• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error - Could not save the file because the file is locked in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the whole message says " Could not save (file) because the file is locked, you do not have the necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file.  Use the "Properties" command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file.

I have Windows 10 so have looked in the properties command of File Explorer and there is no way to unlock a file.  I have also looked at the previous forums and have had no success.  I was thinking Google Drive might have something to do with this. 

I'm thinking the only thing to do is to uninstall PS and reinstall (which I don't know how to do).  Unless anyone else has a bright idea.

Thanks a lot. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

I found the answer on another thread.  It was the anti virus causing the problem.  I uninstalled Avast and now I can save.  Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi alisonj86137471,

Could you please try the steps mentioned below: -

Quit Photoshop, then press Command + Option + Shift on cold-starting Photoshop. Get the keys down quickly enough and you'll be asked to confirm deletion of your current preferences.

Also, if you're having file format problems, ensure you haven't somehow tied in plug-ins provided by Adobe for a different (e.g., older) version of Photoshop.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Command option shift is for an apple,  I don't see those keys.  I have a PC.  I tried  ctrl, alt, shift but that had no effect.

What should I do for a PC with Windows 10?

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

press and hold Shift+Ctrl+Alt (Win) / Shift+Command+Option (Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try Lockhunter. I've used it many a time to get rid of those annoying dll etc's that some software companies think we want left cluttering our hard drives with no way to remove (sans Lockhunter type programs). It'll show you what is locking it and in some cases I've had more than one culprit locking them. Hasn't failed me yet. Might be worth a try to save you having to do a re-install.

LockHunter is a free 64/32 bit tool to delete files blocked by any processes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to delete the file.  It should then tell you where you file is open.  In my case, it was my backup system running in the background.  In that case, I will shut down Carbonite while working in PS.  If I remember...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just use 'Save As' and save with a different name, then sort out the conflict later.  You can't close and restart Photoshop, because you'd lose your work! 

Sometimes it might not be obvious that the file is open, or being used in another application, so with Windows, we look at the hidden icons in the Task Bar.  The sort of situations that can lead to this is if you opened the image from and email application, and the email recognizes that it has changed.  Alt tabbing through active windows might find a 'Save Changes' dialogue'.   I have no idea how this works on Mac systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool, it worked only after changing the save location disc from "C"(system) to "D"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable your antivirus when you work on adobe ao then you can save your work easily

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

successful thanks for your advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, this worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to delete the file.  It should then tell you where you file is open.  In my case, it was my backup system running in the background.  In that case, I will shut down Carbonite while working in PS.  If I remember...  I didn't have or see the Carbonite icon as active. Potential user overlook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer on another thread.  It was the anti virus causing the problem.  I uninstalled Avast and now I can save.  Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to uninstall avast you just have to add photoshop to the whitelist in avast allowed apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! This worked!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so very much. Works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!! Thank you so much! This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't uninstalled mine but added it to Allowed Apps instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This!!! Thank youuuuuuuuu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 🙏 this worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm; just uninstalled Avast and everything works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah u just help me with that!
even in 2020 it wos a problem for me, but i just unistall the Avast and the file saved.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I have the same problem, but You think I can work without antivirus? Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines