Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjusting Individual Layers within files

Engaged ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Is there a way to "Flip" an indivual layer (to its mirror image), without affecting any other layers in a file?

Thanks

Sand Patch

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

The is only one visible layer above your  "Transition to white copy" layer Are you sure all layer above and below  "Transition to white copy" have flipped? can you show the layer stack before and after the flip? Artwork 3 looks like a texture may not be able to tell if it flipped or not the background white flipped or not..  The none visible Top Layer and layer above the background thumbnails will easily tell if all flipped or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal is the command

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I had done before. However, despite my having selected the desired Layer, that caused the entire file to be affected.

Sand Patch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would happen if, before executing the command, you selected all the layers and none were locked.Please post the Layers panel and full screen so that we can see what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your layers linked?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you group or link your layers?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not do anything, like grouping, etc., to the layers, other than locking the ones that I didn't want affected. But, when I selected the "Transition to white copy" layer, and had done the recommended steps, the entire file was flipped as a result.

Photoshop_01.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The is only one visible layer above your  "Transition to white copy" layer Are you sure all layer above and below  "Transition to white copy" have flipped? can you show the layer stack before and after the flip? Artwork 3 looks like a texture may not be able to tell if it flipped or not the background white flipped or not..  The none visible Top Layer and layer above the background thumbnails will easily tell if all flipped or not.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a shot of the final project to my satisfaction, without doing flipping.

Photoshop_02.JPG

Next, here is the image when it has been flipped Horizontally.

Photoshop_03.JPG

Finally, here it is in a vertical form.

Photoshop_04.JPG

What makes this even more perplexing to me is that the horizontal and vertical flip commands seem to react the exact opposite of what they are supposed to.

Sand Patch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines