• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

image to open on page when mouse over menu item

Explorer ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a page where when I hover over a menu item at the top of the page a cross appears over a specific place on the page. Is this possible in Muse, please? e.g. horizontal menu lists a small number of places, when mouse over each place I want a cross to appear on the map where that place is.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

You can achieve this easily by using a composition widget:

Use the composition triggers as menu buttons and the targets as the elements, containing the crosses.

You can configure the triggers to react on hover, the targets to be placed „scattered“ and to be hidden initially.

But, as Nancy said, it seem not to be a good idea in respect to usability.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you envision this will work on touch screen devices that don't have a mouse?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter too much on a touch screen, as the menu will take you to a page showing the position on the map anyway. I just thought it would be rather nice to be able to see where all the places were by moving the mouse over the menu!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wildglio  wrote

Doesn't matter too much on a touch screen, as the menu will take you to a page showing the position on the map anyway.

If you don't really need it, why bother with  hover effects?

Before long, everyone will be on touch screens, even desktops.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can achieve this easily by using a composition widget:

Use the composition triggers as menu buttons and the targets as the elements, containing the crosses.

You can configure the triggers to react on hover, the targets to be placed „scattered“ and to be hidden initially.

But, as Nancy said, it seem not to be a good idea in respect to usability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy & Günter for your comments. I will try to do what you have suggested Günter. Your comments have raised another problem for me. I have a large number of photographs of groups of people which I have now put on a webpage, and when you hover your mouse over a face, that persons name appears. In the touch-screen future, is this going to be possible, or is there another way to be able to show the names?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, an example for my suggested workflow. Look at the following screencast, which uses a slightly different approach, which works fine even with responsive layouts:

Here you may download the corresponding .muse sample file to see, how it is done: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbezlfna2geok41/Dynamic_Map.muse?dl=1

Your second question: On a touch screen, there doesn’t exist a „hover“ state, because those screens only have two states: touched or not touched. When hovering over an image, it is not touched. Therefore there will be no other way than showing the names, when touching a person on the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Günter, many thanks. Your example eventually made some sense and I have managed to do what I wanted to do. In relation to names over faces I think I will have to change the mouse-over to reveal name to click to reveal name. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines