• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the above error when working off of my xserve in photoshop. It is new in CS5 which we have recently upgraded to. Several people at my office are getting it. Sometimes it displays a random name with afp in front of it (I assume it is the temp name when photoshop is swapping out the new file for the old file.) It only seems to happen with psd and psb files. I have write access to the volume in question and it doesn't matter if I am the only one accessing the folder or not. I can save as and it seems to work; but it does delete the file.

Very frustrating. Anybody have any ideas? My IT guys are struggling with it, and one of them used to work on the Flash team as well as at Apple.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Hi everyone,

The recent Mac OS X 10.8.4 released yesterday has specifically named the following fix:

• Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

referenced from this Apple KB article. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5730

If you are still experiencing this issue, please update to 10.8.4 and then re-test in your environment. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

The KB article also mentions this fix:

• A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files mad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 492 Replies 492
New Here ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the time you've both taken to help me out. I do need the drive for both PC and Mac as I work Mac in the office and PC at home (yep crazy I know!) but hey not much I can do about that. It'a not far off full is this drive so I will format a new one for use on both machines.

Thanks again

Paula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you need to share between OS platforms, then you can format the new, larger drive as exFAT, or NTFS. If the latter, then you do need to purchase and install Paragon NTFS for Mac so it can write to the drive. There's also Tuxera NTFS, but Paragon's software is $11 cheaper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, but if you go with FAT, you will be limited in file names, rather like "old" DOS-style short names--same as most Flash/Thumb drives which often are formatted FAT.

NTFS would probably be better but needs software for OSX.

Bret Perry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not FAT, exFAT. exFAT supports long file names and very large files.

The main disadvantage of exFAT is that Microsoft themselves still haven't released an official standard for it. Most likely the reason why it's still a bit flakey in both Windows and on the Mac.

For that reason alone, and along with your recommendation, I would much more strongly suggest PaulaBeaumont use NTFS for her external drive and install Paragon NTFS on her Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh this sounds complicated - can you not just buy a HD that is already formatted for use on both a Mac and a PC? Thank you for the replies.

Paula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you not just buy a HD that is already formatted for use on both a Mac and a PC?

No. Each OS has its own proprietary file system. There is no uniform file system that works for both systems transparently.

The only way to have both on one drive is to partition the drive into two parts and format one as NTFS for Windows, and the other as HFS for the Mac. But then you'd still have the problem of the Mac not being able to write to the NTFS drive (without adding the OS X software mentioned above), and Windows would not be able to write or read the Mac partition.

Microsoft has never licensed the code for NTFS to anyone, and Apple holds an equally tight grip on HFS. The items you can install in OS X I've mentioned are reverse engineered products where the vendors figured out how to write to NTFS drives on their own.

Since Windows cannot in any way access a Mac HFS formatted drive, your best bet is to format the new external drive while attached to your Windows computer as NTFS. Then install either Paragon NTFS, or Tuxera NTFS on your Mac so it can both read and write the same drive as Windows. That's as close as you're going to get to a uniform file system. It's either that, or exFAT, which I'm not sure I would trust for saving critical work to.

Though if you'd rather do it the other way around, you can format the new drive as HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) and install MacDrive on your Windows computer. That will allow Windows to read and write a Mac formatted drive. The same people who make Paragon NTFS for Mac I linked to above, also make HFS+ for Windows; also for $20. Same thing for that title. You format the drive as HFS+ for the Mac and install HFS+ for Windows on your Windows computer so it can read and write Mac formatted drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, depending on what kind of files you have, if they're not that large, have it formatted as FAT so that you can read and write on both... The limit for FAT is 2Gb, right?

Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, depending on what kind of files you have, if they're not that large, have it formatted as FAT so that you can read and write on both... The limit for FAT is 2Gb, right?

Yes. 2 GB is the file size limit for FAT16 and FAT32 (4 GB on the same drives if you were using NT). Good source info at Microsoft. FAT16 and FAT32. FAT32 can theoretically handle an 8 TB drive, though any one partition can't be larger than 32 GB.

So FAT32 wouldn't be a terrible choice as long as no files exceeded 2 GB in size. Newer systems such as the Mac OS and later versions of Windows (7 or 8) can format a much larger drive than 32 GB as FAT32, but is very wasteful of disk space when done that way. FAT32 can still only allocate and access so many blocks, so you end up with huge block sizes on (example) a 1 TB drive. The waste comes from how all OS systems work. If when writing a file, even only 1 byte of data gets written to a block to complete a write, the rest of that block cannot be used for anything else. Multiply that by thousands of files ending their data in partially filled blocks and you end up with lots of empty, unusable disk space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow -  this is hurting my brain now!! ha ha - it doesn't take much! I'd never have a single file bigger than 2 gb - each photo file is about 20mb. So I think I have all this chaps - thanks very much! I maybe back when it's time to actually format the new ND tho!

Cheers Paula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

The recent Mac OS X 10.8.4 released yesterday has specifically named the following fix:

• Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

referenced from this Apple KB article. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5730

If you are still experiencing this issue, please update to 10.8.4 and then re-test in your environment. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

The KB article also mentions this fix:

• A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files made over NFS from displaying
  • A fix for an issue that may prevent documents from being saved to a server using SMB

In general this OS update has a number of network save fixes in it that we recommend users try out.

Thanks,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 10.8.4 update hasn't helped eliminate the problem for our setup (running CS5). I don't know all the details of our server but I do know it's an older Xserve running 10.4, hosting through afp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize that this issue is still reproducing for you under your setup. I will see if we can find an XServe server running 10.4 locally here at Adobe. That system isn't supported anymore from what I can determine so it might be challenging to reproduce this one but we will take a look. Thanks for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have replicated and cured this issue for me and would like to share what I have found. I hope that this helps someone out there. Please click to link to read my blog post on this subject.

http://blog.skynet-solutions.net/post/52968299699/photoshop-could-not-save-file-because-write-access...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks skynet-solutions. That's absolutely brilliant. You've solved it for me. I just have to remember to unselect the file in Finder and no more issues. Thanks for researching this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew when I found a solution to this particular problem many would benefit. I'm glad to know that it works for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Skynet-solutions, I employed that after seeing the post about the Preview Column solution on your blog. Although, I used that after a format to exFAT on four drives, which was the solution that worked for me. I posted that to your blog a month ago and you aknowledged it. I use both, but switch the Preview option as needed.

I don't work on a server system so I have a bit of freedom in how I deal with it. Formatting four external drives was a hassle as you can imagine. Ranging in size from 250g to 1tb. It took two days to sort, tranfer to and from all day.

Thanks for the solution, suggestion and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do keep lots of finder windows open that almost always includes the open files, but I never use column view so no preview action for me. Hopefully an impending move to a new server will clear it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone come across any other fixes for this.  I've had the same issue with a new Mavericks user and found out that it's been happening for a while for a user on Mountain Lion, this is connected to a Win 2008 R2.  On the Mavericks workstation I did ask the user to disable the preview which has resolved it, but not an ideal fix as they do use the preview option quite heavily.

Annoying to see this has been ongoing since 2011 in this thread but still doesn't appear to be any resolve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found another fix and I can confirm that it still happens in Mavericks. To be safe, I still always copy the file to my hard drive, work on it there, then copy back to the server when I'm done.

<begin rant>

As a side note, I've been an avid user of Apple and Adobe products for over two decades, and I can attest that both Adobe and Apple are arrogant companies and are as bad as the US congress when it comes to working with each other. The fact that Apple refuses to make any changes to fix this—or even acknowledge that it exists—proves that point. And just reading some of the responses from Adobe engineers in this forum shows how arrogant they are. But at least Adobe engineers read their own forum—Apple has a great user forum, but you'll never find an Apple employee answering questions there.

I don't care if it is a bug in Apple's OS, this doesn't appear in any other software that I own – it only happens in Adobe software. So if every other company out there can work around the bug, I don't know why Adobe can't.

In any case, we're all stuck with using the excellent workaround that Skynet-solutions came up with or just foregoing the use of Adobe products in the MacOS. I've chosen the latter for most of my work now. Why use expensive bloatware when smaller, more focused apps will do 90% of my work?

</end rant>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in.

As a guy who works on my own, not on a server, I consider myself fortunate that I DON'T work in a server based environment. Formatting my four drives to exFAT was a pain, but pales compared to having to drag every project to a server just to commit it everytime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kellyjdrummer3 wrote:

Formatting my four drives to exFAT was a pain

Out of curiosity, why would you do that?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It made them accessable to Photoshop. I use a Bootcamp partition on a MacBook Pro 15" Oct. 2012. exFAT is accessible to Windows and Mountain Lion. Formatting as exFAT alleviated the "write access" issue immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks for the info.  I zoned out and didn't think that you might have a Mac.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. I used Windows for 12 years. Never again unless, as I do now, on a secondary partition. I can't remember where I found the info, but I know I followed up and it worked. I restore photos as a profession and the first job I took after buying my Mac was a bit hairy. I restored the photo, then couldn't save it to where I had been saving for years from a Samsung. The deal is this, to do what I do and save all jobs locally is just asking for trouble, certainly if a Microsoft OS installed computer is a part of the equation. I have used external drives for nearly 12 years and have no thought about saving externally. When I couldn't save to the same old place, I freaked out. I had to save locally, then close everything that was looking at the photo and drag it/them to an external. I wasn't about to do this with every job I worked on, so I went looking, and either I found the resolution or figured it out on my own. I can't remember which.

In any case, formatting to exFAT then saving there allows use of Photoshop from Windows and Mavericks to the same drive, using the same photos/documents. This, of course, would probably be impossible on a server. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't want to face the task of trying it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tested some more things this morning.  I read last night on here about permissions have to have user and group but that hasn't worked.  I've tried replicating in our office this morning with Lion and Mountain Lion with CS5 saving back to our Win 2008 server which is the same as our customers.  Annoyingly it worked and no errors, just going to try some more testing with multi-layered documents, but for our customer he couldn't even do a blank psd file.

Makes it seem that there is possibly something else involved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines