• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can someone help get me sorted working with 3d??

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for the record, i'm a video editor, not a graphic designer, but i have an idea i'm trying to execute, and failing miserably at. i basically just have a rasterized text layer i'm trying to extrude, and it rounds my crisp font to look like kitana blades. i can't figure out why it's doing that, or how to stop it. and i want to change the color of the extrusion.

so i made a video showing what i'm wanting to do, and if someone can help fix whatever problem i'm having to get it corrected. thanks.

thanks!

https://youtu.be/VyEZC7LZFwk

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you have actual text, why not use that directly? Other than that you can always convert the text to paths or create a selection, both of which methods behave way better than letting the automatic tesseletaion determine the geometry. It may also help if you used a mmuch higher resolution in your document, as it would produce more and finer triangles relative to the document size.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to work with 3D you should use applications designed for 3D work Adobe has some 3D application.  Photoshop is not one of them.   Photoshop has  some basic 3D function like it has basic  Video function.  Photoshop is more then an Images editor It is a full blown Image editor with extra features that are helpful creating product images and illustration images  for the web. Photoshop is a professional tool. If You want to use Photoshop 3D features use Photoshop 2020.   Adobe has not fully  updated Photoshop 3D feature in Photoshop 2021.  There are many issues in Photoshop 2021. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm aware of what photoshop is, and how it's used. in 2011 i was added to the adobe encore cs6 (mango) pre-release test team based on my knowledge of helping other's fulful their potential of marrying photoshop with after effects and encore. i just wanted to make a silly facebook banner and have no idea what i'm doing cause i just never use 3d.

what program do you recommend? i just need to make the world's simplest extrusion. i would assyume photoshop cs1 should handle that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Keith Huntington 

I'll tag our 3D expert @davescm .

Try going to Preferences >Technology Previews > enable Deactivate Native Canvas. Quit Photoshop and relaunch.

Until he is back on the forums, here is a quote he said in another thread:

"Deactivate Native Canvas forces the GPU to use the older GPU functions. After any GPU driver update, which could be delivered via your operating system, or after updating Photoshop, uncheck it and try the new functions again.

"Note though that some older functionality in Photoshop, such as 3D and Lighting effects, still relies on the older Open GL graphics and so also need Deactivate Native Canvas to be checked ."

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

If you want a sharp extrusion, either extrude the unrasterised text or, if you don't have that font, trace the rasterised layer with the pen tool to create a path and extrude that. You can add colour after you extrude.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines