• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Brush Outline/Circle disappearing when working with masks

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is already a discussion in the community "Brush Outline/Circle disappearing intermittently (NOT CAPS LOCK) ". But since I have figured out in detail how to reproduce the behavior and when it becomes present, I want to report the issue officialy that Adobe hopefully will fix this in one of the next upcoming patch releases.

OS Environment:

• Win 10 Pro 64bit 21H1
  • Adobe Ps 23.0.2

The issue is only present in combination when using Masks on a layer!

1. Create a new document (white, black or transparent layer)
  2. Add a Mask to the layer
  3. Select the layer OR the mask (independent on what you want to paint)
  4. Select the brush tool
  5. Try to start moving the mouse quickliy and pressing the left mouse button nearly at the same time and keep the mouse button pressed
  6. Try to repeat until the you get locked in the issue and the brush circle disappears and the mouse arrow becomes visible

When working with a mouse as input device, the chance to facing this issue is probably rare because this kind of operation, moving the mouse and clicking the button nearly at the same time is kindly unnatural.

But it looks different when using a pen tablet as input device, because now it becomes a more natural operation when hover the pen toward the tablet surface and then drop down onto the surface to start painting.

Kind regards

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 203 Replies 203
203 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to PS 2022 (I was still on 2019 previously). Now whenever I am using the brush tool, the circle showing the size of the brush will disappear sometimes when I initiate a brush stroke, and instead I see only a regular windows-style "arrow" cursor (not the crosshair - I am not pressing caps lock by mistake). This happens intermittently and seemingly randomly. It makes it difficult to work with layer masks, etc. since I cannot see the boundaries of where I am brushing.

I'm on a Windows 10 PC.

Anyone else have this issue? Any known fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience similar issue on my Windows 10 machine. Sometimes reducing the brush size fixes it but not always. I didn't have this issue with 2021, 2020, and 2019 versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and I guess that hitting caps lock, or ALT does not resolve the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

[..] the circle showing the size of the brush will disappear sometimes when I initiate a brush stroke, and instead I see only a regular windows-style "arrow" cursor [..]

By @TimKamppinen

I can confirm the same bahavior on my environment.

Either by using the mouse or the pen tablet as input, totaly independent from the input device.

Never had the issue in the previous Ps versions.

Environment:

- Ps 2022 (v23.0.2)

- Win 10 Pro x64

- Wacom Intuos Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and I guess that hitting caps lock, or ALT does not resolve the issue?

By @PECourtejoie

No this does not help, neither pressing caps lock nor pressing ALT resolves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, are the cursors flickering between the two types, arrow and circle ? Some users reported shutting down other software running (even an old version of the Adobe application manager, the predecessor of the creative cloud desktop app) fixed their issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the cursors do not flickering between the two types.

When the bruch circle is disappearing since the mouse butten is presssed then the arrow becomes visible without flickering between those two kind of types.

If the circle disppears the arrow becomes visible, independent if the mouse is beeing moved or stopped.

Only when the mouse butten is released the arrow disappears and the circle becomes visible again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I have played a bit and I was able to narrow down the topic.

The behavior is reproducible and I will explain in detail how.

The issue is only present in combination when using Masks on a layer!

1. Create a new document (white, black, transparent...)
  2. Add a Mask to the layer
  3. Select the layer or the mask (independent on what you want to paint)
  4. Select the brush tool
  5. Try to start moving the mouse quickliy and pressing the left mouse button nearly at the same time and keep the mouse button pressed
  6. Try to repeat until the you get locked in the issue and the brush circle disappears and the mouse arrow becomes visible

When working with a mouse as input device, the chance to facing this issue is probably rare because this kind of operation, moving the mouse and clicking the button nearly at the same time is kindly unnatural.

But it looks different when using a pen tablet as input device, because now it becomes a more natural operation when hover the pen toward the tablet surface and then drop down onto the surface to start painting.

Hope someone else can reproduce the problem using these detailed steps too.

Kind regards...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issue since upgrading to Photoshop 2022. It was not present in previous versions of Photoshop. Windows is fully updated, my graphics driver is fully updated.

The circle outline does not flicker, it just disappears randomly when using the brush tool. The files I'm working with have multiple layers, but there are NO masks involved, so I don't think that's the issue. (At least in my case.)

No known solution, unfortunately. Since it worked fine before PS 2022, it seems to be a bug on Adobe's part...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to reproduce this. I've asked for some other folks on the team to help try and reproduce. There may be some other secret ingredients to make it happen. (UI scaling, GPU, installed extensions or 3rd party panels - or we're simply not hitting the timing just right) Let me know if anything jumps out as a smoking gun. I tried @Belichtungsquartier steps with no luck. Maybe a screen recording of the entire Photoshop workspace demostrating the behavior may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can try to give you any information I have, but I'm not sure what the factor might be outside of Photoshop 2022 versus older versions. I don't have any 3rd party panels, extensions, or plugins installed outside of Adobe's Camera Raw. I can do a dump of the "System Info" Photoshop pulls up, if that would help.

...After playing around a bit, I might have narrowed down the circumstances in which this happens -- although it still seems somewhat random.

1. painting cursors set to "normal brush tip"
  2. dodge or burn tool set to 750px
  3. use the brush on the canvas
  4. Edit > Fade x Tool > x%
  5. use the brush again

Intermittenly, the circle online will disappear upon using the brush after fading the previous stroke.

I'm not sure if it has to do with timing -- if Photoshop is lagging on executing the "fade" command, and trying to use the brush again too quickly is what's causing the circle to disappear, or if it's some other factor. All I know is the problem only cropped up after updating to PS 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @J453,

I have already cereated a screen recording that will show the behavior. But unfortunately there is no option to upload a video to this platform. How can I provide you this video sequence?

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload to CC files and share a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or please use this dropbox link for the video file.

Ps2022_v23.0.2_Brush_Circle_when_using_Masks_Issue.mp4 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the video, we are working on trying to reproduce the issue.

The System info may provide addtional insight to hardware and settings for Photoshop.

In Photoshop, select Help > System Info.

1. In the System Info dialog, click Copy.
  2. Attach or copy the info here to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Belichtungsquartier If you open the Brush Settings Panel in Photoshop and observe the Brush Preview:

• Please reproduce the problem with your steps.
  • When the cursor gets stuck > does the icon appear at that time and does it stay that icon or does it render the brush stroke ? 

Screenshot 2021-12-06 094339.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Daniel Presedo 

a.) Screenshot attached when the cursor gets stuck.

Ps2022_v23.0.2_Brush_Circle_Issue.png

b.) System Info available via dropbox Ps2022_v23.0.2_SystemInfo.txt 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Daniel Presedo 

Not OP, but I'm seeing the same as your screenshot -- when the brush's circle outline disappears, the brush changes to the generic paintbrush icon and stays that way until the mouse button is released again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem persists with the new version 23.1

Any Idea what is the root cause of this issue? Or did somebody else was able to reproduce the bahavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is still present with the latest v23.1.1

Is there somebody from adboe who can reproduce and confirm that behavior?
If yes, is the issue highlighted as a bug report for detailed analysis to fix this problem in one of the next upcoming releases?

Kind regards 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this?

Got a bunch of users having this issue on all our new imac 2021 Intel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also confirming that this is still an issue in the latest update. No masks required in my case!

It seems that this behavior is reproducible (see screenshot re: generic paintbrush icon versus expected brushstroke preview), but there's no fix on the horizon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voir la suite des programmes 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been using photoshop and lightroom for about 4 or 5 years now (purchased with Photography plan). Some time ago (where nothing notable changed) both lightroom and photoshop has been incredibly slow/freezing when using. Other apps and my taskbar starts flickering. Lightroom completely freezes - with no progress being made - and photoshop loads incredibly slow - normally instant things takes minutes. Until i take my mouse on another app or my taskbar, then it runs fine.
I used to have 2 1080p monitors where it didn't work on both, I replaced one of them with a 1440p and now it only doesn't work on my 1440p. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the apps and drivers for the screens and graphics card (GTX 1070 Ti), and nothing helps. I have tried every nvidia setting and adobe performance setting in the apps without that helping either. I even thought it was the hz difference or cables but changing those didn't help either.

I have tried every freezing/crashing fix i have been able to find and none of  it helps. I haven't found anyone with the excact same problem but maybe i'm bad at googling it.

My specs are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

16GB of ram

GTX 1070 Ti

1080p 60hz screen (Was my old main screen where the bug happened, now secondary screen that works)

1440p 165hz screen (Where the bug is now happening)

With those specs i can usually run just about anything at reasonable-good speeds so i have no clue why this is happening. I have attached a video of the flickering if you are wondering what i'm talking about. Thank you in advance for any help or ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate