• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Align the center of two objects, but only one object is shifted.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help me please. How to align center of one object relative to another without moving the second object? When I click Align Center, both objects are offset, but I only need to offset one. I will send you two images of what i mean:

The red square remains in place, and the blue square is aligned to the center of the red square. Red square should not move. Thanks in advance!1.png2.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

You could load the red square’s transparency as a Selection before aligning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Goodness that works.  Nice one.

So in case you are not getting what c.p. is saying, simply Ctrl click the red square layer icon to load it as a selection, and then use the alighn tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could load the red square’s transparency as a Selection before aligning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodness that works.  Nice one.

So in case you are not getting what c.p. is saying, simply Ctrl click the red square layer icon to load it as a selection, and then use the alighn tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I get it, thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Loll, I sometimes don't know how to do basics things too, so I'm not surprised although you are experienced user you was not aware of this obvious trick. I still learn much from here 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! I do not quite understand how to do this, could you explain in more detail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if that is even possible with the Align tools.  The way I do it is to have Smart Guides turned on, and View > Snap to Guides checked, and use that.  If you hold down the Shift key it will force the moved object to remain on the horizontal or vertical, so you wait till the pink line appear and it's job done.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, my friend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines