Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System details:

Surface Studio 2 i7

32 g of ram

GTX 1070

Windows 11 22H2

Since updating to version 23.5, I've noticed a couple things. There seems to habe been some kind of change to how brush input is being rendered. On the plus side, it appears to have slightly reduced latency, but there is also some kind of bug causing a flickering to happen as the tiles are drawn in. Its really strange, the flickering while drawing is accompanied by it sometimes taking a step "back" in its history, only for that step to reappear as I continue to draw. I tried disabling multithread compositing to see if that was causing the issue, but it didn't make a change. Also, the same flickering behavior is there whether drawing with the pen or the mouse, so it seems to be about rendering rather than the input method.

Just to be sure, I reinstalled 23.42 and the issue was gone. Then, I reinstalled 23.5 and it was back. 

Hoping this is solved in a patch soon, because I really like 23.5 and think with this bug solved, the experience / general input latency while drawing has potentially been improved. The bug seems specifically tied to rendering input, which is encouraging because any added fluidity is a good thing while painting in Photoshop. The problem may be driver releated to my Nvidia card, or the fact that I'm running the latest version of Windows 11, but it is definitely unique to 23.5 for me.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

And with the release of 24.1 today, the flicker is officially gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 24.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 24.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
26 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what this user is experiencing happens intermittently while the flickering is happening. These blocks in the upper left corner of the screen pop in and out. https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/help-adobe-photoshop-2022-is-not-working-pro...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently running the latest Studio Ready driver from Nvidia. 516.94

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Preferences > Technical Previews... Is Deactivate Native Canvas checked or unchecked?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecked, Windows native canvas is Directx, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked Deactivate Native Canvas and the flicker is gone, so I think you solved my problem... What does this option do? Is disabling native canvas a step forward or backward in rendering input? Don't I want native canvas for performance gains or am I confused?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, do you have PSUserConfig.txt file in your preferences folder on disk?  If yes, what do you have in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick help, that's really rad of you. I can't find that file anywhere, but when I saw your advice on the other thread, the first thing I did was reset my preferences. Would that have deleted the file? Where should I look for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, now my question would be, for drawing performance / latency am I better off keeping version 23.4.2 and using Native Canvas and rulers until this bug is fixed, or using version 23.5 with Native Canvas deactivated and native rulers switched off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't find that file anywhere, don't worry about it.  You would have had to manually create and place it there.

Is the OS you're running an Insider Preview build of Win 11 22H2?

Would it be possible for you to attach or link to a video that shows the flickering problem?  

Does it happen with all brushes or one in particular?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I think a long time ago I did that as a workaround for something but not for a while.

I'm in running the Release Preview version of 22h2. I've been running it for a couple months, also kept up to date on PS, no issues until this recent update. Short video of the flicker attached, thanks for your input. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chad, just noticed that I didn't aswer one of your questions... It happens with all brushes, from what I can tell, but is (possibly) more pronounced with the inky KW brushes that I use most.  The video I posted uses ExpressInk from the Spring 2022 pack. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  The video is very helpful!  Looks like the canvas is flickering which indicates a GPU or compositing issue. If the problem goes away when you have Deactivate Native Canvas in Technically Preview preferences, it's a GPU issue. I'll have someone from that team take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chad, sorry to bug you about this again, is the solution to this going to come from a small Photoshop update or a new Nvidia driver? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be from a Photoshop update.  No idea when tho. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.5.1 update today fixed the issue for me! No flicker, brush response / reduced latency is better than ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, sorry to retract 23.5.1 as a solution. Initially, there was no flicker but after switching to full screen mode at screen resolution (for me that is 4500 x 3000) the issue came back and then was there to stay. Had to revert back to 23.4.2 where it doesn't happen. Also, I have updated to the newest Nvidia Studio Driver which also doesn't seem to have solved the issue. Will keep an eye out for another PS update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to newest nVidia driver and the issue persists and seems to be triggered by switching to fullscreen mode. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team has been able to reproduce this and are working on a solution.

Thank you,

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checked today's update (24) with the new Nvidia Studio driver... Still get the same flicker unless I turn off Native Canvas. Damn, was really hoping today would be the fix.  Any idea when we can expect this bug to be patched?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Micah,

We believe we have a fix for this issue in the 24.1 release, which is scheduled for mid-December.  The fix is also in the current beta build.  If you have a chance to install the beta build, please let us know if the issue is resolved. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erin! I just ran the current beta and am very happy to report that the flicker is gone and the brush performance is *chef's kiss*. Absolutely awesome. Can't come soon enough, I've been literally checking every other day for an update. Really want to use this new version, stuck on 23.4.2 until its fixed. Is it my imagination that the brush input latency is much improved with whatever it is you are doing now? This adds a lot of value for people like me who primarily use PS to draw. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the current Beta is so good (for me!) is there an easy way to import my preferences from my stable build and just use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Micah,

I’m so glad to hear that the brush improvements are working for you.

There isn’t an automated way to transfer Photoshop Release settings to Photoshop Beta, but you can try copying files over from inside C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022 to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop (Beta)

Rename the files that are different. For example, the Adobe Photoshop 2022 Prefs.psp would be renamed Adobe Photoshop (Beta) Prefs.psp.  Also, please save a backup of your Adobe Photoshop 2022 Settings folder in case it’s needed.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And with the release of 24.1 today, the flicker is officially gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 24.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 24.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate