• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant Highlight Text

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So with the new update I've lost the ability to highlight text to change it. I've searched with no luck as to fix it. Anyone having this same issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 109 Replies 109
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround we found, with broken file (no highlighting!) open, create a new RGB document. Set some text, transform it. It should highlight as normal. Go back to the broken document which in our case was CMYK. Should be working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!! I tried every suggestion and this was the only thing that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found a very simple solution...

Open a new document in RGB and your text highlight and cursor will appear, even in other documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ridiculous that opening another doc in RGB is the workaround... yet, it worked!  Thanks very much for the suggestion.  Absolutely unacceptable bug from an industry giant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me but only temporarily. As soon as I quit out of Photoshop and re-launched, it was back to not highlighting the text again! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me! thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!! This IS the fix!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you after trying everything, this is the only thing that worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mehdi_can thank you this worked for me.

…………

…why? @Adobe, why?? Within one hour of the latest CC2019 this is the 5th bug i've come to these forums to fix. This is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue. I logged out of Adobe CC. Closed Photoshop. Signed back into Adobe CC. Reopened Photoshop and everything seems to be working fine again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reached out to customer support and they walked me through the fix. They also supplied me with this article. After following the steps I am back up and running properly without needing to reinstall photoshop. Hope this helps!

Optimize performance Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact problem, I am working on macOS High Sierra and in Adobe Photoshop CC 2019. I can not highlight text. Even when I double click on the text layer, it will not highlight. I followed the advice of someone on this forum and I connected with Adobe Support through their chat option. They walked me through one step, once that did not work, they came into my computer remotely and made A LOT of adjustments in the photoshop preferences. My advice is to connect to adobe chat and let them remotely fix the problem. Anything I tried on my own did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have same problem with highlight texts after update PS to 2019 (v20.0.1) MacOS Mojave 10.14.2

I'll grateful for help, thx

Transform controls disappeared too

--- EDIT ---

Now it works I dont know what happened in the morning, version still 20.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here with the new update today, very annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem - using a Mac are you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac here at work. I've tried re-setting preferences on quit, but that doesn't solve the issue. Tried to log out of CC and log back in, didn't help. Tried to uninstall and re-install Photoshop, didn't work. If I open a new file as RGB and enter some type, I can highlight it. I close the RGB file (Don't save it) and go to my CMYK file and then I can highlight the text. It will work from that point on as long as I keep Photoshop open. If I quit out of Photoshop or restart my Mac, then I'm back to square one. The only permanent solution seems to be to change the change the Drawing Mode from Advanced to Basic in the Advanced Settings of the Graphics Processor Settings in Photoshop preferences, Performance section. For me, I'll just create an RGB file and enter some type and close the file and go back to my CMYK file for now. Annoying as heck, for sure!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! This worked for me. I never had an issue until my MAC didn't shut down properly due to a failed external backup battery. What JohnnyVegas posted below worked like a charm. 

44. Re: Cant Highlight Text

JohnnyVegas70Level 1

I'm on a Mac here at work. I've tried re-setting preferences on quit, but that doesn't solve the issue. Tried to log out of CC and log back in, didn't help. Tried to uninstall and re-install Photoshop, didn't work. If I open a new file as RGB and enter some type, I can highlight it. I close the RGB file (Don't save it) and go to my CMYK file and then I can highlight the text. It will work from that point on as long as I keep Photoshop open. If I quit out of Photoshop or restart my Mac, then I'm back to square one. The only permanent solution seems to be to change the change the Drawing Mode from Advanced to Basic in the Advanced Settings of the Graphics Processor Settings in Photoshop preferences, Performance section. For me, I'll just create an RGB file and enter some type and close the file and go back to my CMYK file for now. Annoying as heck, for sure!!!

1 person found this helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new RGB file and made a text layer. I was then able to highlight again. I then went back to the file I was working on and it fixed it??? Who knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

miker21763103  wrote

I created a new RGB file and made a text layer. I was then able to highlight again. I then went back to the file I was working on and it fixed it??? Who knows.

Hi Mike,

Yes, that is the official workaround from the Adobe engineers. See the comments here:

Photoshop CC 2019: I have no text cursor/highlight, no bounding boxes, or selection edges working on...

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Turn off WYSIWYG font preview

To speed font processing in Photoshop, turn off the WYSIWYG font preview list by choosing Type

> Font Preview Size

> None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the image mode from CMYK to RGB fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open a new document as RGB and then changed it to CMYK as suggested by Johnny ans Jeremy and it worked. Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link to the workaround to this known issue

Known issues in Photoshop CC

Adobe's solution is opening an RGB document, per session. (until this is resolved)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what support told me to do (I'm on Windows 10) and it worked for me:

Edit -> Preferences -> General

Click "Reset Preferences on Quit" button

Close Photoshop

Reopen it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phu, anybody read this thread before posting?

90% of the tipps / workarounds here were given several times - in this thread.

(...and still won't work permanently / for everybody).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines