• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop's Subscription Model Concerns

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many users have expressed frustration with Adobe Photoshop's subscription-only model, which requires a monthly or annual fee to access the software. While this model offers regular updates and support, some users find it costly, especially for occasional or non-professional users. Additionally, the lack of a perpetual license option restricts users who prefer to own their software outright. This issue has sparked discussions about alternative pricing models that could better accommodate different user needs and budgets, such as a pay-as-you-go option or a more affordable single-purchase license for basic features. Addressing these concerns could help Adobe retain its user base and attract new customers looking for more flexible pricing options.

TOPICS
iPadOS , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe Photoshop's subscription-only model"

I doubt that will ever change. (And IIRC the subscription model was introduced in response to changes in USA tax laws.)

"some users find it costly, especially for occasional or non-professional users."

It may be the case for some, but for me (an amateur user) for the cost of a hamburger at Maccas once a month- I can subscribe and have Photoshop, Lightroom-Classic, all Lightroom Mobile Apps, Portfolio Site, etc

I estimate it will take me 11 years of subscription fees (to the Annual Photography Plan 20GB US$9.99/m ) to equal a single-purchase license for these apps (based on historical prices.).

"could help Adobe retain its user base and attract new customers"

I doubt Adobe is really concerned with attracting new customers - it's happening already!

"According to recent estimates, Adobe's Creative Cloud subscription service had accumulated around 23 million active users as of mid-2022. Launched in 2012, Creative Cloud has seen rapid expansion from 1.4 million subscribers at the end of 2013."

https://www.skillademia.com/statistics/adobe-statistics/

Obviously there are "some" that like the subscription-only model.

A "pay-as-you-go option" would suit very occasional users. You can have a 'Monthly' subscription for Photoshop only for US$22.99/Month.! Cancel any time.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We hear you but subscriptions are here to stay. Ask Microsoft, Adobe or any major software vendor.

There was a huge outcry back in 2012 when the Cloud was first launched.

Adobe's Creative Cloud Move Causes Outcry And Confusion (forbes.com)

That didn't stop Adobe who are delighted to report record growth in Cloud subscription figures every year.

Last count (end of 2023) there were around 33 million subscribers. That's around 1 million new subscribers every 3 months with most renewing at the end of their contract.

Creative Cloud User Base Surpasses 33 Million Paid Subscribers | ProDesignTools

If you want perpetual licenses, try Photoshop Elements or non-Adobe products. Adobe is no longer interested in perpetual licensing or any other licensing models for its most used apps. The existing Cloud subscription model is continually successful beyond expectations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines