• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS3 Activation Error - Adobe fix not working

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the length of this post, but I wanted to include as much detail as possible since my issue seems to be rather perplexing. I have been using Photoshop CS3 for over ten years. For over 2 years it has been on PCs with Windows 10 and for the past year on a 64 bit W10 system and running with no issues (other than a little slow). Very recently Adobe removed their servers used to authenticate the activation of the software whenever you execute Photoshop. So like others, when I open Photoshop it stated that it needs to be re-activated, which of course it cannot because the servers are not there. Adobe's fix for the issue was to provide a download of a new version of CS3 that does not require activation, but did require receiving a new serial #. Unfortunately no matter what I try, my downloaded version is still asking to be activated and I cannot get past this point. 

A little history…

The above fix works for some, but has not worked for me. Adobe Support (chat and phone) were no help at all (Dont get me started on that experience. Long story short:  the final result was, “CS3 is no longer supported, Sorry”. In another thread of this forum, which had already been marked as answered, several users tried to help (much better support than Adobe), but after numerous attempts over these past 5 days, I am still getting the popup window that I need to activate. To make matters worse, I have expired the 5 days that I could still use it without activation. Never was I provided an opportunity to enter the new serial #.

So, I thought I would start a new thread that would not marked as "Answered" in the hopes that someone might have some idea.

Basically, the steps I have taken followed the steps described in the “fix” for CS3/Acrobat8 Activation error, plus some added steps suggested by this forum.

1) Sign in and get new serial #    (Note: no matter how many times you go thru this step, you always receive the same new serial #. It must be associated with the old one.)

2) Uninstall old CS3 and reboot.

3) As suggested by this forum, run the CC cleaner as admin. First I asked to remove CS3/CS4 install. When that did not work, I re-did the steps but selected to uninstall All.    Rebooted.

4) Manually downloaded the version that does not require activation, that is, did not use the net installer routine to manage the download.

5) Extracted and installed the new download as admin. (note I was never asked for a serial # during the install). Rebooted.

6) Executed Photoshop. Results: still get the Temporary Reactivation error screen, which I now cannot get past. No option allowed the entering of the new serial #. When you select the option to reactivate by phone (which does not work because Adobe does not support it anymore), it shows the old serial #.

At this point, I am out of ideas to try.  I think I need to find where the software is keeping my old serial number and remove it, in the hopes it will then ask for my new one.  What I cannot understand is, if all remnants of any previous version have really been removed, where is it finding my old serial number. I have search my file as well as registry.  Can either assume it is in some encrypted file that is not being removed or housed at Adobe, but it does not show up anywhere on my account info.

Without a resolution, I will be looking for a new photo editor. It is a shame because I really liked Photoshop. Based upon the experience I have had with Adobe support, any new product will not be an Adobe product.

One good thing is that CS3 Bridge still works, which I use even more than Photoshop. So if all else fails, I think I can still use CS3 Bridge, but change its default from Photoshop to whatever new photo editor I buy.  Any suggestions for a non Adobe photo editor with similar functionality of CS3?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Try deleting the cache.db file from

Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Adobe/Adobe PCD/cache

like described in this thread:

CS3 - Still getting Activation Error Message with new Installer

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 activation issue-

For windows:-

Step1: First Uninstall the Cs3 from Computer.

Step 2: Delete cache from Locations: C- drive-Programme file x86:- Common files:Adobe/adobe pcd/cache folder/cache

Step 3: Run The Adobe Cleaner Tool from the below link for Windows:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Step 4: now re-download the product from the link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-suite/kb/cs3-product-downloads.html

For mac-

Step1: First Uninstall the Cs3 from Computer.

Step2: Delete cache from Go to Folder-/Library/Application Support/Adobe/adobe pcd/cache folder/cache.

Step 3: Run The Adobe Cleaner Tool from the below link for Windows:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Step 5: now redownload the product from the link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-suite/kb/cs3-product-downloads.html

The re-installation link will first prompt to sign in with adobe account>put the old serial key to get a new serial key and product will be activated with the new serial key. The new and updated download link will be there in the same page the new serial key will be received.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the solution. I had exactly the same problem. The official support couldn't solve the problem, but deleting the cache file did the trick.

You are the best, thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This page no longer exists on the Adobe website help section. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs3-product-downloads.html

It just redirects to the download page for creative cloud. 

I found a cached version. Copied and pasted below.... 

If the link above doesn't work then maybe the copied and pasted version below will. Just click the link that says sign in and it took me to a page were I still swapped out my serial number and could download the new installer. 

====================================================================================

Lost your installation media for a CS3 application? If you purchased a retail licensed CS3 product, you can download replacement installers. Or take advantage of an upgrade offer.

New serial number and installer required

The aging activation servers for Creative Suite 3 (CS3) applications had to be retired. CS3 applications use the activation servers to verify a license. 

What are my options?

Provide your current CS3 serial number for either of these options:

• Upgrade to the latest and greatest! Take advantage of this special offer to upgrade to Creative Cloud. Get the world’s best creative tools – including mobile applications, cloud-based storage, and free updates – at an amazingly low price. 
  • Receive a new serial number and installer  Get a new serial number and installer so you can reinstall CS3 applications successfully. These special versions do not require activation.
Sign in to begin

To upgrade or receive a new serial number and installer, first sign in or create an Adobe ID:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaand it looks like they took down those pages as well.  I hate adobe's practices of forcing everyone to use Creative Cloud.  I paid money for CS3 and the only reason it no longer works is because of a dumb activation server on their end, nothing to do with incompatibility issues with my OS.  I paid good money for this software and they've basically revoked my ability to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issue. I've written a nice, long rant over in the licensing forum:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/licensing/angry-cc-rant/m-p/10821680 

Adobe has turned from a profit-driven, elitist, but fair company to one that is entirely greedy and money-grubbing. Old software does not magically rot just because it has passed some arbitrary "industry standard best-by" date and it does not need any sort of "update subscription" to remain useful. Do I expect fancy updates to my old software? No. Do I expect it to still be as functional as it was the day it was purchased? Yes. It was legally bought and paid for; it is mine. I should be able to use it as I want as long as I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines