• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.5 - Add to Selection not working in Action

LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an action which starts by using the magic wand to create a selection. I've used it for a few years over multiple versions of Photoshop on Windows.

Its now just not working at all, either running the action or double-clicking that step. If I delete the step and manually record the Magic Wand clicking the canvas, the step is added to the action and the selection works as expected.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.5.1 which includes the fix for this issue. Check the list of other fixed issues here

To update Photoshop to 22.5.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Please feel free to share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
58 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an action with a magic wand selection, followed by an inverse.  When I updated to the newest version of photoshop, those steps in the action would not work, resulting in an error of "no pixels selected".  If i manually used the magic wand, then proceeded with the rest of the action, it was fine.  With the action, the history showed "auto mask" instead of "Magic Wand".  Rolling back to a previous version resolved the issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it doesn't work via scripting as well I reported the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem as well, but re-recording the steps does not fix the issue.  I've rolled back to the previous version in the meanwhile.  my post: Magic Wand step in Action will not work, "no pixels selected" error

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug I encountered in Photoshop 22.5.0 20210809.r.384 ce617de  x64
While developing an action, I recorded an action step that defined the selection of an area, using the Magic Wand tool.
The selection details (location and tolerance) were recorded in the step. However, when I played back the action, the particular step produced no results (no selection was made). I tested the same action in older Photoshop versions and it worked as expected.

Thank you
Panos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Engineering is working on this. Will update this thread when the fix is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stroked the path with the quick selection tool 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm, it doesn't work via scripting as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here to investigate the same problem happening to me. Glad Adobe is working on it. Hopefully the fix will come soon. Adding my +1 to the number of people this is impacting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why didn't you vote if you're experiencing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also not working here. I am having to use an older version of Photoshop until this is fixed because the magic wand selection action is absolutely vital to my workflow. I had no idea I was so dependant on a specific skill. Using the select color doesn't work for me in this case (dang)

I spent over an hour before I figured out exactly what was going wrong. Rerecorded that section of the action multiple times, made a few new actions, etc.

There have been two Photoshop updates since this problem happened, I got excited each time but it wasn't fixed. (sad)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some very old complex actions, about 300 steps that is ran sequentially. I never rewrote it to script and now I'm experiencing problem as in some parts it's based on Magic Wand. I have to use CS6 to bypass this bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I (and many members of the Kaleidoscope FaceBook group use an action to create kaleidoscopes using Photoshop. When one upgrades to PS 22.5 the action stops with an error regarding the expand command. I downgraded to 22.4.3 of PS so that works fine. Please fix that error in future versions of PS. See image of error.

Shelly Rosenbergerror.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step through your action and see why it is stopping. The usual reason for Expand not being available is that there is no selection made to expand. So take a look closely at the preceding action (twirl it open) is it resulting a selection?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As 'Set Selection' item before 'Expand' item in your action uses 'Magic Wand Tool', vote to fix this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I vote to fix a bug?

Shelly Rosenberg

Editing Proofreading & Resume Services
[Personal information removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did not find it yet, click 'Upvote' on the right side of the thread title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have several actions that depend on the magic wand working in actions. adobe, when will we have a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to use an older version of Photoshop. You can install old versions from the cloud app. I had to do it so I could continue to work. Every single image I use has to go through an action with the magic wand so I couldn't do a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.5.1 which includes the fix for this issue. Check the list of other fixed issues here

To update Photoshop to 22.5.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Please feel free to share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Javascript to script selections with the Magic Wand. The "contiguous" setting (true/false) has stopped working in the latest version of Photoshop 22.5.0. 'false' selections work, but 'true' selections now fail. Which ever way the tick button for 'Contiguous' is set for the Magic Wand tool in the interface makes no difference when running the script; 'false' always works, but 'true' doesn't. Photoshop 22.4.2 works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for fixing this but I do not see 22.5.1 listed

Shelly Rosenberg

[Personal info removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate