• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error - Could not save the file because the file is locked in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the whole message says " Could not save (file) because the file is locked, you do not have the necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file.  Use the "Properties" command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file.

I have Windows 10 so have looked in the properties command of File Explorer and there is no way to unlock a file.  I have also looked at the previous forums and have had no success.  I was thinking Google Drive might have something to do with this. 

I'm thinking the only thing to do is to uninstall PS and reinstall (which I don't know how to do).  Unless anyone else has a bright idea.

Thanks a lot. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

I found the answer on another thread.  It was the anti virus causing the problem.  I uninstalled Avast and now I can save.  Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  I duplicated the file in Photoshop and saved the duplicate/s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Avast on my computer. I have a windows 7 what do I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please go to photoshop foot folder and chaneg photoshop.exe property , enable "Modify"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your antivirus, even Windows Defender, and uncheck any options that deal with folder protection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found the solution to the issue, i simply switched off my avastavast anti viruse... Then i was able to save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot - the same problem i had 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the problem turned out to be the Amazon Photos app that I have configured to automatically backup photos. Seems that as soon as it detects a new file it locks it and starts doing a backup. I use Lightroom and do the Photo> Edit In> Photoshop to create a TIF file. After the file is created, when I try to save edits I get the file locked error. Killing the app in task manager resolved the error. So this problem could probably be caused by other could backup apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the file on your drive and try to delete it. It should tell you what program has the file open.  In my case, it was Carbonite backing up my system.  I had already saved the file by a different name so was deleting the old original file.  Getting this message was a, "well, duh!" moment although Carbonite runs in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have been following all the different solutions in this thread but none of them worked for me. 

I gave read &write full disk access in security and privacy, updated the app (v23.3), uninstalled the previous version and my software is Monterey 12.3.

Any leads on what else I can try? I am trying to save on my hard drive which always worked!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

save as different file name is all you have to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your avast
Click Protection>Quarantine>

then click the bubble Setting (Upper right)

the click the Search (Upper right)

type App. (from drop down click "Blocked and allowed app"

Look for Adobe Photoshop the click remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Antivirus problem.

Mine is Avast, just go to General settings > Blocked & Allowed App > + ALLOW APP >  Add Photoshop

Problem solve, you can try 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I'm not running anti-virus on my Mac. I had to change permissions on the entire folder I was trying to save the file to. Changing permissions on just the file did not work. I changed everything to read and write for that folder and I can save now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have this error since V25. Other apps as InDesign show it too and Lightroom just crashes since the new version.

One solution is compatibility mode to run them as administrator. Disadvantage is that I can't open the adobe apps within their cloud app anymore. Not sure why. Now I'm about to change compatibility mode on all apps as the error is showing up on more and more adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines