• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors won't display properly since update

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am processing photos in Lightroom Classic and then sending them to Photoshop 22.1.1 (2021). They look as expected in Lightroom, but they lose their color upon opening in Photoshop.

In Lightroom, my settings dictate that they send to photoshop with the Adobe RGB color space.

In Photoshop, my color settings are set to Adobe RGB. I have verified that the photo indeed has the Adobe RGB color profile applied. I have ensured that that I do not have "Proof Colors" enabled.

I opened the RAW photo using Camera Raw in Photoshop and it looks correct. Then I open it through Camera Raw into Photoshop and it goes right back to looking wrong. I've tried opening it as a smart object and it looks wrong still.

To make sure it's not Lightroom, I exported the photo as a TIFF and opened it in Luminar AI and Preview. Both applications display the photo correctly. So the problem resides in Photoshop.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. I am on a Macbook Pro with the latest OS. I am viewing on a BenQ SW321C monitor calibrated to Adobe RGB.

I am on a deadline with a time critical job. I can't figure this out. What am I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like another case of the wrong monitor profile being used in a dual display setup. It's an elusive bug that crops up every once in a while, always in a laptop + external display configuration. Desktop systems don't seem to be affected.

Read this thread. It has 24 replies, but start at the beginning:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/colors-between-camera-raw-and-photoshop-are-not-consistent/... 

At the end there's a link to a thread on the feedback forum, which is the official bug report channel. Add your voice to that to get some traction to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I chimed in to the Feedback forum. This is driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this on Macs.

My solution which generally works - make sure both applications open on the main calibrated display, I presume that’s your benQ?
So, open the Abobe app,

IF it opens on the MacBook then drag it to the benQ and quite it.

Now restart the app, it should open on the benQ this time.

Adobe applications seem to pick up the display profile from the display upon which they launch. Then it doesn’t get changed when the application window is moved to another display, that’s the bug part. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this didn't fix it. But in the process I discovered that the colors are fixed if I dragged the open Photoshop window to a different display and then back again with the file still open. The colors revert to being inaccurate if I close the file and re-open it. So I have to drag the window back and forth while editing in order to get the right colors to display. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything in this issue suggests a failure in profile handover from the operating system to the application.

Where the bug is, is harder to say. The fact that it happens in both MacOS and Windows, points to Adobe. The fact that it mostly happens with laptops (with one integrated screen), points to an OS protocol.

Or most likely, a combination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder if this is predominantly an issue on M1 chip macs and dual displays?

It seems that Apple have 'changed' the display sensing/ display description on those Macs to show displays as "unknown", internally rather than by name.  

I was speaking to the developer of basICColor display 6 software about this today and he came across the issue, for which he has had to develop a workaround. Of course it's been reported to Apple but as their "issue with LUT type ICC profiles" has been around since OSX 10.12 and much reported, maybe a fix will not happen anytime soon.  

If anyone would like to test display 6 on their mac which is showing this issue it would be great to have feedback: https://www.colourmanagement.net/products/basiccolor/basiccolor-display-software/

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines