• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Freezing, cursor stuck when scrolling/flick panning

Participant ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, over the years we've generally found Photoshop to be one of the most stable of all apps we use. But lately, it's been freezing a lot when doing relatively simple editing. We've updated to the very latest version (21.1.2) on a late 2013 Mac Pro with 24GB RAM. 

What seems to be causing the freeze is just scrolling around a zoomed-in image when using the spot healing brush tool on grayscale TIF images that aren't overly huge or complex. But this may just be coincidence since it's a pretty common task. But using the space-bar scroll will just suddenly freeze and the image becomes completely unresponsive. Fortunately, I am typically still able to access menus, including 'File/Save'! Sometimes I'm able to just save & re-open the file to get it to work again, other times I must restart PS.

- Is this common? 

- Anything we can try to resolove (if clearing prefs, any specific - as they seem to be pretty widespread and in multiple places)?

Seems like this has only recently started happening, so not sure if one of the recent updates has caused this. We've never experienced this kind of thing with PS over the years.

Thanks! 

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning" and "Animated Zoom". Restart Photoshop. Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 147 Replies 147
147 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I have a brand-new PC, the latest Photoshop version, some issues occur when I use it: the appli "freeze" sometimes when I use the Move Tool. I can still roll Menues, save and so on. But, I can't use other tools anymore. The Move tool is blocked. Surprisingly, another open document will not be "freezed" and will work normally. I have to close and open the file again to keep working.

I have disabled everything in connection with Windows Ink, I added PSUserConfig.txt in the PS settings as I was told, but I still got that problem while working... I thought it was perhaps in connection with older PS files, but no.

My stuff:

Updated W10

Updated Photoshop version

Wacom Intuos 4 PTK640 (with updated pilote)

Keyboard Logitech K120+mouse

Any solutions?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here with both 23.0.1 and 22.5.3, it's really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning" off. Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• The problem occurs in photoshop, and is only resolved by closing and re-opening a document. in photoshop.
  • If I re-load the video card driver, photoshop remains broken.

The problem is not the driver, the problem is photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appreciate that. I am just tired of seeing the video card driver blamed. I guarantee you that the people suggesting you update drivers have no idea what changed between the running version and the latest version or if it will make a difference when proposing the solution.

In my experience, updating the video card driver has resolved my problem with Adobe products 0 times. This may be because I keep my video card drive up to date hoping that it will fix some of the problems I have with Photoshop, and Premiere.

If the video card driver has bugs, and is not working with your product why not go the card manufacturer and submit a bug with them. The alternative is to just use them as a scapegoat and continue to ignore lingering bugs that are causing customers real pain. Surely it is someones job at adobe to work with oems on driver issues. If there isnt anyone in that role, thats a problem.

If  there are known working drivers, why not post the version somewhere so we all know which ones to download. It doesn’t have to be every version, give me 1 blessed driver version per year and I will be happy. Very happy, and I suspect others would too.

I have been a Photoshop user since version 3.0 and I have never  spent so much time troubleshooting as I do today. I am pretty self-sufficient when it comes to computers and associated bits, I am posting in the forum it means things are really bad.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not completely clear from your answers, but did disabling Flick panning help at all as a workaround? or did it freeze even with that setting off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to finish retouching the photo I was working on withoug a hang after disablign flick panning. I have not worked on a second document, but in my experience It would have frozen 3-4 times before I finished and it did not. I think its fixed. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it's OK now! Thanks! But how can I get the Flick Panning back? And why this happens? I forgot to state one thing: most of the time, this occurs when I use the spacebar shortcut. I have always a finger on this while working because I have to move my document a lot when drawing... May be a too old keyboard?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an issue that is being worked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour à tous, 

A la suite d'un passage à Win 10 et donc d'un réinstall complète de la suite Adobe avec photoshop 23.0.2, je rencontre désormais un problème, mon photoshop se gele, mais ne plante pas, à savoir que je ne peux plus rien faire sur le document, ni zoomer, ni dessiner , ni déplacer des objets, rien, cependant je peux enregistrer mon travail mais je dois ferme photoshop de manière "normale" avant de le réouvrir, cela arrive aléatoirement mais BIEN TROP SOUVENT.

Parmis les solutions essayées, réinstalle d'une version antérieure de photoshop 22.0, idem, réinstalle d'une version antérieur de mon driver de carte graphique, idem.

Est ce que quelqu'un parmis vous a déja svp rencontrer ce problème ? ou quelqu'un de l'assistance aurait-il une solution ?  

Merci d'avance 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning" off. Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flick panning issue just came back for me. It happened as I flick and went a little to far outside of the document window. Guess I have to turn off flick panning again unless Adobe is planning to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey, It seems to be work, I didn't have any crash since I've tried your solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have noticed when working on a project a function (such as painting) will suddenly stop working - it looks like it's working, but does nothing.  When I close the file, then re-open the file, the exact same function works...  seems odd, but thought I'd share in the event this is something that can be looked into.

( PS 23.1 - Windows 11 version 21H2)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning" off. Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey - just "unchecked" - since the problem has not been as consistent I'll need to work in general today to see if the problem recurres or not - if it does, will get back with you as soon as it does - if it does not, I'll confirm in next couple of days.

Thanks so much!  Appreciated 🙂

(also, I posted to general community an issue with neural filters - in the event there is a "fix" in the preferences, please do let me know)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, no more issues with this  - thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 23.1.1

Windows 10 Home

Version 21H1

OS Build 19043.1466

Hello, here is my problem. The hand tool when selected from the tools works as intended. I am able to pan with a great degree of control. However, while using the spacebar it only partially works.

Firstly, The hand tool lets you let go of the mouse while scrolling (which is good). The view retains its momentum and slows to a stop (also good). The trouble is that while the view is slowing down the view does not seem to update the motion if you attempt to pan again while the view is still in motion. After the motion stops the view updates and usually looks like a jarring jump to the new location. I have a video attached showcasing the bug. You can see that while the view is sliding I move it in another direction and the view jumps after a delay.

This issue only happens when using the spacebar with the hand tool. The regular hand tool works as expected. The view updates and changes directions when clicked and moved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning" and "Animated Zoom" off. Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for the reply. Yes, the issue does go away when I disable those settings but I do lose the smooth motion that the flick panning offered. I can live perfectly fine with it though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff I have the same probl as everyone above but I've already deselected animated zoom and enable flick planning. Do you have any other solutions? I'm using a Wacom cintiq pro and I use windows. All of my drivers are updated and so is Photoshop. I have a deadline that's seems impossible to finish when I need to restart the program and computer 10-20 times a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gente,

Alguém já presenciou este erro, durante a edição de fotos o photoshop simplesmente para de funcionar as funcões dele na foto em que eu estava editando, as outras fotos abertas ainda funcionam, este erro está ocorrendo constantemente quando edito, uso a ultima versão disponivel na Creative Cloud.

Segue link do vídeo onde ocorre o erro, avancem para 09:00 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6qGwjHFzIE&ab_channel=RafaelOliveira

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning" and "Animated Zoom". Restart Photoshop. Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, there is a bug which existed since I bought photoshop, this bug happens frequently and can be reproduced reliably on my PC. Basically, when zooming and panning while drawing on my table, sometimes the canvas freezes completely, Photoshop is still running, I can close the document and reopen it to fix the issue, but it happens too frequently that it is starting to frustrate me a little bit, I attached a video which shows how I reproduced the issue, I was basically panning and moving the canvas while drawing.

I have a Huion H610Pro V2 tablet, my PC is pretty beefy, 32GB ram and Ryzen 2700.

Votes

Translate

Translate