• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.0: Where is Line Weight/Width and Pixels options?

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble using the Line Tool in PS 22.0.0. 

How do I set the width/weight of the line? In PS 21 there was a "Weight" option along the top bar, but I don't see that anymore. Am I missing it? Or did it move? 

This might be a separate issue, but the lines I'm drawing are not showing up. I have a fill color and stroke color selected, but when I make a line, I don't see it. I just see a blue outline of where it is... the same that might happen if I made a "path" instead of a "shape." 

I just need to make a line with a width/weight of 20px.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

The 22.3 update posted on March 10 contains the pixel mode for the line tool; I will personally go to the mat defending this tool and it's functionality if anybody at Adobe attempts to change this feature again. I'm a believer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Greetings,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 676 Replies 676
676 Comments
Participant ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They can't "delete it completely", they undoubtedly use some kind of source control like Subversion or Git. So yes, they definitely have the pre-stupid-change code.

It may be hard to integrate with their new changes, especially if their code is as poorly organized as I imagine. A well-written program would be modular enough that changes in one spot have little impact on things overall. But that probably isn't Adobe. I mean, they released this change with the stroke set up so that it didn't work at all for existing users until they learned the whole inner/outer thing. Not the brightest knives in the shed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same again. The only thing we can do is to keep adding voices. The tool is needed as it was for years, the request is the same - please, bring it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paul_kidda_corless , I think you're missing the all-important fact that this draws an old-fashioned raster line, when vectors are clearly so much better. For example:

1. This method almost always draws a visible line, so losing that sense of adventure and suspense brought on by the new, sexy vector
  2. It's far too quick and easy, reducing that sense of achievement when you finally manage to get a usable line
  3. Adobe has moved on from this old technology to a streamlined solution that gives you lots of new layers to lose yourself in
  4. There is an implied criticism of the magnificent, munificent and beneficent organisation that allows us the privilege of working round their superbly conceived and crafted updates.
  5. This clearly pushes the buttons of the trolls on this forum, who'd rather pick a fight with their fellow pixel-punishers than add a supporting voice.

Please recant your blasphemy ;-D

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, guys, I GOT A GREAT IDEA!!!.....   Let's have both. Rasters and Vectors can both be available. Unity!

Democrats: "Always use a Mask and use Rasters, I'm cool with that. Let the information from other layers be transparent and show through!"

Republicans: "Vectory or Death!  No Raster Requirements!, No Masks! Edges of masks are nasty when they are visible."

JUST BRING BACK THE FUNCTIONS OF THE OLD LINE TOOL! How hard is that??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MALTA!

Make A Line Tool Again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean Make Pixels Great Again

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a real PITA!

I dont wan't to have to do more actions to get a simple line drawn in pixels.

Bring back the pixels!

Everybody starts chanting

Bring back the pixels!  Bring back the pixels!  Bring back the pixels! Bring back the pixels!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe by now that we will be forced not to renew a few dozen subscriptions from my university ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting... (still paying ?!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it with every update, Photoshop takes away essential tools I use everyday???? Is this what we call "improvement"? To not be able to draw a pixel line is ridiculous. Also, I used to be able to use all my customized brushes as erasers as well. Nope.. can't have a customized eraser! I wish I had my old Photoshop CC back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sonserae  Regarding the eraser thing, when it's changed to Brush, set the painting mode to Clear in the option bar...  OR duplicate the brush and when you are at the little pop up to rename the custom brush, select the option to use it as an eraser as well (I can't remember how its worded, but its easy to spot),  then just use that new brush/eraser to replace the old custom brush that the 2019 Adobe update messed with 🙂  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The updates lately taking away essential features is very frustrating. Is this an improvement???? Also, I used to be able to use my eraser for all my customized brushes. That was eliminated too. I wish I had Photoshop CC back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tom Winkelmann That doesn't work by the way. I got an error that said,

Sytax error

Line: 1

->  {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf2513

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sonserae

Why is it with every update, Photoshop takes away essential tools I use everyday? 

My theory is that this is the norm in the ugliness of corporate culture.

I've been making a list of bizarre reduction of features in various corporate products.

1. Gmail eliminated the ability to right click on an attached image to copy it. 
  2. YouTube removed the ability of channels to annotate videos
  3. Likewise, they hid the count of downvotes on comments
  4. Speaking of which, Amazon eliminated the ability to downvote reviews...so now the top reviews are often idiotic ones, for example complaining that the post office damaged the package. Other idiots upvote such useless reviews, and the rest of us can do nothing about it.
  5. Bank of America has taken features away from their online banking, like the ability to transfer money via their quick menu.
  6. Windows randomly resets explorer settings to the defaults, which are clearly better for us than our carefully set up custom settings.
  7. SoundHound and Shazam used to check for a song when launched, both disabled that ability even for existing installs. Only Shazam even allows one to manually turn it back on, hidden deep in the settings.
  8. eBay now only keeps three years of your purchase history. That you may want to find the name of something you bought five years ago, to buy another, is irrelevant.
  9. Chrome disables extensions without asking, because Google decided to. 
  10. Adobe decided to explicitly disable pixel line drawing, and a ton of other things in the years before that. Someone should make a list.

Really, corporate law has spread the sociopathic, irresponsible culture of the political class to the very businesses that corporatism gives special power over our lives and an oligopoly over the most important industries.

It's pretty horrifying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah...doesn't make sense. I know with the paid apps, their updates they charge for...but I say don't fix what ain't broke. When drawing out buildings and perspective in Photoshop, the line drawing tool is essential. It literally has caused a lot of problems concerning drawing things quickly. It's a major break!! They need to fix it asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kaz Vorpal 

This is a forum about Adobe products. Please post your rambling political and SJW stuff elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I block DGrainger?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is specifically for @mark dahm

I think it's only fair Mark, to give us an official response now - what is happening? You assured us, the function would be returned. Most of us suspect this is simply not true and that we are being deceived. What is the truth? I understand, it's pointless shooting you but you have to understand this is a very big issue for paying customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FMG it's back!

Life is more simple again.

I hope lessons have been learned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update hasn't happened for me yet, but I anticipate a day of great joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG it is back yeah !! I can finally work on the new version

Adobe don't do that again please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOOOOOOOOOOO close! But I still can't size my arrowheads as a proportion of the line weight. I need the percentage/proportional sizing. The pixel sizing should have been reinstated when the original line tool was reinstated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AkashSharma WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!  Speaking on behalf of what I believe is most of the Adobe fan mob..... THANK YOU! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate