• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New version of Muse breaks numerous things in our site

Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last two versions of Adobe Muse have broken my clients website. Even items we have not touched since the site was created over a year ago are now not working the same:

Here is the version of the site pulled from the backups of the server in July.  The entire site is working 100%.

T&MDG | HOME

Please notice:

1. The home page gallery works perfectly regardless of the responsive breakpoint. This is using the Fluid Gallery widget from Qooqee.com and has worked properly for over a year.  

2.  The 3 column buttons under "Our Services" and under "Our Team" align perfectly center in the browser and do not move.

Here is the same site using the 2018 version of Muse.  The 2 items above are no longer working right. In the outer breakpoint everything is fine, but then when you go to the tablet and mobile breakpoints the gallery images disappear (although the page responds as if there are images) and the 3 column buttons under "Our Services" and under "Our Team" are now sliding to the right, off center. Why?  Nothing in the programming has changed between the two version for either of these issues.

T&MDG | HOME

I have ALOT of work to add to the Virtual Tours for this site so I need to figure out what can be done about this ASAP.  Please help.

I am already thinking I should revert back to the previous version of Muse so I can get this site working 100% again. This is amazingly frustrating since I am also having to revert Photoshop 2018 back to 2017 because of numerous issues with text leading and transformation boxes not working right. Come on Adobe, why are you releasing software that is breaking features and no longer working the same.  Please help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update on this Composition Widget?  The client has reviewed the site and here is what they have said:

1.  The alignment of the buttons on the Services and About Us page are not centered as they were before. So, depending on the screen they show it on, the buttons are in different places on the screen, but never centered they way they should be.  They want this fixed.  Problem is, I can't fix this. If I try to pin the buttons, they slide left or right as the browser gets smaller and if I don't pin them, the auto responsiveness of the widget decides where the button will be placed and there is no control over it since the percentages of the right, left and center buttons are not equal.  My supplied file shows how I have had to place the buttons in crazy locations on the page at each breakpoint just to get them to align the way they are now in the live site.  This was the best I could do and it's not good enough... the client hates that it's not equally centered as it was before here:  thomas-mack.com/tm1

If I could just go back to locking these buttons in place and not have them slide, just stay centered on the page, this would no longer be a problem with this client.  Alas, you have forced us to be responsive with this widget and it is not done well at all.

2.  The responsive breakpoints of the site are now VERY slow to change once the breakpoint is hit.  The link to /tm1 above responds very quickly, but the live site is slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please view the Services section and Team section of this home page to see how it messes up the alignment as the browser goes smaller. Let me know if you will take a look at the Muse file for me and try to suggest a solution to this.  I really wish I could use the widget as it was before, but that is now impossible.

T&MDG | HOME

I'll tell you so. You use a lot of composition widgets on the site and nested in them widget slideshow. A lot of such widgets  create a very heavy page and from a technical point of view it's completely wrong (I waited more than a minute until your site boots). All this is good for prototype design, but not for a live site. These widgets have never been well managed in flexible breakpoints, even when they become flexible.

The fact that you did something with them in the previous version of the Muse - it was an accidental miracle. Muse is not suitable for creating a site with such a layout and so many popups on one page.

In addition, I do not see anything on your site that would require flexible breakpoints. If I was the developer of this site and faced all these problems, I would have remodeled it into a wordpress or joomla. But if I still stay in Muse, I would fundamentally revise the layout and use a completely different approach - fixed width, fixed breakpoints. Personally, I believe that this is the only acceptable approach to the Muse for a live site. Flexible width can be used only for prototyping and very rarely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the critique Pavel, but this site had been working great way before responsive even came to Muse. We had to adapt it to responsive just because it was then added into Muse and the client wanted it.  Thus the reason it really was not designed for it to begin with. It started as a Desktop, Tablet, Phone layout and then converted. There are only 2 composition widgets on the page, one for Our Services and one for Our Team.  The crazy layout of these section buttons in the file you downloaded is only due to the new responsive issues the widget has for buttons and thus I have to move the items around in each breakpoint to try to get them to position correctly as it scales.  The compositions then display the sections of data the client wanted in each lightbox.  It's a very clean and easy way to navigate through a lot of content and again, has worked great for more than a year until now. Everyone has there way of doing things though. This use to site load for us in less than 5 seconds even after clearing cache, but now the site is much slower with the new code, slower in it's breakpoint loading and just not coded well for breakpoints at all.  All due to the "updates" from Muse.  Version /tm1 using the 2017 version of muse does not have all the same issues.

After all these issues with Muse in 2017.1 and 2018, I am official writing Muse off as a viable website creation program.  I had VERY high hopes for what Muse would eventually be able to accomplish and thus allow us to not write so much code, but I have learned my lesson. We are going to be converting this site into WordPress ASAP and I doubt I will ever try to use Muse again for a client site. It's obviously not tested well by it's developers before issuing updates and causes more headaches than any program I have ever used from Adobe.  It's just no longer worth it:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schiemer  написал(а)

...and I doubt I will ever try to use Muse again for a client site...

I very long adhere to the principle - if I'm working in the Muse, I can sell only design to my clients (as if I was doing it in Photoshop), but not a turnkey website. Muse accelerates and improves the quality of the designer's work, but is not suitable for the development of live client sites. Muse is just for design - and you will not have any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any comments from Dani or the Muse Team on this?

Agreed that using too many widgets, images, etc. slows down the site. In most cases it is not even really necessary but stating Muse is only for design is extremely misleading. I understand that’s just your opinion.

Shiemer...I can tell you unequivocally if the site is generally less than 100 pages, not too loaded with widgets, and/or very large photo/video galleries Muse delivers a decent website in much less time to your client than WP or most other platforms. We use many different platforms but less so these days.

As a background for credible experience. Many of our clients we consult for are vey large corporations in various industries. 40 plus years.

Muse is used for intra sites in some cases and test sites in others.

A current trend in marketing is less emphasis on making the perfect website be the end all customer touch point. All marketing channels are critical. Branding, Logo, print, email, industry shows, sales calls, etc. no question loading speed “page speed” is very important. 2 seconds or less is ideal.

That said...Its important that your clients website tell their unique message quickly through simple non gimmicky complex design. It’s not print. So many websites being created look like print design. I think it’s a by product of how many designers have been unleashed on the web development world. it used to be that it was web design then the web developer built it...often that was and still is a battle between egos. The “coder” and the “designer”...let alone the client and what they actually want...Business ...

Check out Casper Beds, Fitbit and other sites. Most of these can and some were done in Muse originally. To designers it may look boring but there is more reliance on delivering business/customers!!! Tell the story message quickly rather than trying to tell everything about the company. “Why do we want to use or buy from you?”

Less is more is often more....especially for websites...Muse works in this regards. No it’s not a great CMS...but then WP is fraught with hacks and security holes too. There are many options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HMAM  написал(а)

I can tell you unequivocally if the site is generally less than 100 pages, not too loaded with widgets, and/or very large photo/video galleries Muse delivers a decent website in much less time to your client than WP or most other platforms.

I also understand that this is only your opinion. But I'm surprised and I can not agree with that. Muse is a program for laborious manual work. CMS as WP is a system for automation and mass content management. While in the Muse one page is made, in WP it is made ten pages and it is very underestimated indicator. Last month, I made a web site in joomla for two weeks with 189 pages. In Muse, I would make such a site for two months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A product page can be created without product with a master page then applied to the appropriate page. Add product title

description

buy now button...done

yes...there is no question that sites with large amounts of pages that need to be made over and over there are better choices.

I said I don’t disagree with that.

Muse lets clients have some access to updating the site themselves with out the typical $100 bucks every time they want to add or make a minor change. A good “basic site“ can be built with Muse, generally speaking, for a fraction of the cost and time. This is why so many other platforms like  Wix, Weebly, etc. are flourishing. But Muse is in its own category.

More sophisticated sites need and or require more sophisticated software. But many multimillion dollar companies are using Muse as well, so its not just my opinion...they see the niche value Muse has had for them. I am not going to argue that point any further...The fact these companies and many others are using Muse makes my case. No it’s not perfect but Muse works. Just check out “Design Strategies” Len uses Muse quite effectively for many companies ...and they are quite happy. He is only one...but there are hundreds if not thousands of similar people using Muse all the time very effectively for their clients and not charging the kinds of fees once paid for.

Many like Valence Power realize it is not necessary to have anything more than that which fills their need...produce revenue. It’s a simple “layer cake” design. It works...and that is all that is needed. (The guy was cofounder of Tesla by the way) They do not rely solely on a website to sell or be their only face to their buyers.

The only thing is that Muse is still doing, is creating very slow “page speed loads” compared to many other hand coded sites, but even WP can be painfully slow. This kills audience engagement ...the majority of users often leave and won’t wait more than a second or two. WP has “excellerators plugins” to aide In these shortcomings of what was just originally was a blogging platform.

Bottom line Muse does what it is suppose to. Just wish with better code and faster page loads. Last but not least...a website built by the old way often is overkill...they often can cost $30-40,000 quite easily. When a potential client is shown that a site that fits their requirements can be built for a fraction of the cost...and still accomplish their marketing goals they are all ears! Generally in these cases a WP site isn’t going to produce any more revenue than a Muse site...it’s about the message and content not the framework.

But this is all acedemic and too much to discuss here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines