• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Create new window not reflecting right dimensions from clipboard

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having an issue with photoshop where File > New > is not auto-inputting the clipboard size into the canvas size for the new document. This has worked on every version of photoshop until this point. I sadly ended up on version 23.3.2 (photoshop just updated itself in the last couple days I guess without me noticing, and I am pretty sure I had that auto update turned off since I reverted back to 22.2 a couple weeks ago, sigh)

Have you guys considered testing your product before launching updates? I reverted back to 22.2 because of all the bugs I was experiencing with the latest versions. Seems turning auto update off cant even save me. 

{Thread title modified by moderator}

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Hi everyone, 

The fix for this should be available to all now and will come from the Creative Cloud desktop app, and not through a Photoshop update. 

To update: 

• Visit the Creative Cloud Desktop app's "Updates" tab, and click Check for Updates. 
  • If that doesn't resolve it, try signing out of Creative Cloud desktop app, and signing back in.

If you performed this workaround, you may need to revert those workaround steps to receive the updated plugin. 

If updated successfully, you will se

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Just switched to Legacy "New Document" Interface and it works fine that way.

Edit > Preferences > General > check Use Legacy "New Document" Interface

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 310 Replies 310
310 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like this my reply went to a wrong comment and I can't edit it. So it was meant for Jaim Lemos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suffering same issue, will be a recent update. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Steven2503605022gy – That worked but note... "Preferences" is in the "photoshop" menu, not "edit" -- But thanks for saving me!

It depends on the platform, Mac and Win have different places for Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stuartd62642865 – Suffering same issue, will be a recent update. Please fix.

I'm sure that the development team are fixing this. Until then you have two workarounds, totally disable the "new" new doc interface by enabling the "legacy" prefs option, or use a script to create new from the clipboard while retaining the new interface for everything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, @esaa92482102, I understand. Adobe is aware of the bug, and it's been reported to the engineering team. You can read in this thread that the issue is a bug that is currently marked as “Investigating.” We'll have to wait for future updates to see if the new “New Document” panel can retain clipboard dimensions seamlessly. https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-create-new-window-not-reflecting-right-dim....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteIt depends on the platform, Mac and Win have different places for Preferences.
@Stephen_A_Marsh 

Meanwhile, photoshop team will preach "Continuity" when destroying everyone's workflow "so its the same across platforms!" 🤦‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on the platform, Mac and Win have different places for Preferences.

Stephen_A_Marsh 

Meanwhile, photoshop team will preach "Continuity" when destroying everyone's workflow "so its the same across platforms!" 🤦‍:male_sign:

By @SimplTrix

SimplTrix, there are some things that are part of macOS and Windows OS that Adobe, Microsoft, Intuit, Blender, and every other software company have no control over.

• All Mac software has an Application menu. Windows never does. Preferences are always in the Application menu on Macs. They are always in the Edit menu on Windows.
  • Macs have one shared menu bar that is always at the top. It changes depending on which application is active. Windows always has the menu bar as part of the application itself.
  • The Close, Minimize, and Maximize buttons each have their own look.
    janee_2-1656530469191.gif

When Apple made the change to their API, it immediately broke the Save As system in Photoshop. The engineers were able to come up with a workaround relatively quickly, even though it threw us all off course for a short while.

When I started teaching Adobe software 33 years ago, we had separate classes for Macs and Windows. The software was so different that we couldn't put students into the same classroom. Now there are very few platform differences (I still use both), and I am very happy that Adobe strives for continuity across platforms.

I hope this helps,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started a few days ago, not sure if it's related to a program update. I'm using Photoshop version 23.4.1 from Creative Cloud on Windows 10. When copying an image from the internet, I go to photoshop to paste it into a new image, and the size of the new image I get to paste into, instead of matching what’s in my clipboard, is a different size. The New Image interface is different, showing on a large left pane "Recent Items" with the sizes of multiple items, I guess images I recently worked with? Googling to find a solution, I've found nothing similar. I will appreciate some help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that seems to work is CTRL-C, CTRL-N, ESC, CTRL-N, CTRL-V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pixel8mb, ive had the same issue the past few weeks so today I contacted Adobe support about it as it was driving me crazy that such a simple and common function in the program had changed and we the users were not informed about it.

It took me 2 support agents, 2 remote sessions, who eventually advised me to install a previous older version of photoshop and then after all that 3 hours later finally a senior advisor informed the agent helping me to go to File>Preferences>General>Use Legacy "new document" interface, check this box, it fixes the issue. Why the suppot agents themselves aren't trained and informed of such changes in the software so they can help us users more easily is beyond me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @pixel8mb ,

Let us know if @complexity 's recommendation works for you

Best

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Apple made the change to their API, it immediately broke the Save As system in Photoshop. The engineers were able to come up with a workaround relatively quickly, even though it threw us all off course for a short while.
Jane

Striving for continuity is fine unless you end up with an inferior product.

I remember the Save As fiasco and windows users were going to be left with the most basic function (Save as) broken, for the sake of "continuity", but PS didnt expect the uproar from windows users. How was their "solution" to break Save as function for windows users in the first place though... "for continuity"... really? Thats either lazy, or horrible engineering, or both. We had to fight like crazy just to get it back

This time around breaking another basic function (auto clipboard size) is again either lazy or horrible engineering.

Theres obviously a problem with the engineering department if these are the kind of updates they push out.

Why can't they even get the "Reply" function to work properly, or the Quote feature to work properly, in this very forum. 

It should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be functionality first, not destroying decades of workflow memory second, and continuity third. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My dear complexity! Thank you so much for taking the hit for me and other users and for sharing the solution you struggled so hard for and finally discovered. It works like a charm! It's such a relief. I hope others will find your post. I still don't understand why the way size of new images now works was considered a good idea in the first place!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thatnks, this was driving me crazy.

With all the additons of "use legacy (insert normal function here)", you would think Adobe would stop messing around with default behaviors we have all become accustomed to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, complexity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe realize that professionals are paying a subscription for these tools?
Have the developers ever had to use photoshop to meet a deadline in order to pay rent, mortgage, or eat?
Why must we wonder what shortcut will be stripped or changed everytime there's an update?
Is someone getting their kicks? Little things like this is a continuation of "NEW CUSTOMERS GET 3 FREE MONTHS, AND TO OUR LOYAL 20 YEAR CUSTOMERS, HERE'S NOTHING"
Please, just stop already. You're pretty close to monopolizing design so we get it, you're cool, we bow down to you... UNCLE already!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for asking a great question, it really helped community ! people are awesome who are trying to help giving their expert advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me, too. It was driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the latest update to Photoshop (23.4.1) on Windows, creating a new document from the clipboard is using a default image size that doesn't match the dimensions of the image stored in the clipboard. I'm on Windows 11, but it also had the same behavior on Windows 10 before my upgrade a week ago.

To reproduce: 

Use the Snipping Tool app on Windows to select an area from the display. 

Open Photoshop, select File/New. 

The clipboard option will show the size of the image on the clipboard, but the actual document size that's created when it's chosen will be the dimensions of a previous image.  It looks as if Photoshop is inspecting a list of previous clipboard sizes and choosing the wrong one, like an off-by-one indexing error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a well known bug by now, there have been many reports on the forum.

You have three choices until this is fixed:

1) Go into prefs and enable the legacy new document interface

2) Use a script (which allows you to retain the new document interface without using legacy)

3) Some users have had success renaming a certain folder

I'll dig up the link as topics such as this are being merged into one topic so that the developers can keep track of the reports:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-create-new-window-not-reflecting-right-dim...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. I couldn't work out how to resolve this after hours playing around I decided to search on the forum and I came across your solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

une sorte de bug étrange est apparu lors de la dernière mise-à-jour (23.4.1) quand on veut créer un nouveau document depuis le presse-papier.

D'habitude, Photoshop détectait le format de la capture d'écran et la plaçait dans les "formats réçents", ce qui permettait de cliquer directement sur "Créer" ("Create") ou d'appuyer sur Entrée et ensuite on n'avait qu'à Ctrl+V pour placer notre capture d'écran sur le canvas.

Le problème maintenant c'est que, bien que Photoshop continue de proprement détecter les dimensions de la capture et de le mettre dans les formats récents, ce dernier n'est pas réellement sélectionné (même si l'encadrement bleu le montre comme tel, les dimensions à droites sont incorrectes), et il faut cliquer sur un autre format réçent (par exemple à sa droite, re-cliquer dessus ne fait rien) avant de re-cliquer dessus et enfin de cliquer "Créer" ou d'appuyer sur Entrée pour avoir avoir un document aux bonnes dimensions.

Le bug est présent sous Windows 10 et 11, testé sur 2 PC différents, merci de résoudre ce problème assez stupide qui ajoute 2 clics inutiles à une opération qui n'en prennait qu'un auparavant.

PS : Je suis certains qu'implémenter les NFTs dans l'appli au détriments de fonctionalité de bases qui fonctionnaient parfaitement bien ravi les développeurs et les actionnaires, surtout quand on leur paye nos licences 60€ par mois à vie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 12.1 and 12.4

Photoshop 23.1.0 and 23.4.1

When I work on a document using healing brush and doing daily retouching of some RGB image, I have random canvas "freeze" as it does not update any more. I need to close the document, re-open and hope to finish editing without much freezing. It helps however if I turn off Overscroll, Enable Flick Panning, Animated Zoom. Attached I am sending you a video for a proof 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What [cursing removed by moderator] are the engineers at Adobe doing? We've had the same filter options for fifteen years. Guess they're too busy breaking things that work like copy/paste or arrows to give 2D artists any meaningful new functionality. Just a tip, for the cost of one month of Photoshop you can buy Procreate forever. Maybe you guys should [abuse removed by moderator] while you still have a job. 

Votes

Translate

Translate