Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand tool (spacebar) isn't working [2016]

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I got creative cloud with Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign etc.

But my hand tool shortcut with the spacebar isn't working

the hand does appear but when I try to move it gives no reaction

With the shortcut H it works.

I have already reinstalled everything, reset all my tools and reset my warning dialogs.

With my drawing tablet the shortcut also did work, until this morning. It stopped working.

Hope that someone got the answer for me this is pretty annoying I use the hand tool a lot.

Kind regards

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Are you saying that the hand tool space bar shortcut has stopped working for all the Adobe apps you mentioned, or just Photoshop?  If you are using a Mac, and have a Wacom tablet, then you should probably rule out the White Window fix.  We have certainly had posts where systems only had one or two of the symptoms associated with the issue, and the White Window plug-in fixed it.

Menus, shortcuts, Lasso tool, or Photoshop stop working when using a Wacom tablet | Mac OS

My gut feeling is that it is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 155 Replies 155
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been suffering with this issue on my ThinkPad: with the spacebar, the hand appears, but I can't pan the view. On my work HP the problem doesn't occur. After now reading about the "press V or A" workaround, I started trying out other things and found another workaround that's maybe better: just tap Alt. That is: press spacebar; hand appears; while keeping spacebar down, tap Alt once; now panning works.

I wish they could just fix this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When You hold Spacebar, just hit one time the (Alt) Key it's next to your spacebar, and the hand-tool works fine.

Also the Issue is from your laptop Touch Pad Setting, that makes it not working.

Love you all!

Fawad Ahadi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't beleive this is still a problem. I am also having this issue and I've tried all the tips since 2016 on this forum and nothing has worked. I'm working on Adobe CC on a Macbook Pro, MacOS Monterey. Can't get spacebar to pan as hand tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not agree more, it is absolutley incredible, that this is still a problem all these years later. 

I cannot belive they have a "correct answer"!! What a joke.

I don't have 1password or a Wacom tablet.. NONE of the supposed "answers" here work for me, or work for anyone in the department we work in. It is widespread and should be fixed.

The only thing that works for me is sometimes after a complete restart, not quitting and re-launching, but a restart, will temporarily fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had problem for many years. Add Fn button and it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Working on a company M1 Mac and this just started happening for me out of the blue. I force quit the cyber security app thats installed as a standard on all company computers and the spacebar shortcut started working again. This is the wildest fix I've come across yet. Gonna be scratching my head about this one for a while.. haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines