• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 2432 Replies 2432
Contributor ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WE NEED A TOWN HALL MEETINGShantanu Narayen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the kind of issues that happen when you rent something (car, house, etc): sooner or later, the owner will recover his tool and kick you out!

If this happens with Adobe, one of the most influential IT company in the world, what to say about small companies?

A good lesson anyway that could be learned from this issue is:

1) Never use/rent web-based online software, even if they are coming from the most established company in the world;

2) Always opt for open source tools, as possible as you can; there would always be someone who can bring improvements, even if the open source tool stops one day (its code remains available, so anyone can continue to develop it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got Sparkleapp. wysiwyg Mac Only software.

You can copy/paste your url webpages in and it will import them. Lifesaver!

Here's a tutorial on youtube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illostraight: re Sparkle and importing pages.

Nice discovery!

Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illostraight  wrote

You can copy/paste your url webpages in and it will import them. Lifesaver!

But then you end up with a "yourfilename.sparkle" file and not native HTML/CSS/JS source as was discussed earlier.

So you end up exporting from Muse to source or importing from a live url source into Sparkle. Then you are fixing up, redoing, converting things inside of Sparkle so combining the two code sources together, not sure of its process with that? The documentation says it does single pages, not complete sites, so that requires more rebuilding, linking, etc., if thats true? Does it keep all features in tact or the responsive nature of your pages? Also understand that if you ever need to use it in another program ever, you have to take your .sparkle file and export that. So when you don't work with native source files you are always orphaning the process one way or another. I understand people desperately want the page layout style environment, but that described process seems like a convoluted method for moving forward, verse using a program that works with native files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then you end up with a "yourfilename.sparkle" file and not native HTML/CSS/JS source as was discussed earlier.

So you end up exporting from Muse to source or importing from a live url source into Sparkle. Then you are fixing up, redoing, converting things inside of Sparkle so combining the two code sources together, not sure of its process with that? The documentation says it does single pages, not complete sites, so that requires more rebuilding, linking, etc., if thats true? Does it keep all features in tact or the responsive nature of your pages? Also understand that if you ever need to use it in another program ever, you have to take your .sparkle file and export that. So when you don't work with native source files you are always orphaning the process one way or another. I understand people desperately want the page layout style environment, but that described process seems like a convoluted method for moving forward, verse using a program that works with native files.

Oh come on now. You clearly don't like Sparkle, or have an agenda, or both. You are definitely misrepresenting Sparkle's abilities.

"Working with native files" just means forcing visual thinkers to learn to code. Is anybody "working with native files" when they use illustrator or photoshop? Do you advise people to fix their own car too?

Sparkle produces high performance and perfectly standard HTML/CSS/JS, the idea that the workflow is convoluted in any way is contrary to what we have been working on for the past 4 years.

I suggest everybody have a look on their own: sparkleapp.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Duncan+Wilcox  wrote

You are definitely misrepresenting Sparkle's abilities.

Ok.

Well if so, then as the developer of Sparkle please correct and clarify my understanding of how a person would go about taking their Muse site, getting it into Sparkle and the needed work that would be required to get it into a responsive working site coming out of Sparkle. Lastly the process needed if they ever need or require to use it in another app.

I am certainly open to understanding what you said I misrepresented.

Happy Easter Duncan, thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh come on now. You clearly don't like Sparkle, or have an agenda, or both. You are definitely misrepresenting Sparkle's abilities.

"Working with native files" just means forcing visual thinkers to learn to code. Is anybody "working with native files" when they use illustrator or photoshop? Do you advise people to fix their own car too?

Sparkle produces high performance and perfectly standard HTML/CSS/JS, the idea that the workflow is convoluted in any way is contrary to what we have been working on for the past 4 years.

I suggest everybody have a look on their own: sparkleapp.com

I installed the free version of Sparkle, and tested the waters a bit.

Positive compared to Muse, Pinegrow, Webflow:

- similar freedom in placing boxes (which is also a caveat, see below).

- anyone can use it to design static web pages. No coding required.

- no reliance on a third-party online service (Webflow).

- Not browser based: it's a regular desktop app (unlike Webflow).

- no need to be logged in (Webflow again).

- layout grid is adjustable. Simple to change to a good number of grids from 2 up to 24.

- simple to add multiple responsive breakpoints.

- nice live server in browser while editing the layout.

- sections to repeat content on pages.

- very simple GUI.

- simple page manager

- nice to see automatic image generation for different screen pixel densities.

Points of critique:

- odd and inconvenient that Sparkle, like Muse, relies on a proprietary file format to save projects. Html, CSS, JS are standardized and open formats, and it just makes things more convoluted in regards to workflow in SO many ways. The only reason I can think of is that the Sparkle developers want to avoid an open format to prevent users from leaving their app to work on pages. I understand it would be handy for the Sparkle developer to keep track of project/app specific properties, but for example Pinegrow resolves this by keeping track of Pinegrow stuff in a JSON file.

So I just see no need, outside of vendor lock-in, to save in a proprietary file format. It actually is rather counter-productive. Why the need to "publish", when the web already works with open file format standards?

It also complicates handing off your files to a developer for back-end functionality or other more interactive stuff after you've finished the design.

Simple example. Suppose the developer needs to add some additional CSS styles - well, you receive an updated CSS file from your developer, and replace the old one. You can both work on the project. No issue when working directly with the native web files. However, I see many problems with Sparkle: it is obvious Sparkle isn't meant for a web team to work on things together.

Or what if you decide to change some CSS outside Sparkle when previewing your work in a browser? How will that work?

More importantly, it completely obliterates an efficient versioning workflow, no matter whether you are working by yourself, or as a member of a team on a web project.

No, in my opinion having a proprietary file format dramatically reduces the scope of the projects a Sparkle user can work on.

- While freely dragging and dropping boxes seems fine, it also means it works (like Muse) against the natural layout flow of a typical web page layout. For example, suppose you've built a page with multiple sections in Sparkle. You then decide to move the second section after the sixth section. In a box-layout aware visual designer everything automatically adjusts. Drag to a new position, and all the other sections automatically fall in place.

Not so in Sparkle. Because Sparkle uses a translation layer (like Muse), while it *is* very intuitive initially to an Illustrator user to work with those boxes, larger layout changes may take quite a lot of time. For example, drag and drop a major section in Pinegrow automatically adjusts the entire layout. One action. With sparkle this is not nearly as effective, of course. The price that is paid for a translation layer.

Having said this, I understand that creatives only used to Muse, Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop wouldn't be aware of these drawbacks of such a translation layer approach, and it makes sense that the Sparkle devs accommodate an identical workflow. However, It would be nice if Sparkle would allow for a more traditional web layout mode as well, where sections and columns would automatically snap in place, like Pinegrow, Webflow, or Wordpress visual builder plugins.

- Sparkles GUI is very, very static, just like WebFlow's. It is not possible to drag panels or adjust the GUI in any way, outside tools. It's super-limited this way. No way to adjust the workspace, let alone set up multiple workspaces. Maybe it is just me, but in Muse and Pinegrow the user is free to order the GUI in the way (s)he wants and needs. It just seems so limiting. Take it or leave it: the Sparkle and Webflow way.

- Not possible to view multiple responsive breakpoint layouts side by side. Not possible to test drag behaviour in Sparkle. Not possible to test interactivity in Sparkle. All because of the translation layer approach. Everything must be previewed in the browser. Compare Pinegrow.

- inability to work efficiently with native html and css files. Like Muse, and other products that rely on a proprietary local or server-side project files flow. Just a shame.

- the user cannot expand the library of available items, just like Webflow. Which means, unlike Muse and Pinegrow, the user community is pretty much locked out, and only the developers themselves can add new functionality. Not nice, in my opinion.

- Sparkle relies on its own proprietary CSS layout grid code. I checked the exported code, and while it isn't atrocious like Muse's code, it would be nice if the code base would optionally be allowed to use Bootstrap and/or Foundation, because (whether we like these frameworks or not) they are standards most web developers are familiar with. So it would be much easier to hand over the published files to a team member, or a contracted developer so that the site could be integrated in a CMS, or something.

Anyway, I think that Sparkle is a good choice for Muse users who need to create simple websites with static page layouts and still want a lot of visual control, who want absolutely nothing to do with ANY code whatsoever, work by themselves, and don't have to hand off their work to a developer after finishing the layouts, and don't mind losing the option for installing and working with community-based plugins/extensions.

And who don't mind working with yet another proprietary file format (which is really superfluous when the web already provides us with open standards that can be easily accommodated in anyone's workflow. In my experience Designers don't care working with such files, because they already know how this works when dealing with InDesign layouts: images are separated from the main project file, external files, etc. So the argument that working directly with html, css, and img files is akin to working as a mechanic "under the hood" is an arguably obfuscating statement, since InDesign users already work in a similar workflow).

Sparkle is also a nice prototyping tool, but the lack of a built-in "real" web preview is rather limiting in this respect.

As always, test for yourselves. This is my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your thoughtful answer. Overall I might agree with your conclusion. Sparkle is a good choice with the caveats you mention. This is the current state of course, we are far from done developing.

Coming to the controversial point, while we do not use a proprietary file format, it is not due to any sort of malice. All sorts of problems stem from this, and while we are working on improving Sparkle to address them, I wish we could just do away with them all and use HTML/CSS. However HTML/CSS simply don't convey enough intent information to be able to produce a meaningful user interface for editing.

Sparkle is not a direct mapping of HTML concepts, it is an abstraction (which still does its best to be efficient when it comes to producing the output HTML). The more we develop Sparkle the more powerful the abstractions become.

Abstractions are necessary because without them you only have a very short lever, you are permanently running in first gear, you are using the computer as a glorified typewriter. Abstractions give power and speed and acceleration, but they can't be represented in HTML.

The comparison to pinegrow makes no sense when visual thinkers simply don't want to think in symbols. What's a selector? A box model? Why should I care? That's literally the first think you have to understand in pinegrow or webflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True ! Knowing the construction of HTML content and how CSS presentation works (and how JavaScript can tap into both), helps to dictate and predict the flow, if the content and/or the viewport changes (or the user interacts with it). These three pillars of the web are just epic...

And Muse did a very clever job handling those typical web aspects for the ignorant user, by carefully and silently 'grouping' and 'floating' all the content a user would put on a page. And Muse offered alternative layouts as a way to deal with different viewports. All native JavaScripts were contained client-side and the team kept good track of changing APIs to keep third-party content up to date. Other maintenance chores like updating any necessary queries and authentication procedures were also reasonably covered.

So for as long your website didn't/doesn't need complex content, super fluid responsiveness, and/or any dreaded -here we go- CMS (not a day goes by without mentioning that term), you could be pulling your webdesign off as just a kind of InDesign or print-media job ! Is/was that wrong ? No, it was easy and beautiful. Is/was it wrong to trust a proprietary file format ? Well, I think it was inevitable. Are we in trouble now ? Yes, since no other tool can understand Muse files (or even its HTML/CSS/JS) and seems to come close to that Muse cleverness.

With their decision, Adobe forces us to move to less clever tools (and become more clever ourselves) or choose automated tools (and be happy with the features offered).

This is my final post in this thread.

After exactly 1 week and well over 1000 messages, I think we've largely and very usefully discussed everything there's to think and say about the sad announcement. Many readers and contributors can already put the findings from this thread to their use. And the verdict is not out yet. The coming weeks or months will definitely bring some more surprises and answers. But for me, it's time to move on.

Bye bye Muse ! You've been a great green gadget in my Dock, for many years ! Thanks Dani and Preran 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Coming to the controversial point, while we do not* use a proprietary file format ( * NOT must have been a freudian slip 😉
  • I wish we could just do away with them all and use HTML/CSS. However HTML/CSS simply don't convey enough intent information
  • Sparkle is not a direct mapping of HTML concepts, it is an abstraction
  • Abstractions are necessary
  • Abstractions give power and speed and acceleration, but they can't be represented in HTML.
  • The comparison to pinegrow

Obviously different developers and applications don’t all see it the same way when it comes to those points and what is best for users. Speaking to those points that you made and the comparison to Pinegrow regarding them:

Faqs - From the Pinegrow Site, bottom of home page:

• Pinegrow is a desktop app that works with regular HTML and CSS files.
  • Pinegrow doesn't add any abstraction on top of HTML and CSS. It simply helps you to work with HTML and CSS more efficiently, either visually or through code. Pinegrow is tailored to professional web developers and designers.

Pinegrow Developer response comment on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AJKandy/status/977386816901824513

pinegrow is moving into this direction. It's a desktop visual + code editor that works with HTML/CSS/SASS files directly, no lock-in, abstractions. It started as a visual tool for developers, but more & more designers are picking it up as well.

It does not matter if it's Pinegrow, the point is:

With Muse users already not feeling good regarding the investing of their time, money and effort into Adobe Muse. They should have their eyes wide open and make sure their choices are as sound as possible moving forward. They should better insulate themselves from such things or unforeseen events occurring again to them in the future.

So concerning those your points bulleted above, it was simply one of the general ongoing suggestions various other people along with myself were making for Muse users to consider. The suggestions and concerns was that Muse users not get locked into or tied to a specific application, service or file format moving forward.

Obviously each Muse user can forgo these suggested precautions by others and seek more closed approaches for various reasons or for specific feature related desires. As long as they understand they may find themselves in another compromising position in the future then that falls on them if and when such a time, event or circumstance occurs. They need to do what is best for them and own those decisions going forward.

There is certainly nothing wrong with any of us pointing out these aspects or providing program suggestions that allow a Muse user to circumvent these issues by working with native files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freudian slip it must be! I envy who can afford to use straight HTML/CSS.

However having abstractions is too important (from my point of view). Abstractions mean, among other things, you can think visually and spatially about your design, instead of thinking in symbols and typing brackets. Shouldn't need to explain this to a Muse user

I get the lock-in argument. The point is HTML and CSS aren't enough to carry all the semantics needed for high level constructs and abstractions. We would use HTML/CSS if it wasn't a problem. Macaw tried to be actually visual, and edit code at the same time, and failed.

So the choice is clear, you either have no abstractions and use HTML/CSS, or you abstract away from code and use a visual editor.

I think everybody has a right to make the choice on their own, you seem to be suggesting only one of the two is the correct one for everybody.

You know the expression "standing on the shoulders of giants"? You only get that if you abstract and build on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know the expression "standing on the shoulders of giants"?

Yes I have heard the expression, but remenber that most people who "stand on the sholders of giants", fall off.

Those giants also knew what they were doing, not simply following hype and trends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have heard the expression, but remenber that most people who "stand on the sholders of giants", fall off.

Those giants also knew what they were doing, not simply following hype and trends.

I don't think Isaac Newton intended that when he said it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Isaac Newton intended that when he said it.

And in the very same lecture, he also said "one should know what those giant know", not that one did not need to know in order to build on their shoulders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in the very same lecture, he also said "one should know what those giant know", not that one did not need to know in order to build on their shoulders.

You know perhaps what my team is trying to do with Sparkle is not the right direction, and we'll "fall off". I don't have a magic orb, I can't rule it out. We're most definitely not following any hype or trend, considering there really isn't anybody else doing what we're doing. If anything we're leading.

But what I do know is that the alternative is not adding any form of abstraction, just plain HTML/CSS, and a big exoskeleton to edit it more efficiently, keeping you stuck doing the same old artisanal job of figuring out what subtle css rule you have not set quite right, every single time, for every single page. There are many many many people doing exactly this, so if this is what you want, you have a great choice and a great selection.

As far as I'm concerned, all that belongs to the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not even know that your team had anything to do with Sparkle, (and I am not interested).

What I do know is that if you do not build on the back of web standards, and update to include new web standards as they become usable. Then whatever anyone produces, will eventually become outdated and no longer meet web end users expectations.

Demise is built into any program that cannot keep up with requirements, not just requirerment for now but also those in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your response did make me smile. I took a look at the training videos for Webflow and Bloc. One whiff of techie boxes and I was done! Duncan is quite correct , these things are not for everyone. I totally respect you guys that can read and understand code. I even have a book on my bookcase on HTML, it’s at least 10 years old and in pristine condition! I don’t build websites for a living, I need a website to make my living. Muse gives me the freedom to create the websites that I want and I enjoy doing it. Business Catalyst saved me money because it  includes 5 hosted sites in my subscription which covers the cost of my CC subscription. This allowed me to build a few websites for a few artist friends even more digitally challenged and just as broke as me. I also built/hosted sites at zero cost for a couple of charities. I’m not even a Designer. I’m an Artist that works in ceramics and also paints. I enjoy dabbling with computer graphics and know enough Photoshop, Illustrator and Premier Pro to be able to muddle through to produce my own marketing materials. I would say that Muse was developed for people just like me and not for coding experts.  On the verge of launching my business I most certainly have a few technical challenges ahead, from Web design to Social Media / Promotions and Google Rankings & listings It’s a new world for me and I’m still trying to understand how it all slots together. I learnt to type on a typewriter and my first computer was an Amiga - technology has moved on a bit since. However if any of you fantastic coders want to help me out with your expertise I’d be more than willing to exchange for my expertise in the form of teaching you how to make pots!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sparkle strips all Muse code when you import pages.  You can then export Sparkle as html. It's not perfect, because no other solution  will be perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re the discussion of importing pages to Sparkle:

I don't understand and hope somebody will explain.

If I can't use my Muse site any longer and I decide to import a page to Sparkle and then Sparkle changes the code from Muse to Sparkle, why is this a problem? What am I missing?

I would probably change things anyway.

Thank you for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no problem with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the end of the day we are looking at losing abobe.one integrated workflow components...
time to just flesh out good robust workflows well that are not adobe.one first?

time to have an open source creative community thats robust and well supportive of all levels of entry....

time to have a community that has stuart ownership in the suite they use and

where the users own the code...

where the creatives own their own creative work....

where the creatives own there own tools...

where our collective energies are leveraged to our collective advantage

yes im still frustrated after tolerating this type of behavior for over 35 years in corporate life...

change the system of servitude!

change the culture ! people fist ! Help Me Help!

kai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Preran know each other the number of users of the Muse in the world?

I shall be curious to know.  If Adobe stops Muse, it is certainly that it is not profitable.

Thank you

Ulysse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

skyulysse  wrote

Hello Preran know each other the number of users of the Muse in the world?

I shall be curious to know.  If Adobe stops Muse, it is certainly that it is not profitable.

Thank you

Ulysse

They never said it was not profitable.

What they may have done is looked at the type of site being created by the majority of Muse users, and decided that such sites offer nothing more than what can be done using the alternatives they suggest.

It may also be that they felt that updating how Muse worked, was also not feasable for Muse and doing so may have broken sites and plug-ins had they done so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe they where studying the end results wrong .

And yes a lot of the sites are probably similar

other sites out there. But in the same token so are cars they all have a steering wheel, 4 wheels and engine etc but there are so many many brands and models, but yet the user chooses the car because of their own personal needs, such as muse this is a product that because the tools are so similar to the tools we use in illustrator, photoshop and indesign we all felt very comfortable using it and expressing our creative freedom on to a market that is very square. See it’s not the final product but how we get to it that really matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines