• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts always start at beginning when cycling through fonts

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is kind of hard to explain but when I have a text layer selected and then i try to cycle through the fonts in the list to see which one I like, I use the arrow keys up and down to go through them. However it keeps restarting at the top of the list whenever I do this. If I started in the S's for fonts and tried to cycle, it would cycle back to the A's again and start over. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us more details? Which version of Photoshop and which OS? Steps that are taken to cycle through fonts.

I am trying to reproduce in Photoshop CC 2019 on Win using this method: expand font list then navigate to some font in the middle, hover over font to see preview then continue using keyboard and everything works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure no problem, I'm using windows 10 photoshop CC 2018. I can open the font list and hover over the fonts and they switch but I'm talking about clicking on a type layer and then clicking on the type tool. Then I click on the font name and highlight it, and then use the arrow down key to start scrolling through fonts. This way I don't have the font preview dropdown open distracting me and I can see the font switch as I arrow down. This is when if I select a font in the middle of the stack, like a font that starts with S, if I select that font and then use arrow down, it will jump back to the top where the A's start again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see any difference between single click to highlight active font versus multiple clicks to do the same job? It seems that everything works fine with single click to highlight font. I am on Win 10 with the latest and greatest Photoshop. The only thing that I could reproduce is that Photoshop start cycling from the top most listed or recently used fonts when multiple clicking in text field with active font to select it That's the only thing that I found checking and trying to reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by single click vs multiple clicks on the active font? Did you try just selecting the text layer, highlighting the font name so you can arrow down through them? The font preview window should be closed when this happens so you're just clicking on the text layer, highlighting the name of the font, then hitting arrow down. It will skip back to the top after doing a number of arrow downs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to change font using keyboard you must select, actually highlight font name in the options bar right? When you click on Type layer to select it in the Layers panel it will not automatically select/highlight font name in most scenarios. The next step is to highlight font name to be able to cycle through installed fonts. That's where I found inconsistency: when I use single click to highlight font name it never jumps to beginning of the list or recently used fonts while when using multiple clicks or drag to highlight inside text box with the active font name it can start cycling from the recently used fonts.

My conclusion is that there is some problem although it is difficult to catch it because it is not rule and sometimes it acts as you have described.

select font to change it using keyboard.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found what are you referring: after selecting type layer you are using drop-down list to select some font, right? It becomes top most recently used font. Then you highlight font name and trying to cycle through fonts using keyboard. And yes it will start from last used font or from the top. Is that your problem?

Do you know that you can use font list from the Character and Properties panel. It may solve your problem by the way, because you can have expanded font list without covering your canvas and you can cycle through installed fonts using mouse hover or using keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup I select the type layer and then I'm using the top toolbar where it says the font name, not the character panel. That's when you highlight the font name but don't open the dropdown, and then using the arrow keys try to move through the fonts but then it keeps jumping back to the top. I'll try it in the character panel but I like using the top toolbar because it's always there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be working as it should with the character panel though which means this is a bug in Photoshop with the top toolbar and selecting fonts. I'll have to submit it in the bugs report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure that by now you've probably come across a solution to this, but I'm having the same issue in the lastest version of CC. A solution is to turn off Recent fonts by setting the number to 0 under preferences.

Edit -> Preferences -> Type -> Number of recent fonts to display [set to 0]

Restart Photoshop and that should fix it. It is odd that you can't seem to have the one feature and not the other, but personally I find the ability to carry on scrolling through fronts from where I left off much more useful than reverting me to the top of the font list, and showing the most recently selected fonts. Would be great if we could have both though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 🙏🏻

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me -- I agree having both would be helpful, but not losing my place in the font list is higher priority for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Best solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This has been driving me bonkers. This worked 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines