• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can’t find PSD files

New Here ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open a psd file in Photoshop that I recently worked on it seemes to have disappeared on my Imac.
I get the message that the file can't be opened because it has been moved or deleted. I'am working in the Creative Cloud where I can only see 2 remaining files in my files overview (there are more disappeared).

I can't find the file in the cloud and I can't find it on my local drive. I didn't delete the file. Where can it be and how should I recover it? 
Really hope that someone can help me because lot of hours work are in the file.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Annamiek 

Are you using File > Open or are you using the recents showing in the Home Screen? Recents won't work if the file was moved, deleted, or renamed.

Are you saving to an external drive?

Here's one thing to try that will help you in the future, if not now.

• Create a new file and save it as a PSD
  • Make it a floating window (Window menu or pull it down)
  • Command + Click the title bar to reveal the entire path and see where it has been saved
  • Click the folder where it resides to open Finder to that folder. Is the file where you expected it? If not, move it in Finder.
  • Return to Photoshop and either drag the document window back to the top or choose Consolidate from the Window menu.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Jane! I understand this, tried it before.  Followed your steps again but can't find the file. I'm afraid I lost it forever by making a big mistake 😟
Annamiek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I lost it forever by making a big mistake 😟
Annamiek

By @Annamiek

Do you actively make note of where you save files? If not, then you should make this a habit.

If you can remember a part of the file name or what type of image format it was, you'll need to search your drive/s to see if you can find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember a part of the file name, but can't find it anywhere. You are right that I must take care where I'm saving my files, that's the problem I'm afraid. Just a beginner with Photoshop, all the creative things are going well, but this simple stuff of saving a file was going wrong.....

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always search for any .psd file - good luck!

It's not just Photoshop, it's any program. Developing the habit to make an explicit save to a specific location is critical. Having a logical folder structure is important for file and project management in a traditional desktop file system.

This rigid, structured mindset and associated procedures are not suited to everyone, which is why iOS and catalogue/database alternatives are popular. I remember reading a heretical article from Kai Krause over 25 years ago on the topic of a "file-system without folders that would leverage labels/tags/metadata to find things".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed your steps again but can't find the file.

By @Annamiek

Just checking: when you followed my steps, did you start by creating a new file (step 1) and you still couldn't find it? What happened when you got to the 3rd step and Command-clicked the title bar of the floating window?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Annamiek 

Moving forward, if you are still having issues saving files to intended locations and or finding files, the only other thing that I can think of is to use a script that will write the date/time, location and filename to a text log file. This script would be automatically triggered whenever you save a file using the Script Events Manager. I'm happy to help you with this if you think that this will help (it's not as difficult as one may think).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines