• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgraded to Photoshop 2024, can't open any CR2 file, Photoshop has to be closed via End Task

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new here and have been extensively scrolling through previous posts trying to solve my issue.  I recently upgraded to Photoshop 2024 via Creative Cloud and things were working.  I don't use Lightroom, so uninstalled to free up hard drive space.  I think I uninstalled a few others things (possibly Camera Raw) but don't recall.  That's when PS2024 quit working.... meaning the PS app launches, but if I try to open any CR2 file, it acts like it will open (cursor circles), then it just stops.  At this point, if I try to click File, Edit, or anything on the toolbar, including the X to exit the app, it just beeps the Windows sound, and my only option is to End Task to close PS.

At this point, I have uninstalled PS (including my Topaz DeNoize plugin), Creative Cloud, Camera Raw, etc. mutliple times, rebooted, reinstalled, and nothing seems to work.  I've even installed PSv2023 but still can't open a CR2file.  I've ensured I right click on a CR2 file and tell it to open with PS.  I also saw on a post to reset preferences by Shift+Ctrl+Alt when starting PS, but that didn't change anything.  I installed Adobe Bridge and set the File Type preferences to open CR2 with PS. Still nothing. Ironically, I've reinstalled Lightroom and that works, but I prefer to use Photoshop and know this app "should" work!

I haven't been able to get into PS for over a week, and when you're paying for a subscription you expect apps to work.  I really hope someone will take pity on me and give me some tips as I'm seriously frustrated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

EUREKA!  After running the Adobe cleaner tool, reinstalling PS and Camera Raw, I'm finally up and running again.  Thank you everyone for your patience and quick replies during my first attempt at needing community help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open then via Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'...I think I uninstalled a few others things (possibly Camera Raw) but don't recall...'

If you are opening a raw file (which CR2 is) then you need Camera Raw installed.

Check in C:>Program Files>Common Files>Adobe>PlugIns>CC>FileFormats for a file named Camera Raw.8bi

If it is not present, try re-installing it from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly sounds like you messed up something, if you can't even recall what you removed.

These things need to be done properly. It's not just the program files, there are also registry keys that need to be correctly set.

Worst case you can use the Adobe Cleaner tool. It removes every trace of previously installed applications for a fresh start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the delay, the email replies went to my spam folder.

I've never had an issue with Photoshop in the many years I've been using it, so this is a first for me.  Thanks for your patience.  Yes, I inadvertently uninstalled Camera Raw but have since reinstalled. I  will try your suggestion with the Cleaner tool.

mrsgoatman_0-1713373487086.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I can confirm I have this file:

mrsgoatman_0-1713373599981.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I've never used Bridge to edit photos, so I'm not sure how to navigate but will research.  When I do launch Bridge , then open a CR2 file from here, Photoshop again opens the app, my cursor spins, then nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide details on how to run the Adobe Cleaner tool?  I haven't found a good link in the community forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind, found  a link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EUREKA!  After running the Adobe cleaner tool, reinstalling PS and Camera Raw, I'm finally up and running again.  Thank you everyone for your patience and quick replies during my first attempt at needing community help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines