time. Do I have too? Do I have to learn to code because the world is like that? Do I undermine my own business not to adapt to the world by keeping on to Muse because it's so good in helping me to create and design without coding? Slowly I start to think I do. It's hard but it's true.

Looking at other apps that could replace Muse in the future they seem more or less based on something hybrid: code and design. Do I like it? No. Do I need it to keep my business going? Yes.

So back to Adobe as a company. Maybe, just maybe, Adobe did all of us a favour with the introduction of Muse. They respected there 'old' customer base of designers who were not into coding. But in fact the world was already changed dramaticly. So the decision to abondon Muse as a way of developing and thinking is there finally. It's hard, very hard for us. There are many lessons to be learned here. One of them is that I relied on one opinion of a company that has shoed me the way for many years since there development of Postscript. As I mentioned before in this thread I don't believe in there future anymore as a business leader and the way they act toward there customers is below par.

There is another way out if we want to stick to Muse. Shouldn't we buy Muse together from Adobe with crowdfunding? If we can persuade a company who wants all the Muse customers which are willing to pay through crowdfunding for the initial development (and partial ownership?) wouldn't that be nice? Adobe has a way out of all the negative PR they get with the killing of Muse, they get there money and the community is happy because they are now closely involved as users and (partial) owners in the development and future of Muse. Part of the agreement could be that Adobe is willing to interact in the future with the new developers to keep the connectivity with other Adobe apps.

Maybe I want to reconsider my thoughts about coding again, since I still have the feeling I better can't change a winning team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! OMG - seriously WOW - someone said APRIL FOOLS JOKE - please let that be the case!

Is this really happening?  Is Adobe really tearing out my heart?   And my income?  I have to rework sooooo much - but before I can even migrate any sites, I need to learn an entire new system?  I'm nervous to become a member of anything new as my trust has died along with MUSE and BC... SAD DAY...

My Clients are already calling freaking out saying they want their sites OFF MUSE now - and don't want to have anything to do with a dead product.  I have a Client I'm just starting a site for and when she heard the news - she said absolutely NO WAY start my new site on MUSE.  So there you go, the 12 months you give us to transition is not even a workable plan in the real world.

Oh god - goodbye the ease of integration with MUSE to Adobe libraries and everything else - damn it's going to be a different workflow from now on - I'm heading in the direction of WEBFLOW (I think?) but still so nervous - I'm waiting on the WO Code info from MUSETHEMES, but they are layering over another developers code so could that go the same way as MUSE?  That scenario is 2 systems/businesses which is 2 exposures to RISK or WEBFLOW which is only 1 product?  Ahhh what to do?  Which way is everyone else going?   I'm so sad for Danni who has worked so hard on this and also so sad for MUSEGRID, MUSETHEMES & QOOQEE who have built their businesses around MUSE.

KUDOS to both MUSETHEMES & MUSEGRID for giving us some LIGHT and positivity post announcement from Adobe - what a shame Adobe did nothing, absolutely NOTHING to help us.  Adobe could take some management and marketing tips from these brilliant customer service oriented companies!

So Adobe, my question is:

Now that MUSE is DEAD, will ADOBE be reducing our SUBSCRIPTION costs?  I'm currently paying almost $800 AUD per year to use CC!  You have now deleted MUSE and CATALYST so you should reduce the cost to us that have been severely impacted.  This is our business and our income stream.  Now we have to go and use WEBFLOW or another WO CODE alternative which will cost us a monthly subscription.  WE ARE NOW OUT OF POCKET as MUSE was included in our CC costs.  Will ADOBE be paying these extra costs to our agencies?  Of course not - so our subscription to CC should be reduced - at least this would be some sort of goodwill for your long time ADOBE customers - this would show some kind of customer service....

Please can someone from Adobe respond?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a designer/photographer, the decision to terminate Muse is a major disappointment.  When it was launched it provided designers (not HTML-coders) with a viable tool that allowed them to work in a design rather than a code-oriented context.  I was aware of the criticisms from the coding community that it was cumbersome and inefficient, but that was frankly unimportant since it offered me , as a traditional graphic designer, an opportunity to present flexible designs for the web that were individually crafted rather than being restricted by the template-oriented products from Wordpress, Wix et al.

The decision by Adobe to abandon this approach betrays their commitment to the design industry upon which they have grown with  products such as Illustrator, Photoshop, inDesign and Lightroom.  With no mention of a replacement product, the

alternative solutions as mentioned in the Muse Product Announcement are no substitute for Muse: Portfolio is little more than a toy and Xd is an incomplete solution.

From the responses to this announcement, Adobe must realise that there is a substantial market for Muse.  It may have been difficult and expensive to develop it thus far, but this decision may yet be considered a poor one in terms of retaining its customers' trust and loyalty.  The subscription model for delivery of products has risks for the supplier since they don't get the full value up-front.  Perhaps it's time for Creative Cloud subscribers to consider withdrawal from subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the responses so far seem to be largely from Graphic Designers we should not forget that our base goes much, much further. Clients use Adobe CC, publishers, advertising agencies, corporates. Suppliers use Adobe CC, printers, ink jet posters, digital printers. They may not all use Muse, but perhaps they could be reminded that the company that supplies the products they depend on may not be as dependable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One word: WEBFLOW! Adobe do not offer any acceptable code-free solution with the needs of the Muse users. Adobe Spark is a joke, and Dreamweaver is not the right tool for us designers. Digital and Adobe is still a painful history (GoLive, all the Flash stuff, Edge Animate etc.). You present apps, hype a little bit and kill. I already know the future of Adobe XD!

I guess the decission to kill Muse was made a few months or years ago. No more presentations at Adobe MAX in the past, moving development to India etc.

Fortunately I did notice the smell of Muse corpse and learned WEBFLOW! So right now, my business is not critical.

But the treatment of Adobes customers is really a shame. There are many of your customers which built there complete business around Adobe Muse. And now this communication, this timeline, this "strategy" – a JOKE!

This treatment will be noticed by many other customers which are not affected of the death of Adobe. Affinity is becoming more and more popular.

Take this to your management!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how was the WEBFLOW learning curve...??? I'm literally dreading another learning journey!  And it looks like a hard one.  I've already watched the entire WEBFLOW university video library - full on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get stuck in and have a play!!  There is a free trial you can play with.  I just tried replicating one of my existing sites, it's not identical to look at, but I doubt my regular visitors would notice.

There were a few things that I couldn't get my head around, but a quick 'google' sorted them out. I just wish I went with Webflow 12 months ago.

Also, I'm liking the idea of cloud-based design.   At the moment I'm always worried a client will ring me whilst I'm on my vacation. But with webflow, you don't need to download software, so changes can be made anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading through many posts looking for alternatives to Muse.

If you want a secure future then it is probably best to go open source, many posts have one thing in common, the demise of one app or another. Forgetting the cloud based solutions which I would not consider, there is Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla. Drupal and Joomla are very powerful solutions, Joomla alone powering about two million sites. I know several graphic designers who use these though the learning curve is going to much steeper.

Wordpress should not be dismissed, spending a few days getting to grips with it is probably time well spent. Also is you are Mac user you can install MAMP, this is a standalone app the runs an Apache server on your desktop, install a copy of Wordpress locally on your machine and configure as usual, MAMP will support the required MySQL database. (XAMPP if you are a PC user). From there you can develop locally then when ready export your own template and configure the live version of Wordpress.

Your hosting will most likely have C-Panel from where you can install and configure Wordpress, Drupal or Joomla.

If this sounds daunting, its not that bad. I managed with little coding experience other than a bit of HTML and CSS and zero PHP or JS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Graham_Barr I appreciate the feedback.  Such a nerve wracking thing having to start over.  I'm like you - I'm a graphic designer that NEVER wants to learn code.  MUSE was a fantastic option that extended my design services.

I'm just holding off getting into WEBFLOW for a few more days while I wait for the WO Code option that MUSETHEMES has coming out - though I'm super nervous about their system as it's using someone elses (Duda) code/platform so that is 2 systems that could just drop us like Adobe?

Weird that I've never had this trust issue before this week with software providers - now it's all I think about.  Honestly I have lost sleep.

Adapt or die - so I'm going to adapt and keep going. I hope it's the right decision for us.

I'm not sure what Adobe are thinking with their vague comments about the new SPARK product - I mean c'mon if there is anything at all that could work as a true replacement why the hell wouldn't they be telling us NOW so we had some hope.

Again, cheers for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how was the WEBFLOW learning curve...??? I'm literally dreading another learning journey!  And it looks like a hard one.  I've already watched the entire WEBFLOW university video library - full on!

@sammimars — glad you got a chance to check out Webflow University. Because Webflow is built around the foundations of HTML and CSS (hierarchy, classes, etc.), the learning curve can be a bit steeper. We have a dedicated education team at Webflow which runs Webflow University, and we're constantly developing new video and written tutorial content designed to teach everything from flexbox and rotational parallax to world domination.

Having said that, as you already know from going through some of the University content, it's crazy how far you can go and what you can build because of these foundations. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions, comments, or even if you don't see a guide or tutorial on a topic you'd like to dive into — we'd be happy to explore making it happen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WEBFLOW is not the best solution after looking into this:

1. Contact forms only work if you take out their own hosting plan which is a non-starter - thus if you export code - the contact form wont work

2. There is no market place for widgets so you are limited to what they provide - the nice thing about Muse was the diverse range of widgets etc to bring some really nice touches to websites

3. An offline product will always have a better feel than something that works via a browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this.

Muse is the only answer.

The analogy I've been thinking of, it's like Ford motor company announcing that they no longer intend to support engine parts for my Ford car, or fuel for the engine.. It's absurd of Adobe to drop such a crucial platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just seen Cheeky71's post about Webflow.

RE contact forms not working without their hosting.

It's a very good point - and possibly enough to scare people off Webflow. I've just been on chat to Webflow to verify this and Cheeky71 is correct, HOWEVER:

1) Jotform / WuFoo works fine

2) The guy said the code is easy to change - I'll investigate this myself and report back on just how easy it really is.

I've seen comments on Pinegrow bouncing around - took a brief look at it. Looks good as well.

For the professional Musers here. If Adobe doesn't U-Turn and does finally desert us, we have to make the right migration call - are we going Webflow or Pinegrow?

My vote is Webflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following my post....Requires fairly simple changes to the PHP. Or if you don't want to touch the Webflow code. Just use jotforms / MailChimp / Wufoo forms and drop the code in the webflow interface.

Preran.... Since my original deadline on Monday ... You have 24 hours to get a U-turn from Adobe or I'm off to Webflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Really appreciate the feedback.  So you work with/for Webflow? I'm pretty sure that WEBFLOW is the replacement for me.  The University content was EXCEPTIONAL and I learned so much in such a short time - even basic level explanations that were so easy to understand. 

The guy on the voiceover is HILARIOUS and has such a cool sense of humour - which makes it quite fun to go through.  Who is he?  Does he have a role in Webflow or was he just hired to do that?  It is super easy to sit and watch him move through the process so  quickly and it all looks so smooth (esp that padding/margin slider - oooh can't wait to use it).  But I'm sure I'll be as slow and clicky as any newbie.  I just hope it's a quick learning curve as I have sites to do NOW.

My big question is - I love that I can export the code as my clients all have their own hosting - BUT is that an easy thing to do?  In Adobe MUSE - we just hit a button (publish via FTP) and pop in the Client details and voila - done!  I'm nervous about exporting zip files etc as I have no idea what to do with it from that point?  How do we get it from a zip file into a clients own hosted site?  Basic stuff - but these are the things that are keeping me awake?  I'm not a fan of going into CPanels etc.  Is there awesomely detailed video tutorials on that process?  I hope so.

I think the actual designing will be fine - after I learn the tools and become familiar with the software - like anything time and patience will be the key - but the actual ease of getting it published and things like that freak me out?

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received this as I was/am a subscriber to MuseGain. It effectively is saying that you can convert your Muse sites directly to WordPress which might be a huge blessing for some of you. I've never used it but it's worth looking at.

https://eclipse.tools/adobe-announcement/

MuseGain site can be found here: Adobe Muse Responsive Widgets & Themes Store | MuseGain.com

I'd be interested to see if you can actually and reliably convert Muse to WordPress so if anybody decides to try it out let us know.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My big question is - I love that I can export the code as my clients all have their own hosting - BUT is that an easy thing to do?  In Adobe MUSE - we just hit a button (publish via FTP) and pop in the Client details and voila - done!  I'm nervous about exporting zip files etc as I have no idea what to do with it from that point?  How do we get it from a zip file into a clients own hosted site?  Basic stuff - but these are the things that are keeping me awake?  I'm not a fan of going into CPanels etc.  Is there awesomely detailed video tutorials on that process?  I hope so.

Thanks for your comments, @sammimars! We'll make a tutorial for this soon! In the meantime, it's as easy as (1) grabbing the files from the ZIP, (2) logging in to your client's hosting choice via a tool like FileZilla, and (3) dragging those files in. Any major hosting company can send you all the relevant information you'll need to enter into FileZilla.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you need to upload to a client's server without using the server cpanel, you'll want an ftp client software. Filezilla is free but I prefer Fetch Fetch Softworks because of their interface.

You ask your client for the ftp login (hostname, username and password) and you login to the server. You do have to understand where to put the files and sometimes that is crazy if the client (or someone else) has files that aren't organized. it should be simple though. All html files and folders like CSS, images, assets, scripts, etc. all go in the root folder. If your links are all programmed correctly everything links up to the correct folders and voila. No worries.

I'll attach a window showing the connect screen in Fetch and also what one of my sites looks like so you can see the structure on the server. It's all in a folder that is the domain name.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.41.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.40.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the years I have created websites for so many customers with continuing support and updates, now I will have to figure out and possible redo all the sites I currently support. Not very happy to say the least, also on top of that have to learn new software. I already went thru this when Adobe Golive was discontinued. I am thinking that this is a 5-6 year trend with some of these adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi moved to Muse after careful consideration following the demise of Serif Webplus. I looked at numerous responsive options and thought Adobe was a big-player and credible solution. I have now built 30+ Muse websites and I am so angry at this decision.

Today I have spent a couple of hours trialling Webflow, and I have to say I am very impressed. (Frustratingly I chose Muse over Webflow last year).  I especially like the clear hierarchy of the page content and the clean code it generates. I also like the significantly improved padding options.

I will be migrating my sites over asap and ditching my creative cloud acc. Adobe will never see my hard earned money again.

The very least Adobe should be doing is providing support and fixes for the last version for many years to come. Just to say 12 months is scandalous.

I have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours learning to use the program and build websites that I will now have to rebuild at my expense.

Adobe - hang your heads in shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have listened to Dani Beaumonts voice hour after hour on her jam videos.  I have literally listened to hundreds of hours worth of training, testing and learn how to tutorials.

Where is Dani's voice now???

I feel for her and hope she is OK and hope that she was not as blindsided as we end users have been.

Wow Adobe - just WOW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran.  I used to work in a large IT company, so I kinda get the hierarchy and office politics stuff.

I worry that you are taking all this grief and maybe feeding back to your line manager.  But is this large amount of negative feedback and dismay at Adobe's ridiculous announcement really being communicated to the decision makers?  (500+ comments on here in less than 2 days).

In my experience, the 'powers that be' sit in their swanky offices and are kept in the dark as to whats really going on.

OK, Muse won't be developed further, but at least tell your CUSTOMERS you will keep the support and fixes ongoing for 5 years? Honestly, if we treated our clients like this, we'd be out of business.  Adobe arrogance and contempt is mindblowing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see what you are getting at, but we are sharing feedback received across all platforms with, in your own words, "decision-makers." Rest assured that they are not unaware of what is happening on the forums or on any of our other feedback channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines