• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i Install a plugin into Photoshop CS6 Extended?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I am new to Photoshop and was wondering if you could help me with this. I am trying to install a plugin so I can generate Normal Maps from textures. However I put the files into the folders that I am told to in numerous tutorials that I have tried and the plugins are not showing up in my filters menu. For this I am using the 32 bit version of photoshop because a tutorial said thats the best version to use.

- "NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop" is the name of the plugin and it includes my version of photoshop

- I have both 32 and 64 bit versions of Photoshop CS6 Extended (Tell me which is best to use please)

- I have tried the preferences-plugins "Show all filter gallery groups and names"

- I have also checked the "Additional plugins folder" and directed to the plugins folder (C:\program files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Plugins\Plugins\)

- The Plugin Folders ("File Formats" Folder and "Filters" Folder) I have also copied into the above directory folder

I have also restarted my computer as well as photoshop itself and its still not working so any help would be greatly appreciated, I have been trying for 2 hours.

My kind regards and thanks in advance,

O2brownm

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

O2brownm  wrote

how do i attach pictures to my posts?

This should explain all about capturing and inserting screenshots in your forum posts.

FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello O2brownm,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Photoshop.

The Photoshop version you should use depends on the plug-in you are using. Some plug-ins are 32 bit, some are 64 bit, some exist in both flavours. If you have the choice, use 64 bit. It is able to work with more complex pictures and can address more memory.

Plug-ins often come with an installer who puts the correct files in the correct directories. If not, there is the plug-in directory where plug-ins are installed. For 64 bit, the directory is here:

Plug-ins have a special extension .8bf. They hook into Photoshop and extend the Ps possibilities.

For all of you plug-in questions look first here:

I would recommend reading this: FAQ: How do I install my favorite plugins to Photoshop CS6?

If you still have unanswered questions, feel free to return here.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Abambo,

I greatly appreciate your help, it looks like it could be a compatibility issue with the plug-in as i checked your picture and my plugin is in the right place so at least i know thats correct now, i also tried both 32 and 64 bit but i shall now stick to 64 bit so thank you for that.

Do you know of a good and compatible plugin to use for generating Normal Maps? Either paid or unpaid plugins?

Once again thank you for your help and i look forward to your reply

O2brownm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Plug-in should be compatible as of the description on the Nvidia web site. NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop | NVIDIA Developer . And it comes with a nice installer. As per description in the Nvidia doc, you need to look here for the filter:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abambo,

I would like to show you pictures of my screen but not sure how to attach pictures on this thread. Im sorry im as green as grass, im doing everything as it says it should be done and i am still not getting the plugin to appear, if you could tell me how to attach pictures then i will show you myfile directory and photoshop filter menu.

Again thank you for your help and patience,

O2brownm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Abambo,

Sorry my mistake, i forgot to unpin 32 bit version from task bar so was opening wrong version, my apologies but while im here if i need to create a thread for something else in future (which im sure i will) how do i attach pictures to my posts?

Thanks again it is GREATLY appreciated,

O2brownm:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are always welcome to post here.

You can copy paste images or you can use the image icon here above. The only restriction is to use the web interface. Reply via mail does not attach pictures. Other elements are not possible. To share a file you need to post a link to dropbox or similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

O2brownm  wrote

how do i attach pictures to my posts?

This should explain all about capturing and inserting screenshots in your forum posts.

FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines