Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't open jpg's (& some other formats) from Finder

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

why can't I open .jpg's by clicking on a file in Finder?

I get an alert saying "file cannot be opened by PS because it is from an unidentified developer"

what the heck does that mean?  it's a photo from my camera... but even it it weren't.. that's no reason for PS to not open the file..

opening files from PS is not very practical, as the open-save dialog does not show thumbnails...

thank you for any insights..

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an unexpected message because it should never appear for documents. It’s a message that macOS might display when you try to run an application program, but of course images aren’t programs.

That makes me wonder what macOS thinks those files are. Do the files have filename extensions? In case extensions are hidden, go to the macOS Finder, select one of the files, choose File > Get Info, and look in the Name & Extension section. Also, look in the Open With section; are any applications set to open that file by default?

For a selected un-openable JPG file, does your Get Info window look more like A or B in the picture below?

JPEG-filename-extension.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, thank you for your response..

it looks like the first one..  and that's the other thing, I keep having to reset this (I want .jpg's to open in PS), I keept setting it, but next time I open a file it opens in Preview.. I set it again to open with PS, but then when I click on the file to open it, I get that alert (even on an image I just created in PS..)

.psd's open fine in PS by clicking on then in Finder, but not jpg's...

am on MBP, Ventura 13.5, Photosop 24.3.0

thank you..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@maya90 is your Mac user account an admin on the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it is.... I just looked it up...

thank you..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

instead of double clicking on the file, right click on it and choose open with Photoshop of the contextual menu

Capture d’écran 2024-03-07 à 15.54.41.png

Also ask infos of one fo the JPEG and choose open with Photoshop and select Apply (or modify ) to all

Capture d’écran 2024-03-07 à 15.54.59.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@didiermazier the last response from the OP states they are doing this and it keeps resetting back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad… Maybe they can try Photoshop 25.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your response.. Didier..  I know all these things..  I worked almost 20 years in web development, so I'm well-versed in this stuff... 🙂

these things are not working as expected, is the problem... 

as I mentioned in a previous post, after setting in the get-info dialog for .jpg's to open in PS , it doesn't take.. next time I click on a .jpg file (let's say next day or a few hours later) it again opens in Preview instead of opening in PS.. and I have to set it again..  

in addition to that, there is the problem that .jpg's, won't open in PS unless I open them from Photoshop.... 

thanks again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the jpgs stored? Local or external/server, etc?

I've seen behaviors like this (not holding settings) when the files are stored on a Windows server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

everything, sw and files, is in my HD...  

thank you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your response.. I know all this...

but it should also work by double-clicking a file... 

I mean if you set this in Get-Info.. but the Get-Info setting does take... 

?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did remember a while back Preview would open my files instead of Photoshop, and the problem was in Firefox's sandbox settings. I had to dial it down to 2. That's the only time I remember this happening.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/can-t-make-adobe-photoshop-cc-2018-de...

This is the workaround. It's fixed it for me and others using earlier versions of OSX:

"For a workaround, browsing to about:config and setting "security.sandbox.content.level" to 2 (instead of the current default value of 3) and then restarting your browser may work. This makes the security sandbox more permissive, but doesn't completely disable it. I haven't reproduced the problem so I can't confirm if this works around the problem or not. I've tried on 10.13 and will test on some other versions."

This has nothing to  so with the Adobe PSD problem, this is where Photoshop is removed as an association for image files in OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> For a workaround, browsing to about:config and setting "security.sandbox.content.level" to 2
>> (instead of the current default value of 3) and then restarting your browser may work.

browse where? the browser?  

restarting the browser? this has nothing to do with the browser.. 

issue is .jpg files won't open in Photoshop when I click on them in the. Finder, even though I've set it to do so by default in Get-Info.. 

THE SETTING DOESN'T TAKE, is the issue...  (and no browser has anything to do with this..)

thank you... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was happening was that the browser bug was altering the Apple system configuration file that controlled what program opened graphics files. It's an old bug, but thought it would be worth a mention. On to other suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok.. thank you...  will try that.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is Photoshop up to date to 25.6? There's a windows user with a similar issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/can-t-drop-jpg-images-into-photoshop-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines