• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic>Edit in PS: Long Delay+Erroneous Error Message opening Ps Beta 2024 25.0

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently updated Photoshop Beta to 2024 v25.0 on my Windows 11 machine.

Now when I try to open photos from LR 12.4 using the "edit in...", it hangs up for a time and then comes up saying "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2024 could not be launched."

When I hit "Ok" it then opens the file in Photoshop 2024. 

This happens with every file, even if Photoshop 2024 is already up and running at the time. 

This does not happen with 2023 v24.7.

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Greetings all,

Lightroom Classic 12.5 released this evening.  If used in conjunction with PS Beta 25.0 or later, this erroneous error message plus long open wait time should be mitigated. Please install LrC 12.5 and make certain that your Beta is up to date.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

This thread will be

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1160 Replies 1160
1,160 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I need help please. I have the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom Classic and I can't edit a copy of a photo from Lightroom with Lightroom settings and it won't open in Photoshop 2023 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. When using "edit in photoshop" from Lightroom I get an error message saying "Photoshop could not be launched" but then it finally does it anyway... but it takes several minutes to do what used to just be a Ctrl E quick step. When I try "Open as Layers in Photoshop" Photoshop does open, but the images never make it there. The problem started happening when I installed the beta version of PS but uninstalling it didn't help. My workflow is so slow now, it's maddening. I'm behind on everything because of how long it takes to go between LR and PS... and composites are almost impossible. I have to import both images separately, then drag one of them into a layer in the other, then align them before I can even start working on them. Has anyone seen a fix that works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it is now August 16th. It appears that this still not has been addressed by Adobe. In Beta, still getting "Update Prompts". If updated, the original flipping from LR to PS returns. If you dont update, you cannot use generative fill. (so basically all same aspects of PS 2024). I dont think the migration of Beta servers is a 60 day project. I suspect there is another issue? @CoryShubert ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same issue and I decided to try uninstall / install again, and it worked for me, so far...
I first uninstalled Lightroom classic, install again.
Then removed PS Beta.
Then, since in LRC the preferences for external editing in PS was not linked, I uninstalled PS 2023 and installed it again.
Preferences were reset, and it works as before Beta bug.
I hope this could help, uninstall/install order might not be the best but it worked here.
Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! Not working or me either. Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , I've moved your post from the Photoshop forum to the Photoshop Beta forum where you are more likely to get help with your issue.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am having trouble determining if there is a way to use the BETA version 25 for Photoshop.  I have Windows 10, and my edit Preference is for PS 2024.  I can "edit a copy" export from LR to PS but the error message comes up with N use the "edit with LR adjustments".  I am reading through the posts but can't determine if this was resolved.  I had an issue earlier and I went back to the prior version but not the Generative Fill doesn't work in the prior version

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I have used this forum before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method I use reflects the way some 3rd party plugings edit in lightroom. Basically a psd copy is made with the current lightroom adjustments and exported to photoshop which then can be saved to lightroom. Make 2 export shortcuts for both photoshop and photoshop beta. I changed 4 settings for each: add to catalog, rename to filename-sequence, file type psd and open with photoshop.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I an not familiar with those steps you mentioned but will look for more info on how to do those.  At least I have a direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tracypage , Which issue the thread has several issues posted?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm still having issues with mine, and I use it in Windows. I checked my external editor stuff via the preferences menu, and it's set to Adobe Photoshop 2024, with no options to choose any other programs.

The lengthy wait to do AI generative fill is too long in my workflow. And not being able to revert back to 24.7 is really unhelpful. I get that the program is still in beta, but it's a HUGE inconvenience to creatives who have become accustomed to using the generative fill. It takes several minutes before an image from Lightroom eventually opens in Beta, and even then, I get a handful of error messages first. Any chance of this being fixed soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi emrosedee,

Have you tried using the export option in LRC suggested by RichPolk on about page 41 of this community chat? It's a workaround that will certainly reduce the time that you spend waiting for the file to open in PSbeta 25.0. It'll certainly get you through till Adobe fixes the problem properly. Well worth a try. 
Good luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgrading worked before, but not we have to "upgrade" to the broken version in order to use Generative Fill. Good job Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Lightroom Classic 12.5 released this evening.  If used in conjunction with PS Beta 25.0 or later, this erroneous error message plus long open wait time should be mitigated. Please install LrC 12.5 and make certain that your Beta is up to date.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

This thread will be closed as of this posting. If you see continued issues with an error message or long load time (minutes), please start a new thread and include complete system and software version information.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i have installed, actual PS Beta, PS Vers.24 and Lightroom classic, all versions are actual.

Since several days i have the problem when i was opening a photo, raw or tiff, from lightroom to ps, this works in the beta version, but the actual ps 24 version comes a failure, the pic cannot be opened in ps24  due to not found, after clicking ok, a tiff copy get created and than opened in ps 24.(PS 24 already opened)

So it loose a lot of time.

pls fix.

best regards from Germany

Andy Möller

photostudio Light-Style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please install the latest Lightroom update to version 12.5. The error with external editing in Photoshop has been fixed.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.7 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

I can confirm that the issue with external editing in PS Beta 25.0 has been fixed with the latest Lightroom update to version 12.5. It worked again.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.7 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening from LRC, it takes me to PS Beta, but the file doesn't open.  I then go back to LRC, where there is a message saying it is unable to open.  Then after a delay, it suddenly opens in PS Beta, but without any file information with it (file number, says untitled.tif).  When I go back to LRC theres a message saying it could not open because of internal error.

Normally, I would open the file from LRC into PSBeta, the file would have the file number, but changed from CR2 to tif, I would perform any edits, then save as tif, and a copy would be back in LRC.

Also, when editing the file that eventually opens up in PS Beta, the edits would not save, it simply saves an untouched version of the file as a .tif

I know you must be working on this because there have been many complaints.  The really annoying thing is, I couldn't use generative fill (because you disabled it on the previous version, telling me I had to update to get it) then when I update, I can't utilize it with my regular workflow. 

Please fix ASAP, I need it for work!

MacBook Pro 2021

32 GB

Ventura 13.4

LRC 12.4

PS Beta 25.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom command: "Open as layers in Photoshop" does not work. Photoshop starts but no image is loaded. Mac OS Monterey, Lightroom 12.5 Photoshop 24.7.0 Does anyone know a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I only can open it in PS as Smart Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

habe festgestellt das ich keine Bilder mehr von Lightroom in Photoshop als Smartobjekt öffnen kann. Es kommt die Fehlermeldung "Datei kann nicht gestartet werden da Photoshop 24 nicht gestartet werden konnte" Außerdem habe ich die Beta Version in der cloud installiert da geht es!!! Und ich habe das Gefühl das er immer zuerst auf die Beta Version zugreift, wie kann man diese gegenenfalls vermeiden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In der aktuellen LR Classic Version (12.6) ist es mal wieder nicht möglich, Bilder

zu Bearbeitung an Photoshop zu übergeben. Photoshop öffnet zwar, aber das Bild wird

nicht geladen. Wenn man es als SmartObject aus LR öffnet klappt das aber.

Es klappt werder mit Photoshop noch mit Photoshop beta.

Kennt jemand einen Workaround?

Vg,

Dirk 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac M1 Mini, Ventura v13.4.1

After updating LrC to v12.5 the pass-through to Ps v24.7 is not working for me.

Understanding LrC v12.5 resolved the issue for Beta Ps v25.

Again removing Beta Ps v25 and rolling back LrC to v12.4 and Ps v24.6 then restarting Mac all is now well.

Mark Stothard MA ARPS

Votes

Translate

Translate