• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Save As Copy Incorrect Folders

Contributor ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since version 22.4.0, saving files as a copy requires me to manually choose a folder to save JPEG files. It used to save in the same location where the PSD file was saved, but no longer does. This is awful in that it causes me a lot of unnecessary extra time to navigate to the folder I was already using for saving PSD files. Please fix this.

Secondly, why is it necessary to add the word "copy" to the filename. I have to remove it for every JPEG file I save. If people really want that feature, then please provide a preference variable where the base filename is not changed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. This adds an unneccessary step that nobody asked for. I never understand why Adobe makes significant changes to basic tasks - like saving a jpeg. And then of course, developers will just blame it on the OS without actually finding a viable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Clint5FC6 When an operating system removes APIs the application developers have no choice but to change and work with the new APIs.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the folders, I'm not seeing that here in 22.4 on Windows 10

If I open a PSD then Save a Copy takes me to the same folder

If I open a PSD and Save the PSD in a different folder, then Save a Copy takes me to the same folder where I just saved the PSD

On the "copy" issue, If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System since Catalina which were well reported in these forums.  Adobe had no choice but to make the changes. However, the changes in Apple's operating system also meant that the word copy could no longer be added optionally in the save processes, it has to be added before entering those APIs. So, all Save a Copy files have "copy" added. In theory Windows versions did not need to change but alignment between the two operating system versions has been a long standing principle in order that actions and plug ins will work. So, Windows users have the same change.
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Davescrm, et. al.

I use a Windows 10 PC and here is how to reproduce the folder problem. I start from Bridge. I go to a folder, open a raw file and tweak it with Camera Raw. When done, I open the file from Camera Raw into Photoshop. I work on the image and save it (as a PSD). Then, I change mode to 8 bits and choose Save As Copy, remove the "copy" in the default filename and save as JPEG. The correct folder is selected. Then, using Bridge, I navigate to a different folder and open an existing PSD file, work on the file, change mode to 8 bits and choose Save As Copy. (I do not resave the PSD file because I did not make changes to it.) Now the folder showni is the previous folder, not the folder where the PSD file resides. Apparently, folder information is not being passed to Photoshop from Bridge to be used for Save As Copy operations.

Regarding Photoshop adding "copy" to the filename, this is simple to code. Photoshop already knows whether it is running on a Mac or a PC. For example, preferences on a Mac are found under the Apple icon and on a PC they are located in the edit menu. It should be a very simple thing to add a preference to "Do Not Add 'copy' to Save As Copy". If Macs really need the "copy" term, the preference item can be grayed for Macs (with note only available on a PC) and ungrayed on PC's. I appreciate Adobe's effort to keep most features the same on Macs and PCs, but there are a few simple things that would aid the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines