Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot get the shading right of a key cap I am designing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have been at this for a while and cannot figure out how can I replicate this keycap design that I have. I have been playing around with Bevel&Emboss, gradeint overlay and other things that I cannot remember, but it still looks completely terrible to the reference image. Does someone have any pointers in what I can do to make it look nice, I cannot accomplish the depth, nor the lighting spot on... 

ponas_0-1711099414816.png

TOPICS
Experiment , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

You need to use two layers because Bevel & Emboss is not one of the Layer Styles we can stack

So lower layer, which is the outer bevel

image.png

Upper layer, which is the shallow inner depression.

Things to note with this:

The low value Depth which I have at 63%, and the Altitude.  Both make a big difference.

image.png

Note I have a layer mask which is the exact size of the layer.

This prevents spill from the Pillow Emboss.

I have 'Layer mask hides effect' checked in Layer Style panel.

This layer started as a s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that appearance is way too complicated to be approximated with Layer Styles on one Layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree that it's too complicated a shape for layer styles. Frankly, Illustrator's mesh gradient would be ideal for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use two layers because Bevel & Emboss is not one of the Layer Styles we can stack

So lower layer, which is the outer bevel

image.png

Upper layer, which is the shallow inner depression.

Things to note with this:

The low value Depth which I have at 63%, and the Altitude.  Both make a big difference.

image.png

Note I have a layer mask which is the exact size of the layer.

This prevents spill from the Pillow Emboss.

I have 'Layer mask hides effect' checked in Layer Style panel.

This layer started as a shape, but the outline was too sharp, so I rasterized and blurred it a touch.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: you can't save multiple layers as a layer style, but when I create something like this, I like to combine the layers as Smart Object, and save it to a Creative Cloud Library.  I mentioned rasterizing the upper layer so I could blur its outline.  I would like to have made that layer a Smart Object before adding the layer style, so I could save the combined layers to a CC Library maintaining the contents as vector objects.

[EDIT]  If you are interested in these sort of effects, you might like to follow the TextureLabs YouTube channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines