• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crash on using Select Subject or Object Selection Tool on Windows

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got the new update for Photoshop v23.0. I cannot use the object seletion tool anymore without Photoshop crashing after a few steps.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Ok final data point.. disabling of SMT was having a performance impact on other activities I need to accomplish with higher multithreading requirement. Re-enabled SMT and spent about 10 minutes opening up about various images and used the object selection tool and others. 

All things are stable now. 

Looks like the crashing was a result of the MSI gameboost function within bios being turned on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Hi all,

Please update the Nvidia Graphics drivers to the latest version, which came out last week, and let us know if that helps to resolve the crash issue. For steps, see this: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#app-crash-with-tools

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

@carlo.molinari Thanks. It's crashing in DirectML.dll. Engineering is looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 236 Replies 236
236 Comments
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the newest Photoshop update, the Object Selection tool has been crashing Photoshop.  It's happened 2 or 3 times while I'm completing the selection. 

Release 23.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any submitted crash reports from you in our system. If you haven't done so already, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html That will help us diagnose the crash.

After you submit a crash, try the following: go to Preferences > Performance and click on the "Advanced Settings" button. Uncheck Use OpenCL, restart Photoshop and try your steps to see if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Never saw the Crash Reporter dialog (didn't know about it).  Followed the instructions to show it.

Should I follow your suggestion now or wait for the next crash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue. However, I cannot submit a crash report because it actually crashes my entire PC, not just the application. I have followed other instructions on changing my Performance settings, but none of this solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gravesville A system crash usually means a low level failure such as a driver (bad video card driver, etc), failing hardware (hard disk, video card, etc.) or damaged OS installation.

Make sure the GPU drivers for your system are up to date. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My drivers are up-to-date. I've also done a sysetem file check scan and everything is fine there. While I wouldn't rule out a hardware failure, Photoshop is the cause of the system crash. I've been able to duplicate this four times now. Whenever the Object Selection Tool is used, the system crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got another crash (PShop shut down) while waiting for the Object Selection tool to make the selection (after I clicked on it). 

I still didn't get the Crash Report -- even though I followed the instruction to get it to pop up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a second time, with a different photo.  Seems I can't use the Object Selection tool anymore.  (It worked in the previous versions.)

(And, again, the Crash Reporter dialog didn't appear.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same system crash issue when trying to use the Object Selection Tool using 23.2.2 or any 23.2.x versions. Computer immediately reboots itself.  I downgraded to PhotoShop 22.5.1 and the problem no longer exists.

I've reviewed many posts from others having the same problem. Seems to be diverse set of equipment specs with no real consistent component among everyone except a Intel CPU.

I was using the onboard Intel UHD graphics. Then, thinking that was problem upgraded to a MSI-nVidia 4gb card but still had the same issue.

TEMPORARY FIX: Disabling Intel Turbo Boost Technology in BIOS fixed the problem in PhotoShop v23.2.x

My hardware;

Motherboard - ASRock B365M Pro4 (BIOS v4.50 8_17_2021)

16GB Ram

Intel i7-9700k @ 3.6GHz (not overclocked)

MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB (driver v30.0.15.1179)

Windows 10 Home 19044.1586

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your kind help.... 

Per your instruction, I unchecked the openCL thingy and Photoshop is not crashing anymore when I used the quick selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is so incredibly annoying that it almost makes me want to switch editing software all-together, EVERY time I click "select and mask" the first time during an editing session it instantly crashes Photoshop usually meaning I lose out on a lot of unsaved work. The weird thing is that if I reopen PS right after it'll work next time.

I've got a fresh install of W11 and fresh install of Photoshop 2022 but I'm experiencing more issues and crashes than I ever have with Photoshop which almost makes me want to refund the entire program.

I've got a pretty decent PC as well (2080Ti, 32GB RAM i79700k) so that shouldn't be the problem.

I've tried most "fixes" around this forum like activating/deactiving GPU but nothing helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm I am having this same issue and I have a Ryzen R9 3950x CPU with an RTX 3080 GPU.
It seems to be an issue with the codecs within the program if I had to guess. Rolling back my save now to hopefully fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to drag out a selection using the square selection tool... photoshop keeps locking up randomly and only way to get out is to force quit it.
Windows 10. Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.2.2 20220304.r.325 49bf0ec x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carlo & Jeffrey.  I have just tried again with PS 23.3 and the same crash/reboot occurrs a secord or two after I click on the Object Selection Tool.  Whilst I don't get a crash report I have a log from C:\Users\<YOUR WIN ACCOUNT>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\Logs which I can attach.  Again, I have rolled back to PS v22.5.7 and all is stable.  All NVidia drivers are the latest (studio) and this behaviour has been there with all versions of 23 that have been released.

The Log file I can send.  Can you advise to whom or how I should upload it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I'm having problems with my version too: 23.3.1. When I tryed to use "mask all objects", sometimes a  program error message was showed, but sometimes the program selected the objects, but... in the background we saw the initial page of ps and the program didn't executing any command. No box of crashs was showed. Someone can help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a cop-out of a response that is from Adobe. You know that doesn't fix the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If engineering is looking into it, why is it not fixed yet. It is now May !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel the same way. I think I might try GIMP. I guess it can't be any worse. I'll try that and quit my adobe subscription. It's not worth the aggravation anymore. I used to like Photoshop but now I hate it with a passion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just admt that you can't figure it out. It's now May, 2022 and it hasn't been fixed at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope don't try it. If someone at Adobe tells you to try this or that. DON'T !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All, I am having this same exact issue. Running Windows 10 with a 2080ti GPU. Once I click on the Object Selection Tool the whole PC reboots after one or two seconds. Same description I see scottm28807177 posting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also may someone please tell me how to revert back to version 22.5.7 please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Danny.  Still the same with me.  To revert back to a previous version (you will want 22.5.7 given you are the same as me) Use your Adobe Cloud desktop app which will show you your installed Adobe applications.  Look for Photoshop and click on the three dots to the right then select "Other versions"  - you will then be able to choose the most recent version starting with 22.  Good luck & I also would appreciate some resolution to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. not fix yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same is happening for me. I'm on PS 23.3.2. Everything works fine until I use the Object Selection Tool for any reason, the entire PS process hangs (Task Manager shows 'Not Responding') and I have to end the task and start PS again.

Votes

Translate

Translate