• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Arabic variable fonts support in adobe apps in general

LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest adobe apps that support variable fonts doesn't support Arabic as the letters takes the isolated form without the basic Arabic features like initial, medial and final and so on  

Is there any intention to support Arabic in the future ?

Here is the link of the original post I posted in adobe forums

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10427582

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
20 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest adobe apps that support variable fonts doesn't support Arabic as the letters takes the isolated form without the basic Arabic features like initial, medial and final and so on  

Is there any intention to support Arabic in the future ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Arabic variable fonts are available?

Who produced them?

Maybe you should also post over at

Type & Typography

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Photoshop forum. Photoshop do supports Arabic well. Can you show examples perhaps or share a font for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example of the error 2018-06-04_13h41_59.jpg

the word عربي looks great in the first line because it's not a variable font

The bottom version is a variable font the letters is all isolated  ع ر ب ي and it should look like the upper version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not many Arabic fonts, the font i'm talking about is google's noto sans Arabic Variable it's from github

and also I tested myself some other (wrok in progress fonts and I got the same result)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the font "Noto Sans" it just doesn't have any Arabic glyphs! Can you share the font which you're using for better testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok

Here it is

link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font you shared with me showed the same problem as in your first post up here when used it in latest Adobe applications. However, when I used it in older InDesign CS5, it worked well.

I'm not sure who generated this particular font, because I went and downloaded same font from Google directly and it worked fine even on latest Adobe applications. Now legally I wouldn't do this, but practically we could regenerate the font you shared using our tables to make it function well with latest Adobe applications.

What are the advantages of variable fonts any way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem isn't the font itself it is in the adobe applications like Ps and Ai the support for arabic variable is not complete
the font was just an example and the font itself is from the github page of google fonts

and of course the versions of the web page you mentioned will work fine because they are not variable fonts they are regular fonts

as for the advantages of variable fonts , actually it's a game changing technology you can have a full font family with all the wights and widths in a single file , another thing you can have the exact weight that want not like regular font you have to choose from light or bold or ... because it's variable you can choose a weight that's between light and bold because you have all the range in between

I created a simple variable font to show you the problem

here is the test of the same font in axis-praxis.org

and in adobe apps like Ps and Ai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is indeed an incomplete implementation of the feature in Photoshop you might want to post a report over at

Photoshop Family Customer Community

That Forum is being monitored and maybe one of the Adobe employees will be able to provide some insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I'm not sure about which is why the font I downloaded from the font page directly worked in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign? While it didn't work for you?

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 7.18.37 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the answer is easy you downloaded a regular fonts not variable ... they work on my pc too , the question is not about that at all , the variable version is the one that's not working  and if you checked again in the first post , the screenshot shows the controls of the variable font

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. I have no answer, but please update this post if you posted elsewhere and managed to find an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEllo, how does that font behave in another program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the technology itself is new so it's supported in adobe apps and web browsers (new versions only) and the windows 10 as a system supports it

it works fine in chrome as showed in the youtube video above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Abody,

I can see what you're talking about using both Noto Sans Arabic as well as some flavors of Markazi Text.  It does definitely appear better on Mac and I've logged a bug to look into this.  At the time we added variable font enablement, there were no such fonts that supported Arabic.  If you know of other fonts I should look into, please let me know.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Abody,

When we first released variable fonts, there were none that had Arabic glyphs in them.  Now, there are a few and the results are mixed -- on Mac, Markazi works just fine, but not so always on Windows.  Noto Sans Arabic is problematic on both platforms.  If you have additional variable fonts with Arabic glyphs, please share and I'll test them too.  I have opened a bug on this issue and hopefully we'll get this resolved soon.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your attention

there is also Clother Variable it can be tested here

v-fonts.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe PS & Ai do not support left-to-right opentype features in arabic variable font.

This is a bug that caused Arab users not to use variable fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate