P: Convert to Video Timeline option missing - Apple M1 devices

28 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to select anything but "Create Frame Animation" in the Timeline. I am trying to create a Video Timeline, but not using Frame animation. This option isn't in the bottom left or top right of the Timeline menu.

I have tried resetting my preferences, uninstalling and re-installing, creating a new document, and converting all layers to smart objects, and none of those have worked. I have a macbook pro with macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 with an Apple M1 chip.

Thank you for the help!

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022
Hi I think you have to run Photoshop under Rosetta, more info https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021
If you're on a new Apple M1 processor machine, video isn't current supported. It's coming in the future. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html Run in Rosetta until native support is available for video.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021
I figured it out, I had to run the software through rosetta.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 447 Replies 447
447 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I've been using photoshop to edit/animate for 3+ years and it stopped letting me import .mov and .mp4 files with the newest update. Anyone know a way around this? Only luck i've had so far is importing video files as gifs but that's a lot more limiting let me know if there's a work around please ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So sorry to hear you are having this problem. Here is a link to the known issues that the engineers are dealing with: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

The issue you've desicribed is not listed here but it may give you some options to try. One of them is to turn off your graphics processor card and see if that fixes the problem. You will see the steps in the link listed above.

May I recommend that you add this error to the list by visiting the following form: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Select the product from the Drop Down menu, accept the terms, and explain the issue.

I am not sure if this will help, but I thought you might be interested in another thread--it is an older thread, but you might be able to glean some information to help with your issue:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/cant-open-video-in-photoshop-could-not-complete-the-video-f...

Let us know if turning off the graphics processor card fixes the issue?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again!

I found this thread that gives more feedback about the recent update and problems with video that I think would give you some more information: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/video-file-not-opening-in-photoshop-2020/td-p/10804494?page...

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing I've done so far has worked and I've tried everything would it be better to call support? Normally it was as easy as dragging and dropping a video clip into photoshop now it's taken hours and hours of trying to figure out why it's not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am just checking back to see if you were able to talk to support or get any resolution to the issue?

I just have one quick question--did you try turning off your graphics processor card and restarting to see if that solved the issue? 

Let us know!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've been experiencing this same exact issue! Were you ever able to solve it? I spent 7 hours on the phone with Adobe customer service today and nothing we tried worked. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/kfh8ma/video_file_cannot_be_openedunrecognized_format/?u...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past several weeks, I have been using Photoshop to create simple animated gifs using both video files and animations. I just updated the software to v 22.3 and updated my Mac (MacBook Air M1) to v 11.2.3. Now, out of nowhere, Photoshop will not open a video file? I have tried .mov, MP4, renaming the file, checking my Privacy settings in the Mac, Video Encoding... Nothing works! When I open Photoshop and click the "Open" button or go to "File > Open" every video file on my Mac is grayed out.

Please help!

P.S.- please don't tell me to use a differnt program; I am a teacher and we are already invested in using Photoshop to create the gif files. I will only resort to an alternative if there are no other fixes. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reinstalled the previous version and that worked. Note to anyone else or Adobe engineers- this is a glitch that needs to be addressed!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone can open video files with Photoshop after update to 22.3? I'm using an M1 Mac Mini.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, no problems over here…

What kind of Video files? What error message do you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with mp4 files and mov. Photoshop said that can't read that kind of files, but until I update later today to the new version for Apple Silicon, it worked 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open videos in Photoshop 22.3 on intel mac book pro 2015 (mojave) but not in the same version of Photoshop on M1 mac mini (Big Sur 11.2.3).

M1 Photoshop does not even show "video" in the available formats in "open" dialogue window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot export an animation to video anymore. I'm on Photoshop 22.3 on a Mac M1. What can I do? The option is not even visible in the menu. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Has anybody had this problem? I want to insert a video into an image and have found a simple YouTube tutorial, which I tested last week. It was done by making a rectangle a Smart Object and then working in the 'Create Video Timeline' feature.

But when I went to do the task for real yesterday, when I open the Timeline window I'm only given the option to Create Frame Animation - there is not option to Create Video Timeline. When I tried it last week, it was already showing 'Create Video Timeline' when I opened the window, but I have updated the OS and now it is gone completely. I wonder if they're linked.

Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 09.57.28.png

I am using Photoshop CC 22.3.0 on Big Sur 11.2.3.

Can anyone suggest a fix? I have been onto Adobe support all day and they can't seem to grasp what the problem is.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Seems it's an issue with v22.3 not working properly with the M1 chipset: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html#sa_src=web-messaging

I reinstalled v22.2 and it's reappeared.

Apparently installing Rosetta should help it: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861#sa_src=web-messaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Finally, Photoshop supports M1 processors, however, the newly updated version doesn't open video file formats. I'm trying to open MOV and MP4 files and it says: "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

Yesterday (on a previous version) everything was fine...

MacBook Pro 13'', M1 chip, 16GB RAM

Mac OS Big Sur, 11.2.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same issue! such a bummer!

adobe, please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, 'open with Rosetta' works. But there is no point in updating to 22.3 then 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Open with Rosetta' option works, but there's no point in installing 22.3 v....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My HP computer can't function well with photoshop 2021, so I bought Mac M1 this year.

Unfortunately, photoshop 2021 in Mac M1 doesn't have the foundtion to make timelapse??

is there any one know why? 

after loaded photos by FILE-SCRIPTS-LOAD FILES INTO STACK, under the time line, there is only CREATE FRAME ANIMATION in drop down menu, but in Windows photoshop 2021, there are two options: 1.CREATE VIDEO TIMELINE, 2. CREATE FRAME ANIMATION

Any one the why? or how long we will be waiting for update?

Thanks

Worf

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. The only option I have is "Create Frame Animation" and "Create Video Timelimne" is nowhere to be found.
MacBook Pro 13 with M1 chipset, OS Big Sur v11.2.3, with Photoshop CC v25.2.1
The system didn't say anything about installing Rosetta when I launch the app and as far as I know the computer came with Rosetta 2 already installed so I reallt don't feel comfortable with messing with that.
So aggravating! Hope Adobe re-codes their software to run on Apple Silicon better soon.
ADOBE, ARE YOU READING THIS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glad it's not just me.   Reverted back to previous version.   No sense in screwing with work-arounds at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini9,1

Chip: Apple M1

Total Number of Cores: 8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency)

Memory: 16 GB

No import, no export option. Not even "create video timeline" button.

No support at all.

Therefore, it supports video in Rosetta mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

With my Macbook Air M1 and the new photoshop release ready for M1 processor I can't open a Mp4 video. With every old version I can.... can you help me? Thank you in advance.

Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate