• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't make a horizontal or vertical line with shift key

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot make a horizontal or vertical line anymore using the shift key as I used to do.
The line is straight until I release the pointer of the shift key.

The same problem I have in Photoshop. There I cannot make a square selection, frame or shape. (I already know about the changing in photoshop using the shift).

It looks like something is broken.

I use windows 10

[Posted on January 14. ]

[Moved from Illustrator to Photoshop at the request of the OP since the problem is in both Illustrator and Photoshop and it has not been solved.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

You must keep the shift down, and mouse up first for this to work. you mentioned that you tried both.

Doubt this hardware problem as you are using mouse not digital tablet, though please do try another mouse.

Until this is resolved you can use the pen too, if you arleady are not doing that.  Click once hold down shift, then click second time?

You can  also look at the control setting for your mouse and key repeat rate.

I still have a suspicion  this is some OS level software interfering with your mo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried rebooting the computer? What version of Illustrator and Photoshop are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use illustrator cc2019 and photoshop cc2019. The problem exists already a few weeks. So yes, I rebooted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your shift key working, try setting a capital letter. When did this stop working, after updating to 2019 or did you maybe add some other software update eg: wacom or other). Have you restarted your computer since this started happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A capital works fine. Also other things I do with shift. I don't know exactly when it began. I think it was before installing 2019. I have a wacom tablet. Could that be the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to hold down the shift key the entire time, as the 2019 update only affects scaling. Do you have any othere software that affects the OS like antivirus or such?

Do you still have 2018 instlalled try that. I would always keep the previous version when updating, and you need to change the setting to do that.

I would update wacom driver to the new  6.3.32, regardless. Especially if you have dual monitors, as there was a sleep problem that fixed with which monitor was your main display.

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled cc2018. And now both 18 and 19 work better but still very strange.

Now, if I draw one line it goes skew.

If I draw several lines and keep the shift all the time, the first one goes skew and al the next ones go straight.

Because there are also problems with photoshop and scaling shapes I think it is a problem in windows or so.

I checked, I have the newest Wacom driver.

My antivirus is ESET.  I don't know what apps affects the OS. Threw away some apps like games and restarted. But it does not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem you describe I have not seen before, and I have seen many. AVAST antivirus, had an issue that added extra units

Major problem with units !

The region verison of windows you have may be an issue (see last post), is there a win 10 update?

Did the problem occur before ESET, or maybe started after ESET update? I would disable ESET, try running CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to MikeGondek, Jane-e and Bill Silbert for your suggestion

Unfortunatly the problem is not solved. The lines become skew as I release the cursor.

It is not just an illustrator problem, also photoshop gives scaling problems. Selecting and shape tool proportions are gone as soon as I release the cursor.

I would be glad with further assistence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to disable ESET, and do a windows update?

You can do a windows system restore to go back to a date before this started, or has this problem existed on this install?

Windows 10 problems? Discover how System Restore can help | BT

Good luck, any additional information provided about when tis started would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a complete new windows installation and so also a new adobe installation. Problem is still not solved. Could it be a hardware problem? That is what I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you have Microsoft Office installed? Can you test the Shift key with drawing shapes there? And I think Windows ships with a  Paint program of some kind — it might be called Microsoft Paint. Can you test the Shift key there with drawing shapes?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested and In Word and paint it works fine. So that means it is not a hardware issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try going to Preferences(General) in Illustrator and see what the Constrain Angle is set to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The angle is 0 degrees in that setting. The line makes different angles. It stops where I release the cursor. It is straight as long as I keep both shift and cursor pressed.

As answer to MikeGondek about when it started. I don't know exactly. It will be about 4 weeks ago I think. Don't know if it had to do with installing 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go the the View menu and see which Snaps are on, especially Snap to Grid.

Show the View menu if you don’t see anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 snaps were on, point and grid,  and I put them off. No result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To test: Turn Snap to Grid back on and turn on View Grid as well. Is the line snapping to the grid lines?

Now turn off both.

Keep Snap to Point on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what you said an snap to grid works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also snap to point works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does it make sense to start a topic about this in the photoshop section to? Because the problem occurs there: selection and scape scaling in proberties don't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because we haven’t solved it here, we can move this thread to the Photoshop forum if you’d like. Then they can see what we’ve already said. Cross-posting is frowned on. Shall we do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please, move this topic. Thanx for all your suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines