Exit

P: Generated images violate user guidelines

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bunny.png

image (1).png

So as you can see, it's a PG-13 relatively inoffensive image of a woman in a bunny outfit. The top worked fine, and I was able to complete the top ear, which is cool. When I tried to extend the bottom with generative fill, though, I got this warning. They're just a pair of legs wearing stockings, and I wanted to extend it.

It feels like a false flag - though I could be wrong? I find myself thinking it would do the same for women in swimsuits.

Figured I'd share here.

Bug Started Locked
TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Dear Community,

On November 7th, 2023, the Firefly for Photoshop service was updated and improved for this issue. You should encounter fewer guideline errors when working on or near skin-tone areas that do not violate the community guidelines.

While the improvement is a big step in the right direction, we are continuing to explore new ways to minimize false-positives. Please continue to give us feedback on this new forum thread and also report false violation errors in the application.
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1376 Replies 1376
1,375 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said, Kevin. A year ago, none of this would have been possible! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kenneth259883092lw8 are you entering any values in the Generative Fill prompt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Any One Latter in Prompt Like . Dot and Generate... Thats Problem Solve

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm writing to you because I've been having a problem since today (haven't used the beta version of Photoshop for a little while).

Many times when I try to AI-generate an image on top of another one of mine, without even entering any text, I get an error telling me I'm doing things against Adobe's policies. Except I don't generate anything illegal because it's just stone textures, moss, etc... which for once is quite unpleasant because there's no reason why it should prevent me from working.

I can tell that I am on the latest version of Photoshop beta (uploaded today, July 23, 2023), that I'm on Windows 10.

Looking forward to your potential feedback or improvements,

Tom S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Editing a very crowded wedding. Found it impossible to get unobstructed photos of guests, so have been using Lightroom's remove tool where possible then flipping the image to PS Beta to do the rest. 

I am getting incredibly frustrated with Generative Fill, On 70% or more of the attempts I've made I get the 'violates guidelines' error. I get that when trying to remove people's heads which are right in the lower center of the frame like this one. This is cropped to about 20% of the frame. 

jjaylad_0-1690069299734.png

The policy doesn't really explain to me why it is a cardinal sin to remove an out of focus, overexposed face from a photo. I mean GF works great when it does but in cases like this I have to find other photos of tables with similar content and composite the image.

I think it's time for Adobe to have a tune up chat with Cardinal Dontletemdoit. He is far too conservative in making a sin out of doing this. I'm almost to the point of not even trying to use GF because it literally won't let me remove a spooky hand reaching into the frame and touching someone's shoulder.

Clone stamp, Spot Healing, Content Aware Fill etc. all work on those things and I absolutely do not understand what the problem is with Generative Fill. Is this just something they want to show off but don't really want us to use?

On that image I used Content Aware fill, which obliterated the head then I deselected all but that layer and ran GF after selecting the messed up area. 

jjaylad_0-1690070344657.png

Despite the fact that there are now no heads or body parts or Nuclear Codes ,,,I still got the same message:

jjaylad_1-1690070522642.png

This is completely NUTS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NickXVega_0-1690097210805.png

Whenever I try using generative fill on a picture with a woman in it, it says it violates community guidelines. I have tried editing a very similar picture with a man and it works fine. I know the woman who was used for the picture and she said it is okay for me to edit them and use them, I am only trying to increase the canvas size by using fill on the side portions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generative Fill is currently over-zealous in "censoring" image repairs. I understand if it cannot properly recognize a body part (i.e. an elbow) or mistakes it for something else which it deems might be offensive.

But, just now, it blocked and warned me when I was trying to remove a stained area from a jacket lapel?! If there's no workaround, please put me in touch w/ engineers for whom I can demonstrate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @NickXVega read this thread. Adding properly worded prompts, not leaving the prompt blank, etc. can resolve false flags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as has been mentioned many times, try using a period ( or full stop for UK users ),  in EVERY generative message, even using that in a blank space stops 99 % of the stupid guideline errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Big Ai Brother is definitely watching us. About an hour after my post, I was on YT, on nothing to do with this and was prompted to watch a video by Unmesh Dinda in which he demo'd putting a period (full stop) in the box. For sure Google is aware of every beat of our hearts! 

Anyway, late last night I tried it on several images I'd given up on, and it works great!

Thanks again. Great to know the answer would have surfaced here if G hadn't been eavesdropping and taken the situation in hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The admin should pin this info everywhere on the Beta pages. Might stop a lot of people giving up completely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the period option definitely is working as a work-around for the time being. I was skeptical that it would work but it is in fact working.

And now that I'm not getting constant errors I can finally see the power of this new tool. It is like turning photography into magic. Quite astonishing. And it even works on illustrations as well. Completely blows content-aware fill out of the water without question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out, just putting a black square over the centre of a person also allows it to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try entering a single period in the dialog box, then hitting enter
That is the workaround I'm using now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a Tan Make Up company that uses bikini photos all the time. I can't use photoshop's AI capabilities to improove their product photos. I think Adobe should fix this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@angelocollabs wrote

I can't use photoshop's AI capabilities to improove their product photos.

While Generative Fill is in beta, it cannot be used for commercial use.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to fix half visible flower, getting "AI Generated images were removed because they violate user guidelines"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to add generative fill to the whitespace on this picture, and I keep getting the userguidelines violation message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue. I saw a video by PixImperfect that said instead of leaving the prompt field blank, type a period (.) before hitting Generate. It hasn't failed since.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try adding the period ( or full stop ). That little workaround helps for most generations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using a period (".") worked, i hope Adobe team figures this out 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sebastian292242075jds thats the point of participating in a beta test - help the team improve the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it using any number of non-alphabetical characters (#, ^, ), etc.) and they all fix the same issue as using a period. Since some people prefer to just post to this forum rather than take the time to read it, maybe Adobe should update their guideline violation warning to include "Try again using a period or other non-alphabetical character as a prompt." 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just not sure Adobe's idea of 'improving the product' is the same as mine.

The introduction of this Ai feature seems to me to be being used to force restrictions on our use of the software which didn't exist before.

That doesn't feel like progress.

I don't care about whether it's a text prompt or a selection that is causing an error in Generative Fill. Why there are Adobe introducing any limitations at all?

I am aware that Ai could be used to create illegal content (just as Photoshop has always been able to), but are all of us millions of legitimate pro / enthusiast photographers and creatives REALLY going to be told by Adobe what we can and can't create in future, just because a tiny number of criminals could use it for nefarious purposes?

I know we are in beta, but I am presuming this auto-limitation is intended to be carried through to the release version?

If so, this really is ridiculous dictatorial big-brother stuff and I hope Adobe has a serious rethink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agree 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate