Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clone stamp source crosshair missing/not showing/disappeared

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

First post in these forums, so bear with me... And please let me know if I need to provide any further information.

When trying to use the Clone Stamp Tool, the tool itself works fine but I can no longer see the crosshair cursor indicating where I am stamping from (clone source). In the image attached I am cloning the bottle holding the cursor over the text (marked 1), so there should be a cursor/crosshair indicating where I am stamping from (marked 2). However, as you can see, there is not.

(For some reason the circle outline around where I am cloning to disappears when taking the screenshot, but please ignore that.)

In the screenshot I have selected clone source by Alt-Left Mouse Button, released Alt and I am holding the cursor over the text. As you can see, there is no crosshair cursor over the source area.

Previously, this has worked fine, i.e. I have seen the crosshair showing where I am cloning from, and moving it while moving the stamp tool. I am not 100% sure when this problem appeared, as I have been using Photoshop sporadically lately, but the problem is there nonetheless.

I have tried resetting preferences, as well as completely removing the preference file so PS recreates it, but to no avail.

I am running Photoshop CC 2019 v20.0.5 on a 32GB RAM Windows 10 laptop, Win Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Any help would be much appreciated, I have searched the forums but found very little and tried it all.

Adobe stamp source missing.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

This appears to have been fixed in the just released photoshop desktop 2020 (21.1.0) update:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the crosshair wont be seen over white, sample and paint from a dark area to see if this is indeed the case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow… Thanks Grant! I gotta say, I feel pretty damn dumb right now… You are absolutely right, the [white] crosshair does indeed show up if it is over a dark or coloured area.

Is there any way to change the color of this crosshair? It would be helpful to have it in bright green or pink or any similar colour, in order to always see it even over white areas.

Again, thanks. I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. you can submit a feature request to Adobe if you so wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that could be a bug in photoshop 20.0.5, since you actually should be able to see the Clone Stamp Crosshair on white areas.

Both mac and windows installs with photoshop 20.0.5 exhibit the same disappearing cursor on white.

Earlier photoshop versions like photoshop cc 2018 (19.1.8) from which the screenshot below was taken, display the cursor just fine on white areas.

cls.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. It also makes sense as I don’t recall having had this issue before, and if I had I would have posted here earlier.

So, is it a bug or a feature...? If it’s a bug, should the question still be regarded as answered/solved?

I will look into submitting a feature request regarding being able to change its colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's got to be bug. I can't imagine it's intentional.

Go ahead and post over at Photoshop Family Customer Community  and see what adobe says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to have been fixed in the just released photoshop desktop 2020 (21.1.0) update:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn of Use Windows Ink in your wacom settings.   You will probably lose some other functionality like pen pressure (I don't know for sure did not test).   All I know is that right now I need clone source to follow along and windows ink/photoshop interaction is what is messing it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was still having this problem of the Clone Stamp source crosshair disappearing, even with the latest PS update (22.2.0). 

I finally noticed that the source crosshair disappears if I have Hidden Selection Edges (command+H), then Deselected without first Un-Hiding selection. Toggle Show/Hide command+H fixed the problem.

Elise

PS 22.2.0; MacOS 11.2.1; Wacom Intuos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me. Without your comment I wound never have found this. This has to be a bug...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  I have the same problem!  I had to toggle several times before the cross hair showed up.  At least for now it's a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines