Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Create/Open new File - Photoshop CC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I just purchased Creative Cloud recently, went to go open up Photoshop today and it won't allow me to create new files or open existing PSDs:

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoWKJbIf3BI

I can, however, operate in Acrobat and Illustrator just fine.

I'd first googled around a bit to see if anyone else had the problem, noticed there had been a few threads. My troubleshooting steps thusfar.

1. secpol.msc > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode (disabled)

2. Took ownership of Adobe directories at C:\Program Files\Adobe, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe

3. secpol.msc > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode (enabled)

4. Trashed Preferences on startup.

Pertinent bits of info:

GPU: EVGA GTX 560ti (latest drivers)
Photoshop CS6 via Creative Cloud.

Any help would be much appreciated! It's working fine on my laptop (Mac OS 10.8) but the desktop is a little sketchy with Photoshop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Try this: Edit > Preferences > General > check "Use Legacy "New Document" Interface"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using CS6?  Why are you not using Photoshop CC?

And did you get the latest drivers from NVidia, or Microsoft (big mistake)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, it was late when I was posting that question.

I am using Photoshop CC, not CS6. Can't edit the main topic line now, unfortunately.

Using Nvidia's driver: version 327.23, definitely not the microsoft one, I know how terrible those are, lol.

Here's a DXDiag: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=6zmYuzPF
Here's a PS Sysinfo: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=GX2bA6hH

I have marginal luck by trashing preferences and setting the drawing mode to basic, but that's about as far as I've gotten now, the problem remains intermittent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, display driver looks good.

And you're not even seeing the document window open.  That's odd.

It could be on another display (especially if you recently had another display connected).

Or it could be some utility interfering with Photoshop's event handling -- hmm, someone recently saw something like that, and the cause wasn't obvious... now where was that discussion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does rebooting the machine change the behavior?

Does logging in under a different user change the behavior?

Do you have any third party plugins?

Are you using any prepress management systems (one is known to install some bad javascripts)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With regard to the display:
I do have dual displays, but they don't ever get disconnected; no windows pop up on any other screen.

With regard to rebooting:

Rebooting usually allows me to open and work on one document, then upon closing photoshop & opening later, I am back to the same issue.

With regard to different users:
It's the same under all users

With regard to 3rd party plugins:
Nah, this is a fresh installation of both Windows 8.1 & Creative Cloud + PS, AI, etc.

With regard to Prepress management systems:
No, there's nothing else installed on this machine. Pretty much as fresh as an installation can be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so most likely this is going to be caused by something at the system level.

The fact that it works after a reboot, but not after relaunching the app definitely means it is something outside of Photoshop.

There has to be some system setting, utility, driver, or other app interfering.

But I'm really not sure what could cause the new document to not happen and not create a window.

Hmm, after you try to create a new document, check the Windows menu and see if it lists a window for that document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, sorry, have been incredibly busy this week

It's currently in its intermittent phase of working - if it happens again I'll repost on this thread with whether or not it comes up in the Window menu.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any developments on this thread as I'm experiencing the same issues. I had no trouble for a couple of weeks but recently updated my BIOS, not sure if this would have affected CC.

Any help appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent a little time looking into what was installed with the BIOS update and there was an update to my Nvidia driver. I unintalled Photoshop CC, updated all My Nvidia drivers and reinstalled Ps CC. Now everything seem to be working OK. Will post back if things go awry again.

Hope this helps anyone else with similar issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No update yet

I actually switched back to Windows 7 due to some other issues that were frankly killing me with 8 & 8.1, apparently I happen to have one of the few gigabyte motherboards that doesn't agree very much with Windows 8, just developing WinPhone apps on a VM now.

However, the switch to Windows 7 appears to not have solved the problem - had the same issue crop up yesterday.Checked the window menu, nothing new. no layers created in the layer palette, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. Things worked for a while and I now have the same issue back.

Not sure what to do now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same exact issue. I also had in CS6 towards the end of CS6 and the merge to CC. I have plenty of drive space. I was running a GTX680 Classified and since then I have Dual 770 SLI and either in SLI or SLI Disabled the issue still exists.

If I click File--New it asks for the dimensions and when I click nothing happens. If I reboot I can open documents until I close photoshop then I have to reboot to have it open documents again. I am familiar with Photoshop and a Premiere Certified Expert.

However, for the life of me using Nvidia drivers from 8 months to the latest all result in the same issue.

Windows 7, SSD's, 64GB DDR3, Hex Core 3930K, Rampage IV Extreme Mobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started experiencing problems today... they seem a bit like what this thread is about not sure and I'm wasting so much time (all morning), trying to figure out the issues...

1. I can't open files directly from any of my directories (only in photoshop).  If I go file, open I can open them.

2. The only way to edit path layes is with the path selector tool. I cannot move these paths unless I select all path anchors and control+t (transform) then move it where I want. This is very annoying.

3. I don't see any properties for my path layers... There is another thread discussing this dated back for 9/2012 I think. I'm experiencing so many things at once...

Aside from cancelling my subscription to cc and reverting back to an older version of adobe, what else can I do to fix this? I have already reset preferences etc...Total time suck = over $1,000 in cost in less than 2 weeks.

I never experienced so many issues in previous versions of CS that prevented me from getting things done Some h elp is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues. Using Photoshop CC. I have rebooted my machine several times. Uninstalled Photoshop CC and reinstalled it. Still have the same issue. 

1. I can't open files directly  without it freezing up. Go to "open" and it freezes.

I haven't been able to get any work done and have beent trying to resolve this problem for the past 3.5 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

This issue rears it head every time my windows updater runs. Something being installed as part of the Windows updates is interfering with PhotoShop.

Here is a list of what my machine installed yesterday:

• Security Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB2837597) 32-Bit Edition
  • Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB2888505)
  • Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 (KB2890573)
  • Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2868626)
  • Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2830477)
  • Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726) 32-Bit Edition
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589352) 32-Bit Edition
  • Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2875783)
  • Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2900986)
  • Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2893519)
  • Update for Root Certificates for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems [November 2013] (KB931125)
  • Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2868725)
  • Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - November 2013 (KB890830)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2760781) 32-Bit Edition
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2597087) 32-Bit Edition
  • Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2876331)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553284) 32-Bit Edition
  • Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2862152)

Someone at Adobe and/or Microsoft need to look into this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently the only solution I have for this is to un-install and reinstall PhotoShop CC after every windows update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave.parker wrote:

Currently the only solution I have for this is to un-install and reinstall PhotoShop CC after every windows update.

What version do you end up with when you reinstall?  14.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I get 14.1.2 which I believe is still the current version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issues was resolved. There was a server backup in progress which lead to Photoshop CC freezing up because it was trying to pull files from that server.  The backup was preventing it which cause Photoshop CC to freeze up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this thread has been inactive for a while, but I was having the same issue on Windows 8.1 with CS6 and an Intel grapahics card.  Each time I launched Photoshop I received an error message that the graphics driver crashed and recovered and then Photoshop was unable to open or create new files.  I noticed that the process siffer_gpu was using a lot of CPU.  Killing the process while Photoshop was open now allows me open and create new documents.  This is just a work around but I figured it may be useful if anyone else stumbles on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And did you update your Intel video card driver that was causing all the problems?

Did you update it from Intel's website, or Microsofts (big mistake) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue similar setup, working with tech support now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been enduring this annoying problem for months now. I've spoken to at least 3 "Adobe Photoshop Support Techs" and they don't know what the heck they're doing.

Every time they've fiddled around with my settings (remotely) and inevitably restart my computer which "fixes" the problem. Like, yeaaah I know that rebooting my whole machine will get it to work again but who has time for that. I'll have several windows/apps running in the background and it becomes a huge inconvenience to have to close out of everything just so I can get Photoshop  CC to open a new or existing file.

The last time one of the Adobe Tech people called me they updated my AMD driver... restarted my computer and it was "fixed". Nope, per usual, I'm mid work-flow and I'll have to restart my computer. to get Photoshop to work.

Also like the person who started this thread, Illustrator CC always works.

Any new developments on this issue???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perhaps it time to start comparing hardware and software. If it always works fine after a reboot. Then perhaps it's software/utility/driver issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines