• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding PDF previews, see this help article:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/enable-pdf-thumbnail-preview-windows-explorer.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis_0-1633828822188.png

Already followed the Acrobat Reader instructions, as described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how about adobe gets off its ass and fixes this in the program rather than relying on third party fixes? This has been a problem for at least five years. It's a shame that my monthly subscription fee isn't being used to give us the features we expect but instead to line the shareholder's pockets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and the vast majority of Ps users are on Win10, but all the Adobe designers only use OSX, so the urgency doesn't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question is a moldy oldie going back to 2009 which I originally posted in the Microsoft forums.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/why-cant-psd-thumbnails-be-disp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dare say that's not entirelly accurate, since obviously there must be a team at Adobe that actually create and maintain the Windows versions of their software.

In any case, I suspect why Adobe don't create their own thumbnail Explorer plugin is at least two fold. First, they know there are other solutions out there and may not want to create an extra vector of support inquiry for themselves. Second, the PSD and other file formats (there are heaps of them if you think about it - brushes, palettes etc.) Photoshop create are complex beasts, PSD in particular supports a very diverse set of file modes other than generic 8 bit RGBA, with channels, layers, Lab mode, layer effects,16/32 bit and so on and probably the most important one of all - saved with or without a (maximize compatibility) flattened image.

MysticThumbs does its best to decode pretty much all the image modes as long as the maximize compatibility option is used to save files - or files are saved with an embedded thumbnail - another option on save. If neither of those are set when a file is saved, it's ignored. It's a lot to work with and support. If you use some of the other PSD Explorer thumbnail plugins out there and save files in Lab format for example and/or with extra channels etc. you will start seeing issues fast. These reasons are why Adobe just doesn't bother as it won't do anything other than affect their bottom line negatively when users start complaining about the thumbnail support. To support PSD files not saved with a thumbnail or maximize compatibility, you literally need Photoshop to open and render the file to create an accurate representation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree. If any of their designers worked in Win10, they'd be horrified at what they find. The Layers panel alone has at least a dozen mistakes and has for years now. Not to mention the misery of stuck buttons, check boxes, menus and the inability to scrubby zoom while using the UI. Coming from 25 years of Mac use, the Win10 experience is an absolute nightmare. It's obvious to me that very few of the Ps team use both OS with any regularity. 
And if SageThumbs can manage to maintain thumbnail support for free, i'm pretty sure that a $400B company can manage the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sabem porquê, apesar de ter disponível as novas versões do Photoshop, eu continuo usando uma versão antiga?

Porque, na versão antiga, o SageThumbs funciona. Eu consigo ver os thumbnails tanto no PS quanto no Explorer.

Já na versão nova, o SageThumbs não funciona.

Então sou obrigado a usar a versão antiga. Pois este problema estúpido, vindo de uma empresa bilionária, continua existindo, apesar de milhares de usuários ainda usarem Windows 10 em todo o mundo.

Além disso, eu temo desinstalar as versões antigas, reinstalar o SageThumbs, e ver se isso resolve na versão nova — pois não tenho garantia que irá funcionar.

Isso se chama descaso. Descaso vindo de um monopólio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, you can install a third party codec for creating Photoshop thumbnails. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually read my question? I don't think so.

Try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read your question. Maybe Sagethumbs isn't the right program. Seems other people are having issues with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3wl7o9/do_not_install_sagethumb_on_windows_10_it/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the year 2022. In order to get thumbnails I still need to refer to the clunky app that is Bridge. Why? How comes this basic functionality isn't yet implemented? – No, I do not want to rely on third party products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The psd preview by 'File > open' was part of Creative Suite 4, then it was removed and never restored, why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Adobe add this feature. The fact that I cannot see image thumbnails of my CC files is really annoying and killing my workflow. I dont use bridge and never will for many reasons. We need this support natively in Windows Explorer!!!

PS: Let me guess, on Apple OS files thumbnails are probably shown, no? So why discriminate users who are using Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Please Adobe add this feature."

=============

@Red Point,

Ask Microsoft.  Adobe has nothing to do with how Windows works.  😉

I have free SageThumbs shell extension for Windows File Explorer.  SageThumbs supports thumbnail previews of AI, PSD, EPS, PDF and more file types. 

https://www.cherubicsoft.com/projects/sagethumbs/

In addition, I use Adobe Bridge to preview and manage digital assets.  It's indispensable for adding keywords, descriptions and organizing files by project.

https://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Ask Microsoft.  Adobe has nothing to do with how Windows works."

Microsoft and Apple both expect application developers to provide plugins that generate thumbnails and previews for their applications' file types, since there's no way that they could implement them for every conceivable application. Windows and Mac OS provide straightforward, documented toolkits for that purpose. 

Most app developers provide such plugins for their apps, and indeed, Adobe provides one for PDFs on Windows (though it doesn't work for many of us).  But for other file types, such as PSDs and PSBs, Adobe has always expected Microsoft and Apple to do that work for them.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe has always expected Microsoft and Apple to do that work for them."

No. Think about it. Adobe wants you to use Bridge. Period. That's their reason.

MysticThumbs has matured a lot over the years, it's a paid app so there's quality there and support. Free to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Microsoft and Apple both expect application developers to provide plugins that generate thumbnails and previews for their applications' file types."

===========

@johnrellis,

In my experience, Windows updates frequently disable 3rd party shell extensions.  It's happened to me several times.  Re-enabling shells manually at the OS level doesn't always work.  In such cases, reinstalling shell extensions is necessary, followed by a computer restart.

Q:  How can extension developers prevent what the primary OS does to people's devices? 

A: They can't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nan 

This is simply not true; for the most part.

MS hardly touch the Win32 Shell core anymore. Most of their efforts are in other bloat areas of Windows. If a shell extension breaks there is likely some deprecated APIs or something in there that haven't been updated. That's the nature of software - it evolves, and if an extension or software doesn't evolve to match the API changes of the OS things can and will break.

Some changes from XP to Vista to Win7 very minor on the API front frankly. How do I know? I'm the developer of MysticThumbs. A few things break here and there with major Win OS versions, but only a few.

Using Russian freeware type software is likely to land you in a world of hurt because it's free and unsupported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mysticcoder,

I've used SageThumbs for many years without any problems othere than those caused by OS updates.  I only know what Win10 updates do.  My workstation has never been touched by earlier OSs.  I use extensions and extension managers from various regions, some paid for;  some not.  No problems there.  But Win10 updates have been known to wreak havoc to graphics, mouse, keyboard, Internet, audio, File Explorer and other software.  I say this not to bash Windows but as a head's up to anyone who is experiencing problems following an OS update.  Sh*t happens. It's part of computer ownership. 

At the first sign of problems, people are quick to blame Adobe for it.  To which I can only say, maybe Adobe isn't the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People are quick to blame anyone but themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I dare say that's not entirely accurate, since obviously there must be a team at Adobe that actually create and maintain the Windows versions of their software.

@mysticcoder 

Yes, of course, but speaking as a Mac Photoshop professional since the early 90s and having switched to a Windows machine 3 years ago, the Win Ps UX is absolutely terrible compared to Mac. From all the sticky alt/menu/button issues, to the thumbnails, etc., it's as if no one on the Adobe team has ever used both to any extent. Within a week or two of using Ps Win, i had already filed dozens of UX/UI bugs that had been around for years? decades? who knows. It was so awful that i could barely do my retouching work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Earth Oliver You're preaching to the choir here. Windows UX is a disgrace. Why do you think I created MysticThumbs? 😉 It not only solves the thumbnail problem but also has the equivalent of Mac 'Quick Look' in 'Quick View' amongst other things.

I actually use Mac primarily and code Windows through Parallels VM - Windows is such a vile OS. The main issue I have with Windows is the lack of a centralised search through menu function like Mac has (Shift Option /) so you can find stuff in the menus. Other than the nicer look of Mac, that is the core OS feature that rips Windows a new one if you get my drift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nancy- I disagree with your assesment. If a 3rd party "Joe Schmo" developer can build a Windows Explorer extension that can create file previews, then Adobe can do it too (and probably much better too). I just dont see why after paying 800 USD plus per year for Adobe Apps, I still can't see previews of my files natively in Windows!

Why should I spend another 35 USD on a third party plugin??? Sage broke my Windows stability. Many have reported the same experience. Other apps cost money and probably will not work reliably (or will have some rights issues). Adobe knows this problem and hasn't done anything about it since years. We are simply being ignored. Microsoft tells us to contact Adobe, you tell us to contact Microsoft. 

Did Adobe ever contact Microsoft in this regard? Probably never. Otherwise this issue would have been resolved a long time ago!

Adobe and its developers and product managers are sticking their head into the sand and hoping that this problem will go away. Well it isn't. Here we are in 2022 and we are still struggling with this workflow nightmare (since years now). I cannot use Bridge, as it is slow and has stability issues. It often freezes when I drag to copy files. Also, the app fonts are too small (even at the largest settings).

Posting a feature request with Adobe is like throwing a grain of sand into the pacific. This situation is really terrible. If you really want to help us, please tell us what to do, to finally get Adobe to solve this issue.  

I did post in the Microsoft forums on this topic (at least three times). All you get there is a cut and paste answer with a suggestion to do a "scan c" procedure. The moderators don't even read (or understand) the question. I can't tell you how frustrating this has been. Dealing with these large software corporations is simply impossible. It's like in the movie "Brazil" or a dystopian Kafka novel. And just like in these movies, you have to keep handing in request, and then nothing happens. I have posted on Microsoft forums, contacted their support, posted at Adobe forums, posted feature requests on Adobe and pretty much exhausted all I could have done. 

And guess what? After some time, this thread will be locked (as has happened so many times before) and many years later we will still be at square one. With small software teams and firms, you get quick answers and results. With Adobe and Microsoft, any request is like a grain of sand in the vast pacific ocean. This issue will drop to the bottom of Adobe's digital abyss, and that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mysticcoder - Please do not abuse this thread to sell your third party app here in the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate