• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Artboard guides shows in a different color in 23.4.1 created in the previous version of Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Photoshop (23.4.1)
  • Windows 10 Pro

Hi. Today I updated to the latest version 23.4.1 and was unpleasantly surprised that the guides in my artboards were the same color as the canvas guides.

Naturally, in the previous version of the editor (23.3.2) in the Preferences > Guides, Grids & Slices... I had different colors set for the canvas and artboard guides. The Preferences are preserved in the new version and work correctly when I create new guides in the document. However, everything that was created earlier just rolled back to a single color.

I don't know if it makes sense to tell HOW inconvenient and destructive it is. Hundreds of documents with thousands of artboards. Yes, there is a new feature with customizing the color of the guides (which, I think, is the cause of my bug) - this is, of course, great ... But in Photoshop there is no way to quickly select all the guides of a selected artboard in order to somehow (albeit extremely painfully) roll back to the desired result.

Thus, the result I expected (which was not achieved) after the update:
In previously created documents, the colors of the guides (canvas and artboard) do not change spontaneously, but remain the same as those that were set in the Preferences when the document was last saved in the version preceding the update.

I did not find another way to return everything as it was, except to roll back the version to the previous one. Sadly. Hope you fix this bug soon.

{Thread title edited by the moderator}

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating   

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

An update to the issue @nrgzone reported: after speaking with our engineer, the behavior reports is as designed. When we drag a new guide, it is in a selected state. The selected guides have a blue color. When a user clicks somewhere else on the canvas, the guide is deselected; hence, the color is set to the color setting in preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Hi @nrgzone @nkandybin 

Thank you for reporting this issue. I have forwarded this issue to our engineering team and they are investigating a fix.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
17 Comments
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem. When starting a new document with no artboards, any canvas guide I create via dragging from the ruler is originally an artboard (blue) guide until I switch to the move tool and click somewhere, then it'll turn into a canvas guide (cyan). I absolutely HATE this extra step. So much so I reverted back to the previous version until the guides are returned to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @nrgzone @nkandybin 

Thank you for reporting this issue. I have forwarded this issue to our engineering team and they are investigating a fix.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Mohit Goyal !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update to the issue @nrgzone reported: after speaking with our engineer, the behavior reports is as designed. When we drag a new guide, it is in a selected state. The selected guides have a blue color. When a user clicks somewhere else on the canvas, the guide is deselected; hence, the color is set to the color setting in preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nkandybin We have investigated the issue and are working on the fix for the July release (tracked as ticket PS-90302).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it's not that. That's how it used to be, that it was in the selected state, but the default was a Canvas guide. Now, it's defaulting as an Artboard guide even though no artboards were created. When you select the move tool and click somewhere it then converts it to a Canvas guide, which seems like a bug. That behavior just started with the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 10 by the way. If you drag a guide on the previous Photoshop versions and try it with the latest version you'll see what I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional info, we will investigate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has impacted my productivity negatively. I use guides a LOT for my job, and now have to take the extra step to click elsewhere to deactivate the guide. This is beyond an annoyance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating   

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Updated to 23.4.2. It is still happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredibly exhausting and infuriating. I have been a consistent Photoshop user since 1999. I rely on this software to meet deadlines and thus, pay my bills. I pay for the subscription because this isn't a novelty for me, it's a tool. More and more these days I open Photoshop to yet another broken feature I must either accept and find ways to get my work done or spend hours searching for solutions in message board after message board only to find work arounds. I waited for this latest update for a fix. It's here now and guess what- NO FIX. I'm slowly making use of alternatives like Clip Studio, and if Adobe continues on this trajectory I'm out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mohit Goyal  I can confirm the issue is still there after updating to this latest version. With guides, if you don't lock them they're always editable, so there's no reason for them to be individually "active" when you first drag them onto your canvas. In version 23.3.1 and below, you used to be able to drag a guide and then do your next thing. You'd be able to move them around anytime you wanted just by hovering over them if you wanted to move them. But now, there's an extra step, you have to manually deselect new guides by clicking a tool. It doesn't make any sense to have the extra step when before you didn't need to do that and you were still able to move them at will just by hovering over them. This was a completely unnecessary change. Please ask the team to revert that back to how it was on v23.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guides.jpg

@Mohit Goyal Hopefully this image helps. New guides used to be cyan and you didn't need to deselect them, so your keystrokes still effected the objects on the layer. Now, they come in medium blue and "active", and if you don't manually deselect them, your keystrokes effect the guide instead of the objects on the layer until you do deselect the guide. It's an unnecessary extra step. If anything, can you guys at least add a toggle to choose if you don't want them to be active? I don't see any benefit of them being "active", when before you could still edit them by just hovering over them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to 23.4.2 canvas guides are now dark blue instead of cyan, and can't change the color to anything else. When I pull the guide out of the ruler, it's blue, but if I then click anywhere in the ruler, it turns to the correct cyan color. Yes, I have the color in preferences set to cyan, but it doesn't effect the guide color, nor does any other color change it from blue. Is there any way to fix this? Cyan was perfect...the dark blue is difficult to see depending on the colors in the photograph. 

Thanks to anyone who can resolve this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@nrgzone and @nkandybin We have been working on a change of behavior please test when the fix goes out on 8/17 or after (9:00pm PT).

Votes

Translate

Translate