• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: PDF import show edge artifacts on tiled PDF images (bug in PDF creation)

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing a PDF with images, Photoshop CS6 adds faint outlines to the PDF image segments in the file. Prior versions of Photoshop render the PDF correctly. See the attached image for an example.

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 262 Replies 262
262 Comments
New Here ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same problem here. It seems to be importing the atomic regions between flattened transparent elements that are visible in Acrobat when screen optimisation is turned on, but are strictly as I understand it an anomaly of viewing the PDFs on-screen. It used to be the case in CS5 that they weren't rendered when imported into Photoshop, but now they are.

However, you can get avoid the white lines if you turn off anti-aliasing in the Import PDF dialog. Although, then, of course, the imported image isn't anti-aliased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this appears to be a bug in the PDF/EPS rasterization engine.
Can you send me a copy of that PDF so we have a good example of the problem?

[ccox (at) adobe {dot} com]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris -- I've just emailed you that PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

This is now logged in our bug database. Thanks for the clear steps in the e-mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello we are getting lines alot on our PDF imports into Photoshop. Which aren't even seen until after its been printed. Its causing major issues at our shop. Is there a work around??
Most of our clients send in PDFS, now its not an option, we really need to find a solution.

any advice?\thanks
Billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The example here only happens at screen resolution. If you have examples that occur at print resolution - we need to get the files and deliver then to the PDF rasterizer team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes we have many files we could send. These are for over-sized prints (33"x80" and larger). The lines show up very faintly on screen , but are very noticeable in the print. Where could i send an example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an example I could send you as well Chris - is the email above: ccox (at) adobe {dot} com - OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that email is OK. If the file is too big for email, try yousendit or dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is very big problem. I hope the adobe fix this issue very soon!

Thomas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not having an easy time on this one -- it has to do with the way InDesign wrote the PDF files with tiled images. Even in previous versions of Photoshop, it would have artifacts at some resolutions.

Your best solution is probably to resave the files from InDesign without the tiled images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Already sent an email to Chris, hope it gets fixed soon. For me the problem exists with every image, not only the ones tilted

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not "tilted" but "tiled" - it has to do with how the PDF was written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i get an "error" when opening a PDF (from Indesign) in Photoshop CS6 which does not appear when opening the very same file in Photoshop CS5 on the same machine. In CS6 there is a very thin white line around some objects (at the invisilble edge of the shadow maybe?). When i open the same file in CS5 this does not appear! The opening dialogue was filled in exactly the same in CS5 and CS6.

See the "error" here: http://data.360pixel.de/PSCS6/PSCS5-v...

How can we avoid this error or is it a bug in CS6?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any changes or fixes yet?
We already downgraded our Photoshop because we need that import on a daily base ... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, changes -- InDesign won't tell us why they export the tiled files, but we've determined that it is not directly a problem with Photoshop itself (or the PDF rasterizer) but a problem with how the images were written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a lot of searches, I've found the answer. It's working for my pdf files.
You need to uncheck the square "smooth" (I don't know if in english its is this word, but just under the name of the pdf) in the dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, it's not just PDFs from Indesign, it's those from Illustrator as well - the one I sent before was from Illustrator, via Acrobat Distiller (ie. print to PDF). Not sure if that's any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@matt This has been noticed before, but this is only a incomplete workaround because if there are vectors in the document they will have very jagged edges. The only workaround is currently using an older Photoshop-Version, because it has nothing to do with Indesign, its just the Import Dialog in Photoshop thats bugged.

Another option is to save the PDF as JPG from within Adobe Reader, this is yet the best workaround because it will get rid of the lines and smooth the edges.

If you need more control upon import you can open it in illustrator and save it as an eps, then import it to photoshop - the white lines will be gone.

Please Adobe recognize this error and fix it! Its just a bug in the PDF-Import Dialog, it has NOTHING to do with the PDF File your trying to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have recognized the problem, and spent considerable time working on it.
And it has everything to do with the tiling of images in the PDF.

Older versions of Photoshop rasterized PDFs differently, which would hide the artifacts at some resolutions, but still show them at other resolutions. It just wasn't as common to see the artifacts because the older rasterization code did not have as high a quality as the rasterization in CS6.

Disabling anti-aliasing may hide the artifacts at some resolutions, but not others.

Short version: tiled images in PDFs can only be rasterized correctly at their original resolution, or higher resolutions. If you try to rasterize them at lower resolutions, you will get artifacts on the tile boundaries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris I'm unable to replicate this behaviour in older versions.

The artifacts also appear at every resolution, below, equal or above the original resolution. The resolution doesnt matter, the artifact is always 1 Pixel around the borders, see attached screenshot:

This is the same file as above, only color fill as layer style applied to its easier to see, what I noticed when I did this is that its not a white line - its transparent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have more documentation about the problem -- I can replicate it in older versions.

Again, we've spent quite a bit of time figuring this out (at least from the Photoshop side).

And it is a problem with the tiled images -- they cannot be rasterized correctly except at their original resolution or higher resolution (and even then some rasterizers might show artifacts).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Chris I understand the problem but this is a big issue for us.
Do you think you'll fix it shortly or not? I'm a printer and we upgrade to the CS6 but this is very annoying for us, we can see it after printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know when it will be addressed. But we understand that it is a problem, and are trying to get the responsible teams to make a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is very frustrating. how far away is the fix for this?
luckily I hadn't deleted CS5 just yet!
hmmm, not real happy Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate