• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC (11.0.1) Edit in PS2022 fails because Photoshop could not be launched - Error Message

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating my subscription to Adobe for Photographers (Photoshop & Lightroom) I am having an issue when launching Photoshop 2022 from Lightroom v11.

If I right click on the image I'm working on in Lightroom and select 'Edit in Photoshop 2022' I am asked whether or not I want to edit a copy or the original (as I would expect). 

If I select "Edit Original" everything works to plan, the image opens in Potoshop and I can proceed.

However:

If I select either "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" or "Edit a Copy" I have an issue.
I can see the copy being created on the Film Strip at the bottom of the Lightroom screen, Photoshop starts up and stops at the launch screen but the image fails to open in photoshop.

If I wait for 2 or 3 minutes I recieve an error message in Lightroom: "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched"

If I then select 'OK' in the error message the image immediately opens in Photoshop and I can work away.

This morning an followup update to Photoshop 2022 (to Ver: 23.0.1) was installed and it made no difference.
This afternoon Camera Raw also had a followup update to Version 14.0.1 and it has made no difference.
The problem is still there.

Is this a bug or is there a some way I can fix the problem.

I'm using a Windows PC - Running Win 10 and it has 24gb of RAM

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Based upon customer reports, most issues have been reported fixed by either the remediation steps and/or the installation of Photoshop 23.1, released Monday, December 13, 2021. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Greetings all,

Update: Please install Photoshop 23.1, released on 12/13/2021 and let us know if we are still seeing the issue after updating Photoshop. 

Workaround:

To all those who may be experiencing this issue. Our investigations have found that, in some cases, GPU detection is causing this issue. 

A similar issue was resolved in this thread by following these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-text-changes-do-not-update-windows/m-p/12519892#M598048

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 297 Replies 297
297 Comments
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround has been: open PS 1st (since the last PS update). Then open LR Classic, and things will work, kind of. So, it is clear, the discovery this evening with 3 engineers: how Adobe manage the services and dependencies of their software
It seems a limitation of the Adobe software. As it does not load all the components required for all their signature software’s at once.
As you have mentioned that when you try to open Adobe PS when Adobe Lightroom is already open, it gives an error. That’s because lightroom is locking the services required for PS and are not being shared.
Yet, when PS is opened first it load the services but does not lock them so they can be use with other Adobe software, like Lightroom
This is not related to the Computer itself.
Regarding OepnCL, this is one of the major services in which AMD relies for rendering and other important graphic tools.
So, if it disables, it won’t allow other software to work properly.
It is required to load it first. This kind of behavior is related of how Adobe manage the services and dependencies of their software.
It is not a problem with AMD driver, windows or Dell, and in order to resolve this issue we request you to please contact Adobe support services.
We are quite sure, once you share the details with Adobe about this issue, they will be able to resolve it to your satisfaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have used Lightroom and Phototshop for quite a while (well over a year), with absolutely no issues launching Photoshop from Lightroom, until this weekend. Now, (after a Photoshop update installed just 4 days ago), I cannot launch Photoshop from Lightroom, or launch Photoshop itself.  I get this error message in Lightroom after about 3-4 minutes: "The file could not be edited because Photoshop 2021 could not be launched"

Actually, after about 4-6 minutes later, Photoshop WILL finally launch, and the TIFF created by Lightroom, will launch in Photoshop about 5-8 minutes after that.  I am using Windows 10.  I am assuming that last PhotoShop update is the culprit. No new Windows updates have been installed recently that could be the issue.

Anyone else feeling this pain? 

Anyone else having this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you restart your computer, try launch Photoshop just by itself. Does it launch?

If hung, go to Task Manager and right click on Photoshop 2021 and select "Create dump file"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Jeffrey.

I turned on my computer this morning, and tried to launch Photoshop first thing. It finally launched after about 4-5 minutes. FWIW, I checked the Event Viewer in Windows during this time, and there were no application errors. But, it does show a "Distributed COM" error, whatever that is, in the Sysytem logs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a permissions issue.

If you create a new admin user account and try to launch Photoshop when booting into the new user account, does it launch normally?

Instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html#permissions 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seemed to be the issue, all it took was to sign back in to Adobe to make it work. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-

I upgraded to both Lightroom Classic v11 and PS 2022 today (or I should say my subscription did). 

2 issues so far: Under external editing in LR preferences, Adobe Photoshop 2021 (not 2022) remains listed, unchanged. I'm not seeing a way to update it to 2022. As a result, when I choose a photo to open in PS, it creates a new PS file in LR but does not open it in PS. It goes nowhere but adds a duplicate. (Photoshop 2021 is no longer in my application folder because of the auto update).

Secondly, the "Open as Smart Object in PS" and similar items are greyed out in the "Edit in" dropdown menu. 

Screenshots are attached for both issues.

Should I uninstall and go back to the older versions?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 6.54.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 6.54.48 PM.png

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Lightroom Classic. Would you mind telling us the macOS version you're working on? You can try to reset the preferences of Lightroom using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2JSym5e

Please backup your presets prior to resetting the preferences.

If the issue persists, please try re-installing both Photoshop & Lightroom Classic to check if that helps.

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the new version of Lr 11 & Ps 2022 (Windows version) it is not possible to open a file edited inside Lr as a Smart Object in Ps. When I choose this command, Photoshop starts indeed, but the file simply does not open. After a few seconds I get the following message in Lr:

"The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not start."

I've already reinstalled Photoshop, but nothing has changed.

Any idea what to do?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. What I found was that while Photoshop had been updated, I had not yet opened PS 2022 so apparently LR did not recognize it existed. After I manually opened PS2022, CC verified it and then I closed both PS and LR. After reopening LR and select "edit in", PS2022 appeared as an available choice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats correct! I had the same problem, googlet it and found this thread. So I closed both Lr and Ps, and after reopening it, I could open images from Lr in Ps 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'll do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem since the update.  I am logged in as an administrative user, and the installation of both Photoshop and Lightroom had no issues.

Photoshop launches fine by itself and works properly.  Lightroom Classic also works fine by itself. However, when I am in Lightroom and ask to edit an image in Photoshop, I get the message above.  It does not ask the usual questions about whether to edit a copy keeping Lightroom edits.

Eventually the file does appear in Photoshop but takes a very long time.

I've tried logging out of Adobe and back in.  Made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have completed the recent upgrades to both PS and LR, but am having a problem opening a file in PS from LR.

When I double click on the image file in the grid view of LR, PS opens but that’s it.   I wait for approx. one minute 40 seconds to get this message:  “The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched”.

When I click on this message to get rid of it, the image file then opens in PS, and I immediately get a PSD file in LR.

How do I get rid of/bypass that message such that am image file will open directly from LR to PS?

No such issue existed wwith  previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from download&install>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried too many times to edit photos at photoshop (from edit in Photoshop option) but it doesnt work..

open photoshop without project, i closed it and retry (edit in Photoshop option) but same thing open photoshop empty without project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, in Preferences, in External Editor, what vetsion of Photoshop is listed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

< not specified >
i tried to add it again not work..

sometimes lightroom show alert Photoshop 2022 cannot laucnched (it already work, i close it and try and doesnt work).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here - see my post earlier:   

I have completed the recent upgrades to both PS and LR, but am having a problem opening a file in PS from LR.

When I double click on the image file in the grid view of LR, PS opens but that’s it.   I wait for approx. one minute 40 seconds to get this message:  “The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched”.

When I click on this message to get rid of it, the image file then opens in PS, and I immediately get a PSD file in LR.

How do I get rid of/bypass that message such that am image file will open directly from LR to PS?

No such issue existed wwith  previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try booting Photoshop first, this maybe necessary if you have not done so since you upgraded to the new version.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. No solution found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this method did not work.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contact adobe support, they uninstall Lightroom & Photoshop.. and it doesnt work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing what you both said, I did the same - opened both, closed both, reopened Lightroom.  Now I can SEE Edit in Photoshop 2022, but when I try to actually do it, nothing happens.  It's like it's not even registering.  Frustrating when I need to get a client's photos done asap.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate