• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Make the brush cursor easier to see (too thin, not enough contrast with some colors)

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In last updates I'm having problem seeing brush (paint and healing) cursor when working with colors similar to cursor grey (grey or brown midtones for expamle).

Sometimes cursor changes to white, but for very short time and very randomly.

So it's really hard to see where I'm just gonna paint or heal. It is really annoying and tiring.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

If you want to try the new Brush Cursor options in the  Photoshop (Beta) 

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.57.20 AM.png

How to use:

1. Create a text file
  2. Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt
  3. In the Text file add this…

BrushTipOutlineStrokeWidth 3

(0-3) This Increases the brush cursor outline.
    0 is the default in the shipping version of Photoshop.
    This Beta is using 1 as a default.
    999602978d9r.png (Thank you Scott Valentine for making this graphic!

4. Save the file/Place the file in the Photoshop settings folder:

For Windows: \Users\[Use

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

We are aware of cases that a brush icon can be difficult to see.

Making it stand out more strongly would be very useful and we are evaluating solutions for all the platforms we support.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 427 Replies 427
427 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to find this path to the preferences folder. Have attached a screenshot of my file structureScreenshot 2022-11-09 at 7.06.31 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lfullerunc 

For macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop (Prerelease) Settings/

1. In Finder (the desktop screen), click on the Go menu, then select Go to Folder....
    The 'Go to Folder' window appears.
  2. Type ~/Library and then press the Go button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lfullerunc 

Adding to Daniel's correct answer, the reason you don't see the Library under your user name is because it is a hidden file by default. This is a macOS issue.

https://www.macworld.com/article/671158/how-to-show-hidden-files-on-a-mac.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the photoshop Beta path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks; that's much better. Makes me wonder what else Finder is hiding from me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on positive feedback and adoption, we're considering adding a pref for this so that you don't have to use the... ...let's say, less than satisfactory method of PSUserConfig.txt.   😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 24.1PS 24.1
Photoshop 24.1 has a new feature!

The option to adjust the thickness of the brush cursor, which was tested in Photoshop beta, is now available directly within Photoshop! (It will be reflected immediately without rebooting Photoshop)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jqqerry @michal_j and all - Been a long time coming but very happy we were able to deliver this before the holidays - a nice present to end the year!  Cheers to 2023!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great. Many thanks to the development team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chad RolfsThis will continue to be my favorite update. It's the most touching and much needed update in the last 5-6 years. Great job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chad - thanks to everyone who worked on this critical update. I've got a crazy deadline, and this is helping me to speed up my process and make far fewer 'stabs in the dark' mistakes. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost cried when I saw this. I've been using it a lot over the last couple of days, and it's great so far. Thanks for the heads up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many , this will be the best thing since sliced (ginger) bread, @Chad Rolfs and @Daniel Presedo !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope. not helpful twice. I'm painting, but can't see the brush against mid to light colours. Adding layers of colour or decreasing the opacity? - I said, I'm painting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This update was such a delightful gift, but ironically, there is a bug in which the brush cursor changes to a mouse arrow after this update.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-brush-outline-circle-disappearing-when-wor...

I think it has something to do with the addition of this feature... So I went back to 24.0. I was happy to receive the gift, but I am sad that I cannot use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shaun5C3A did you try the Extra Bold setting for Brush Tip Outline ?

Look in Edit(Pc)/Photoshop(Mac)>Preferences>Tools?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having an issue where the cursor keeps changing color which is odd as it feels like its trying to make itself less visible depending on the background. So if its on a lighter background it will turn gray (making it almost impossible to see) and if its on a darker background it will actually turn white.  Anyone know how to fix this issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just fix the faint cursor instead of all these work-arounds being suggested. Give the user a choice of colours and outline heaviness. It should be easy even for Adobe programmers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Panorama Function. Ultimately the fix must come from Adobe's magical programmers who could easily fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what happens to all of us who have the Photoshop CS6 version we paid a few years ago? I cannot afford to pay the monthly sum Adobe is asking me for the Photoshop Beta version! Does that mean that I will have to live with the brush cursor problem for ever? That can't be right.

C.E. Sena 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what happens to all of us who have the Photoshop CS6 version we paid a few years ago? I cannot afford to pay the monthly sum Adobe is asking me for the Photoshop Beta version! Does that mean that I will have to live with the brush cursor problem for ever? That can't be right.

C.E. Sena 

If you decide not to upgrade Photoshop after CS6 you have to work with that version and should not expect Adobe to waste resources on updating obsolete program versions. 

And it is up to you to maintain your computer in such a state that Photoshop CS6 can continue running on it – meaning you should take care to be able to roll back any future OS, hardware, driver … updates/upgrades in case they break the setup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wake.forest.ltd@gmail.com 

The brush issue in this thread began with Photoshop 2017 and was not in CS6. You may have a different issue. Please describe your problem and share screenshots.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jane,

Very kind of you to reply so promptly.

As I mentioned, I've had Photoshop since I was in university in the UK and updated the program every time there was one. Still, I've had this problem since new and was hoping an update would sort out this annoying issue, but seems not...

Our friend above seems to think I prefer to remain with the CS6 version 13.0 and live with the problem, but doesn't realise that not all of us can afford to pay the extra for updating PS to the latest version.

Anyway, I include a short video and an image showing my CS6 version. In my case at least, the cursor disappearing is a fact and it is almost impossible to work with it, specially when I'm working with composites.

Best regards to all,

C. E. SenaPICANOPIS TREE.jpgDisapp cursor 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wake.forest.ltd@gmail.com , well after CS6 shipped, display hardware improved and higher pixel densities became a lot more common. If you go back to the hardware and software from the CS6 timeframe, you would not run into this issue because lower pixel density hardware would keep the line thicker on screen.

If you upgrade your hardware, quite often only the latest software includes accommodations for the impact of those upgrades. This is the case for brushing. I suppose you could lower the pixel density of the screen to mimic the older constraints, and the brush tip would likely pop a little better.

Votes

Translate

Translate