Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Can't paste a path, copy/paste path duplicates layer instead

Participant ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Platform: Macbook Pro.

I updated to Photoshop 21.1.0 and having path pasting problems.

With an existing PSD file:
I am trying to paste entire paths and path segments into other paths, or into new blank paths, and it is not working. Instead, the shortcut wants to copy/paste a new layer. I can't paste a path. Even if I flatten the PSD and try again.

With a brand new blank flattened file:
No problem.

With a brand new blank PSD file, add new layer, save, close, open and try to copy/paste path:
***PROBLEM!***

With a flattened TIFF:
No problem.

With existing layered TIFF:
Problem.

I work extensively with paths when I retouch and tried to troubleshoot every way I could think of, nothing is working. I even tried to turn on quick mask to see if there was some trick I could use, it did not work. I restarted. That did not help.

This is extremely concerning if I have a complicated path to edit from an existing PSD in my workflow. If I have to create a flattened TIFF for every file I edit a path for, it's ridiculous.

I'm going to rollback the Photoshop update to the previous version.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020
Please install the 21.1.1 update that went out this AM. It should address this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
18 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried deselecting the layer before copying the path? If the layer's highlighted in layers palette, Command click on it to deselect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course. This is a simple thing I have been doing for years almost daily when I edit paths for my clients. 

This is happening even with a flat file that is a PSD. No need to deselect any layer. It will copy the background layer and create a copy of that background layer. But it only happens with an existing PSD or TIFF, not one that you just created. If it is a new PSD, I would close the file, open it again, and the problem continues again with said 2-second old PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just rolled back to the previous version and I hope it is an issue other people will notice and speak up about because I don't have time to waste when clients are waiting for images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa,

I'm experiencing the same issues. I'm also on a Macbook Pro, and it is also a brand new issue that I hadn't had for years on the same device.

Obviously, I started . by purging all preferences from PS and AI. Then restart Macbook.

To be clear:

1. Problem #1: I can no longer copy-paste a path from PS to AI, but I can copy-drag from PS to AI (AI to PS still works perfectly).
  2. Problem #2: whenever I want to copy-paste a path within Photoshop, it copies the whole layer/folder on which the path is applied.

When doing so, I am using the Path Selection Tool and it did work perfectly until yesterday.

There's clearly a PS bug, but I cannot see where.

Clément

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported this the day Photoshop version 21.1 came out and got some reply from Adobe:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-21-1-0-on-catalina-mac?rfm=1&to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone encountered can not copy and paste the path in photoshop lately? And how to settle it? thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revert to version 21.0.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erika, I found a workaround that does not require reversion - cmd -x (cut) + undo + paste. This gets the path into the clipboard so it can paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - Select path segment, push cmd-c or menu "copy" and cmd - v (paste) results in pasted layer pixels instead of path segment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should just work the way it did. Select path segment, copy, paste. simple. There's nothing we are doing as users that is causing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I hope that works for someone else. I'm not taking my chances again and waiting for the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please install the 21.1.1 update that went out this AM. It should address this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was anxious to see if this issue had been addressed, while I was reading through the 21.1.1 update listing 😉

SO GLAD you guys finally corrected it, my workflow was slowed down because of this (ok, just a bit... 😉 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed and this seems to correct most of the issues. Why won't the "Add/Subtract point tool" react to the traditional shortcuts? It really slows down editing paths to have to point and click on the toolbar!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. I'm going to hold off updating this for a while. Especially if the "Add/Subtract point tool" is not working quite right. If this doesn't allow me to create and edit paths at my normal speed, I don't want to take the risk.

But at least the copy/paste issue was addressed (which I can't personally confirm because I'm not updating).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why now can't safe images in Jpeg file ? no Jpeg on the file listing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, why can't save to Jpeg file ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,