• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working on Catalina OS. saving file extension works now but does not save over jpg when saving it creates a copy which is annoying and time consuming to fix

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 834 Replies 834
834 Comments
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand this. The problem was that Photoshop would not update the file extension if you save a file in another format, so for example you have a tiff file now and you choose save as jpeg. That will obviously always save a copy.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not overwriting an existing jpeg when saving with the same file name, it's adding 'copy' to the end of the file name and saving a second jpeg file. It will however, when saving for a third time automatically choose the 'copy' version to overwrite, but brings up a new pop-up box after the normal 'do you want to replace...' warning, which seems to double check that you want to replace it (adding even more time spent saving).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem as Steven. I created a layered photoshop image and save it as .psd. Once finished I flattened the image and did a "SAVE AS" and chose JPEG. The file extension never changed to .jpg. It kept the .psd extension an over wrote my layered file. Which now can not be recognized by photoshop when I try to reopen it. have to start from scratch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read what Steven wrote. This is not the same problem. What you describe is the problem I mentioned above, where the file type is not updated. That problem should be fixed in the Photoshop 20.0.7 update that came out last week.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the exact same problem. I had an online chat with an adobe helper but he didn't seem to have any idea how to fix it. I'm not even sure he fully grasped what the problem was. I am going to get back to them tomorrow afternoon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue! I am working in Photoshop and wish to save my work as a .jpg -- no problem there. However, when I make changes (to the original layered .psd file) and try to save again as a .jpg --- it adds "copy" to the file name instead of overwriting the existing image. 

I'm "Save as > .jpg" - and then choosing the existing image location. I do get a prompt - "do you wish to overwrite" to which I say "Yes" ---- but still, "copy" is added to the file name and a new file is created, keeping the old file in tact. Annoying that I have to manually update the name, trash the old image, etc!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! And it just started doing this recently and is a massive time-leech deleting all these original (now unedited/un-updated) files and renaming the new file without "copy" in it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here guys!  Photoshop will not overwrite a JPG, it adds "copy" to the filename which is so bad for my workflow.

I called photoshop support and they said it was a known bug, and would be fixed in the next update.  

I hope that's true....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we going to be compensated by Adobe for these major and time consuming faults in their program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Adobe please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to version 21.0 but the jpg overwrite issue still remains. Waiting for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly how my conversation went with adobe. The girl claimed that it has always been this way....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my issue thanks Jen

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just talked to adobe online support and the girl claimed that it has always been like this and you can't save over a jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - Do you want to replace existing jpg? Pressing yes does not replace, but creates a copy.
This affects my work a lot.  If I overlook this, the wrong image is appearing on all the tablets of my salesreps.  Their software is looking for image A001.jpg not A001copy.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to save over an existing jpg image.  
xyz.jpg already exists, do you want to replace it?
Usually I simply say "replace" and it overrides the previous jpg.  Now it is letting me believe that all is good, HOWEVER it is creating a new file called xyzcopy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as everyone else and it's really messing up my organization as I like to save any edits over an existing file with the same name. Now I have to look for copy along with the original file name. What is going on? I finally decided to look this up because I knew this wasn't right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save out a jpg file on top of an existing jpg to overwrite, Photoshop makes a new file with a " copy" in the end of the filename instead of owerwrite the original. Its extremely frustrating and it it is a huge part of the Photoshop to Indesign daily workflow for most graphics artists.

Photshop even gives me the popup saying that the file already exists and asks me if I want to replace it. I click "Replace" or "Overwrite" or whatever it is in english, and it creates a copy instead. And my linked jpg file in my Indesign layout of course isn't updated automatically and I have to find the file, delete the original and the rename the new copy so it has the same name as the original. This is a pretty huge game breaker in my daily workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue -- could not overwrite an existing jpeg when saving with the same file name.  I contacted Adobe and got these instructions, which worked for me:  

1) Close all Adobe related processes in activity monitor (Creative cloud, Core sync, CC library, services for adobe desktop app, adobe desktop service, Adobe IPC broker, AAM updater)

2) Navigate to following locations and assign the current user full permissions to adobe folders. To navigate click go from menu bar at then click goto.. type /Library/application support/   and click go.

3) To assign the permission right click on adobe folder and click Get info.. A property window will open. Then click on lock symbol to enable editing. Then click + sign to add your username. Then change read only to read and write. Then click gear symbol at the bottom and click apply to enclosed items and click ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing Leslie! Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I want to Save As and replace a file, but it does not overwrite or replace, Photoshop adds "copy" to the end of the file name instead. Then I have to delete the old file and rename the new file by removing "copy" in the file name. It is happening with the TIFFs and JPEGs that I'm saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you haven't seen my previous post about the solution:  I had this same issue -- could not overwrite an existing jpeg when saving with the same file name.  I contacted Adobe and got these instructions, which worked for me:  

1) Close all Adobe related processes in activity monitor (Creative cloud, Core sync, CC library, services for adobe desktop app, adobe desktop service, Adobe IPC broker, AAM updater)

2) Navigate to following locations and assign the current user full permissions to adobe folders. To navigate click go from menu bar at then click goto.. type /Library/application support/   and click go.

3) To assign the permission right click on adobe folder and click Get info.. A property window will open. Then click on lock symbol to enable editing. Then click + sign to add your username. Then change read only to read and write. Then click gear symbol at the bottom and click apply to enclosed items and click ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing Leslie, unfortunately, this is not working for me. Does it work for other people?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attempted this fix as well, and it did not work for me either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad to say, after working correctly for about 1 day, this fix no longer works for me, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate