• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Muse EOL...Fonts will stop working on my already designed webpage ?

Participant ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Muse at EOL....What happes to the fonts which are supplied online. My webpage fonts will stop working ? Im hosting my webpage on my own independent webhosting server.

Can i use my own fonts by putting my own font files like ttf etc onto my own webhosting server right along with the html files and get muse to use them instead ?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020
  • Adobe Edge fonts will continue working.

==========

MODERATOR'S UPDATE: 2/27/2022

Effective July 2022, Edge Fonts will be discontinued.  Please switch to Adobe Fonts or other suitable replacement.

=========

• Adobe TypeKit (now: Adobe Fonts) will only continue working, if youn have an active CC subscription. Adobe fonts – and formerly TypeKit – have alway been and are part of the subscription.
  • Selfhosted webfonts will – of course – continue working as long as Muse itself is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Adobe Edge fonts will continue working.

==========

MODERATOR'S UPDATE: 2/27/2022

Effective July 2022, Edge Fonts will be discontinued.  Please switch to Adobe Fonts or other suitable replacement.

=========

• Adobe TypeKit (now: Adobe Fonts) will only continue working, if youn have an active CC subscription. Adobe fonts – and formerly TypeKit – have alway been and are part of the subscription.
  • Selfhosted webfonts will – of course – continue working as long as Muse itself is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

• Adobe Edge fonts will continue working. > Are they also like Typekit fonts, as in they are supplied online and live during run time ? How do i choose Adobe Edge fonts when designing in Muse. And this doesnt need an adobe subscription to continue working is it ?
  • Adobe TypeKit (now: Adobe Fonts) will only continue working, if youn have an active CC subscription. Adobe fonts – and formerly TypeKit – have alway been and are part of the subscription. > Understood.
  • Selfhosted webfonts will – of course – continue working as long as Muse itself is working. >This is what im looking at. But you sentence is a little confusion. What is a self hosted webfont ?....If i self-host a webfont on my own server, that means the webpage designed and published with Muse will always look for that font from my own server, irresepective of which server that site is hosted on ? Or does it mean its something like putting the font files on my own server where my own webpage is running and it takes the fonts from there whenever the webpage is accessed. So if i make a webpage for someone else then the fonts needed for his site will be put into his site foler like assets ? Essentially thats what i want to do. Can you guide me how please ?

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Adobe Edge fonts are licensed Google fonts. You may use them without any fear.
  • Self hosted fonts: You have to install them correctly and afterwards they are uploaded along with your site to your server domain and activated temporarily from there on the machines of your site’s visitors. Thery are not loaded to the visitor’s machines directly from your computer.

Here you find the help chapter: https://helpx.adobe.com/muse/using/web-fonts.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future proofing, use web safe font-families that are commonly found on most Win/Mac machines.  If first font isn't available on the device, an alternate font from the same family will be displayed. 

https://www.cssfontstack.com/

Or use Google's web fonts. 

https://fonts.google.com/

If you're planning to host your own custom font kits, make certain your font license extends to the web.  Many fonts are restricted to print use only.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

The first url which you gave...https://www.cssfontstack.com/ ............What is this link for ? To just visually see which are websafe fonts and use or this site will supply the font live (as a replacement to adobes typekit etc).

The 2nd url https://fonts.google.com/  .....how to use these fonts for my webpage, so that my webpage will not rely on adobe to supply the font ?

It would be very helpful if you can tell me in layman terms. Thanks a ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-13 um 09.11.56.png

2)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-13 um 09.12.17.png

3)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-13 um 09.12.27.png

Does this help?

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CSS Font stack shows you the font and what percentage of Win / Mac users have it installed on their machines.  Arial is on 98% of all machines.  But Avant Garde is on 1% of Mac machines only.  So fallbacks are necessary for the rest.

Assuming you want to use Avant Garde as an <h1> heading on your site, you would copy and paste the following CSS code into your <HTML> insertion panel.

<style>
h1 {
font-family: "Avant Garde", Avantgarde, "Century Gothic", CenturyGothic, AppleGothic, sans-serif;

font-size: 24px;
font-weight: 700;
line-height: 26.5px;
}
</style>

Embedding code into Muse.

https://helpx.adobe.com/muse/using/embedding-videos-html-content.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There´s a learning curve, I know, Nancy (I experience the same with pinegrow, BTW), but your piece of code is so unneccessary for Muse and not useful with Muse that it almost hurts. And who was talking about Avante Garde? It has absolutely nothing to do wth the OP´s question.

BTW where is the OP left? For the OP only, use google fonts and you are fine. There´s a way to transfer fonts to what ever you need like otf and ttf but it is tedious and not 100% relieable in my experience. Keep with fonts.google.com / Edge webfonts.

Nancy, commonly we would be willing to help you to get to know Muse, but Muse is under EOL and I recommend to use another tool to do websites. If you are into code I encouragw you to try Dw from here: https://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver.html?promoid=KLZLF&s_cid=70114000002CfGJAA0&s_iid=7011400...

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Avant Garde as an example of a font stack.  

Custom web fonts from Google, Edge and Adobe are nice but they make the page load slower.  For this reason, it's best to use web safe fonts for the majority of your text and reserve the custom web fonts for when you need a special heading.  

Knowing how to add a little custom CSS code to Muse is a practical lesson.  Use it or don't.  Your choice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There´s no practicasl lesson for anybody because … you don`t get it and probably never will. As I mentioned and Guenter as well many times. You obviously never did anything with muse, otherwise you would know that putting CSS to muse is not meant for. Stay at Dw and help those users. Please spare Muse users from ,mostly unuseful threads until March 2020 - you should be able to do that.

Use Avantgarde …

Sincerely,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, 

No, you don't get it.  Why do you pretend that Muse is incompatible with custom code?  It's not.  And also why are you so hell bent on policing me?  If you don't like my replies, don't read them.  Although if you weren't so closed minded about code, you might actually learn something. 

Meanwhile, have a cup of tea and take a chill pill (relax).  You won't have me to kick around much longer.  Muse support is ending soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy,

because till now you simply did not tell the OPs ( none of them) here where to put that code within a muse file. I doubt that you ever had a look at how a muse file looks like.

Of course I got it, (I move to pinegrow) and of course I am willing to learn as much as possible, but where should a non coder put that CSS into the muse file without using another app outside of Muse. You simply didn`t get it so far, that Muse was build for non coders but for designers (some of them might switch to XD), so your code does not help here, except some code for <head> or    …   The Muse user has no "control" of the appaerance of that CSS and so the Muse user is mostly not able to make some changes which are easily done in pinegrow or Dw or similar apps out there. External CSS also will not work with Muses inbrowserediting so it makes simply no sense to use external CSS. As far as I am experienced the only way to put some custom code inside Muse is here:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-15 um 09.35.38.png

here:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-15 um 09.52.51.png

and with some frames that could be filled with some code but mostly it was not necessary.

It might be, that the lack of more or more easy custom code in a proper way led to EOL of muse.

You have so much energy, why waste that energy here in the muse forum.

I´m out, Kind regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you do not need additional software.  In Muse, the <script> and <style> tags go inside metadata <head>. 

The <HTML> insert panel is for content that will display in the <body> of your document such as text, embedded videos and Google maps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know why, but im unable to click reply to any of the above posts.

Some of the images posted here for guidance happen to be where the muse menu is in a foreign language so that makes it little difficult to follow things easily. But some things i could visually follow. I tried self-hosted fonts and they worked correctly. Except sometimes when the page loads it shows the default (some ugly, large fall back font, for 1-2 seconds and then switches to my self-hosted font. But for that 2 secs the site display looks ugly as it puts everything displaced and broken and moved out of position. Then after 2 secs everything sits perfect the way i designed it.

No i noticed the same behaviour even with edge fonts. The delay was a fraction of a second only, but still visible to a normal viewer.

In both self-hosted and edge fonts, with some browsers its lightning fast and you dont see any delay at all. So this is i think dependent on the speed with which the font is supplied over the web ?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fallback fonts guarantee, that text is readable, even before web fonts are loaded on the visitor’s machine. If you don’t want to use this fallback automatism check this option:

Screen_01.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gunter,

I found that mine was already unchecked by default, like this...

Capture.JPG

Yet i get the fallback fonts showing thru for a sec or 2 before the self-hosted or edge font shows up.

My page property shows like this...

Capture 2.JPG

Does the character set have to be changed or something ?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yet I get the fallback fonts showing thru for a sec or 2 before the self-hosted or edge font shows up."

A momentary flash of unstyled content (flouc) is normal and expected during page load.  Your page has to call multiple scripts from Adobe's servers and make a round trip back to your server before Edge fonts can load.  Flouc is hardly noticeable on fast sites.  On slow sites, the problem is more obvious.  

How fast does your website load?
Find out with GTmetrix

https://gtmetrix.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

I wanted to reply to your earlier posts itself but im unable to click on anyones REPLY button as the moment i click it. All the posts REPLY buttons just vanish and theres no reply text box that ever appears. Tried on different browsers too. Only clicking the last post of this thread for replying works.

Thanks for the links. I tried my webpage on GTMETRIX and its shows website score of 98% A, i dont know if thats a good thing.

Also i have a Video Gallery page. And there are 8 YouTube video embeds. 1 below the other respectively. I used INSERT HTML and put them in place. Each video embed HTML code block has CSS script above it to make that iframe responsive width. Should i cut that CSS script out and paste it into the header, since it defines a class and then omit the same CSS on each of the video embeds code to make it lighter. Will it work ?

Also when some say March 2020, support stops etc, does that mean this forum will close down ?

Will sites made with Adobe muse and hosted on our own web hosting servers with self-hosted fonts continue to work on the web ?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Community Forums have been almost impossible to use lately.  I undersand the "vendor" is working on it...

Embed code from YouTube should go in the <html> insertion window.

<style> and <script> goes inside the metadata <head> tag.  

Muse support ends on March 26.  I don't know what Adobe plans to do with this product forum beyond that date.   

Muse sites won't suddenly stop working.  They will keep working for as long as browsers keep supporting the code.  Muse's code hasn't been updated in quite a while.  So eventually, all Muse sites will begin to fail in one way or another. 

Keep your cache memory cleared and test your sites often in multiple devices and browsers.  When the failures become unacceptable, it's time for a new site made outside Muse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nancy,

When working with fonts (text boxes) the paragraph box shows a blue dotted line as you shrink the box. See the screen shot below please. Why does this blue dotted thing appear when you shrink the box above a certain level, what does it mean and whats the resultant effect that dotted line would cause ?

Example 1 -On a para bottom.

Capture.JPG

Example 1 -On a Heading Line...

Capture 2.JPG

If i stretch the bottom of the text box a little bit lower then the dotted line moves and joins the bottom of the box and disappears...

Line has now joined the bottom of the box.Line has now joined the bottom of the box.

The reason i ask this is because when i make paragraphs in Muse. The para seems to be expanding bigger during preview in browser and in the final page result which is running online too. I think paragraph text re-arranges itself when its published and run, though in design stage it looks correct. Say i have a button positioned exactly below a text para, during pubish and on different monitors the text pushes down and even overlaps the button. See the example of mine below....

In my design worspace this is how ive set it....(observe bottom of para).....

Para & bottom caption have been given ample spacing.Para & bottom caption have been given ample spacing.

But upon publish in my browser, this is what i get....(observe bottom of para overlapping on bottom caption)...

Capture 2.JPG

How to avoid this using the blue dotted line feature ?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to use Muse in spite of its state as EOL, you really should learn, how to use it. A forum can’t replace this process.

Overlapping text normally is a consequence of the fact, that your text boxes are overlapping. When your screen size changes (= becomes less wide, for example), the text box shrinks in width and therefore needs more height to keep the text within visible. The consequence may be, that text boxes below will be overlapped. You can avoid this by making sure, that your text boxes don’t overlap at all.

The dotted line has an important reason. Look here:

You see the consequences may be crucial for your layout. You can control the minimal height of a text frame – what is really important, when it comes to responsive Layout.

(And: Please, please avoid justified text on web pages! Most actual browsers don’t understand anything about hyphenation, and therefore the text looks, well, pretty ugly! Just look at yous second "DEBET GANON" screenshot …)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the video !

I get the base concept. But still in the real world i cant see how this feature figures or helps. Maybe it just goes over my head for now. Yes i dont know much about Muse :). Im well versed in 3ds Max, Video Editing, Photoshop, Adobe Flash Professional with good knowledge in AS2. There are always some small nuances that are hard to wrap ones head around. This blue dotted line thing is not mentioned in detail in the Muse help files either. Googled all around also and didnt find this issue discussed. Hence decided to post here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines