• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEIF / .HEIC File Support in Photoshop [2017]

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea when we will be seeing support in Photoshop to handle Apple's new iOS format for pictures? The HEIF, specifically the .heic image format?

Thank you in advance,

~Scott

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Photoshop added HEIC support on Windows this morning (version 22.1), relying on the operating system's codecs for this format:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html#HEIFHEIC

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ps-heic-codec.html

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Store as

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 120 Replies 120
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not publicize their plans they may have for their products.You could ask on their feedback site.  However, I would not expect that you to get a reply from Adobe here in a user forum or on their feedback site.  You could also as Apple to write a Plug-in for Photoshop to handle their file format.  How do you even access IOS files.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use: 
iMobie HEIC Converter 
Batch Convert HEIC Photos Rapidly without Compromising Quality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First a little correction - it's not Apple's image format. The formats of HEIF and HEVC were developed by MPEG (Moving Pictures Experts Group), similar to JPEG that developed the JPG format.

Right now there is no way to export a .heic file from the Mac OS Photos app for photos that were uploaded to iCloud from the iOS 11 devices (only standard image formats are offered). Sending a heic file via airdrop from iOS 11 device to a mac also results in a standard file type (jpg) being received.

Moving from one lossy filetype to another irks me so hopefully, as more apps offer support for it, Apple will allow the heic files to be exported from iOS devices and the MacOS Photos library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox allows you with the iOS app to select if you want to transfer it in JPEG or HEIC file format. Anyhow now it's not supported by the adobe apps, so you will have to continue using the usual JPEG until they release an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you plug in the iPhone and use Image Capture, it will copy the .HEIC files to the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too hope that HEIC support arrives soon. Time the antediluvian lossy and artefact ridden JPEG was consigned to the dustbin of history. Of course we will then need to have an app to trawl through all our images and convert them to HEIC. I just hope that HEIC has been optimised for performance not for compression size. Storage is cheap other than on iPhones. Apple could have really wowed the world by adding a micro-SD storage slot (waterproof of course) to their iPhone 8 or X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See here: Photoshop/Lightroom: HEIF support for iOS 11 | Photoshop Family Customer Community

There is no reason to convert existing JPEG files to a new lossy format. It will also take a long time to get all your applications reading the new format. you need to be patient, not only with Adobe.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you do a redirection via Facebook with your link? I'm not quite sure that you should use this link, except if you have a logic explanation for all your downloads on thet site: Photoshop CS3 lite (does not exist as a product), Windows 7 lite (does not exist as a product), Microsoft Office 2003 lite...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been a huge gap in the market for a long time for a good file format with >8bpc, good compression efficiency and lossless support.

Unfortunately JPEG XR failed to take off because Adobe did not support it. HEIF is potentially even better as it is based on H.265 so will benefit from hardware decoding and is easier to implement as it can use reuse existing encoding and decoding technology to a large extent.

Since Apple is promoting it, Adobe will have to support it, and from there it can easily take over from TIFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some assumptions, that I would like to comment:

• Could you please tell me the source of your statement that HEIF is based on H.256?
  • It does seam to me, that not Adobe failed JPEG XR, but the camera manufacturer. If they would have supported the format, you can be sure that Adobe would have been there to support it too. Apple is a camera manufacturer in this sense.
  • the tradeof of a better compression is mostly increased processor load. Therefore, you have compression techniques lifting of, when the time is right, as it was the case with mpeg. I had once a mpeg hardware decoder in a pc, just for being able to play mpeg 1 videos.

I‘m sure that the HEIF technology will be a success, as Apple puts its power beheind. But not all, what is promoted by Apple becomes a success. Think only of the lightning connector. Who else uses it?

As I see Adobe, Adobe creates standards (DNG, TIFF) and follows them. But as a company you need to have a sustainable buisness behind. Adobe will for sure implement a reader able to work with the Apple image file formats. But first let Adobe do its homework with Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watch this to find out everything you need to know about HEVC and HEIF: Introducing HEIF and HEVC - WWDC 2017 - Videos - Apple Developer

I'm not so sure on what the next sustainable codec will be - just like when HTML 5 came out and there was an arms race in terms of browser/codecs, there is potentially another arms race to create the next gen video codec all over again. An alliance between pretty much every other technology company apart from Apple has formed to deliver a potential rival to HEVC: Alliance for Open Media - About Us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo​

• High Efficiency Image File Format - Wikipedia : "The HEIF specification also defines the means of storing HEVC-encoded intra images"​ (HEVC = H265)
  • Yes but getting cameras to adopt JPEG XR instead of RAW (little benefit) or JPEG (huge network effects) is very hard, while replacing TIFF for photographers is easy - clear benefit and no need for other people to use to make it beneficial for you to use, as long as there is software support.
  • All modern processors (last 2+years) have HEVC decoders. Encoding is still hard, but photos are much easier than videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, this is my online tool help to convert ios 11 photo in format heic to jpg. Feel free to let me know if you have any comments or feedback, thank you! I just wanna share with you all my product, could you possibly dont thinking me is spamer or just ask me I will delete my comment, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your converter tool works great. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!
Works great! The only improvement i can think of is to make higher than 15 files as maximum at a time.
/Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converters are fine but native support would be best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

khoat47558960  wrote

Hey guys, this is my online tool to convert ios 11 photo in format heic to jpg. Feel free to let me know if you have any comments or feedback, thank you! : How to Convert HEIC to JPG Online Free

Doesn't look like there's anything out there yet, but this guy is trying to be the first. It is one my favorite tools now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, khoat47558960!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows and Photoshop should be supporting this; just as Adobe supports each camera (Canon, Nikon, etc's) propitiatory RAW formats, they should support this as well. As much income as they are raking in with the subscription service they should be able to put some funds towards this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see what the next upgrade of Camera Raw offers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope Adobe will add support to it soon. Now you can handle this issue by transferring the files to Dropbox or directly using a free HEIC converter on PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Lightroom Classic CC doesn't support it yet, but I can open HEIC files in Photoshop CC 2018 now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes, HEIF support is included in the Photoshop update released today. New features summary | October 2017 release of Photoshop CC

• Photoshop now supports Apple's High Efficiency Image Format (HEIF). Photoshop can read depth maps in HEIF image files created by iPhone 7 Plus and later devices into a channel. You can then create a depth-of-field effect in the image using Filter > Blur > Lens Blur.

Note that channel data needs adjustment to work well in the filter. The format import is also only available on macOS 10.13.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines