Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

gif animation frame number limit?

Engaged ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have created a 35 second (25fps) line animation within AE.

Since AE does not export gifs anymore, I exported as QT movie & opened the QT in PS and saved for web as Gif animation.

In the save for web dialogue it said "frames 500 of 500" and when it exported the animated Gif it had truncated the length of the animation (as the total length is 875 frames).

Within PS the animation appears till the end.

I played around with frame rates etc, brought it down to 15fps but it would just extend the duration and not be able to get all of the movie exported.

Btw the 500 frames animation created an 85kb gif

I tried using AME to encode to Gif animation, but the filesize was huge at 20MB, which negated the point foe Gif.

So is there a 500 frame limitation to exporting gif animations from within Photoshop?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2011 Feb 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be that this limitation of previous PS versions was forgotten to be updated... don't think there is any solution to your problem from withing PS and you will have to find anotehr GIF creation tool that can read image sequences or MOVs....

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!

also tried mpeg streamclip, does not have Gif option.

Which was the last version AE offered gif animation exports?

This takes me  years back when using that application for this kind of stuff, was it debabilizer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

evan.fotis wrote:

...Btw the 500 frames animation created an 85kb gif...

What are the pixel dimensions? Such a small file size for 500 frames seems very very odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know.. it does play perfectly btw.. This is just a line drawing, no colours etc.

The thing is I cannot recreate it either lol..

Tried again to export same QT but only the last part from within shotophop so I could perhaps stitch them together somehow, and 375 frames gave a 3.11 MB gif...

Dimensions are XGA (1024x768) and the output medium will be a ... ppt, which has to be self contained (so no big avi or wmv allowed) and small to travel through email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rerendered from within AE this time at 15fps so the whole thing would fit. Its a bit jerkier and not as smooth as before but message gets through.

Saving for web in PS Gif options, I reduced colours to selective 8 with No Dither.

When I have transparency checked filesize estimate is 2.2MB.

When I Uncheck transparency, filesize goes up... to 10.6 MB.

Naturally I chose the first even though I do not need transparency.

just a note: through mpeg streamclip I get a 577 kb mp4 file. Now how to get it into ppt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, we found the 500 frame limit in the Photoshop code.

Basically, SaveForWeb doesn't handle a large number of animation frames well, and needs additional work to handle large animations in GIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you actually considering raising the frame limit to allow/encourage reckless abuse of the GIF format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on, there are valid uses for animated GIF in this world:  http://www.gifbin.com/random   (er, maybe I should rethink that)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems valid enough to me, insofar as Adobe has a prominent ad across the top.  That would *technically* make your post sort of spam-like, Chris.

Seriously, thanks for that link - it made me smile.

But they were all pretty short. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines