• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I keep a very large, 300ppi image under 20MB?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks in advance for your help.

I have to print an image of 10800  ×  7200 pixels at 300 ppi, 8 Bits. The file size is 88MB and I need to lower it to 20 MB or less. This is based on the fact that I was given another image with the same characteristcs which is only 17 MB and I was requested to replicate the same weight. 

Do you have an idea of how this is done? Do you have your way to maintain such resolution and pixel count whilst keep the MB low?

Any input is highly valued 🙂 Cheers! 

Best, 

Delia

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

@delias20027726 

You didn't say if your file (or the other file) has layers, alpha channels paths, et cetera. If so, make a copy first to preserve your file, then flatten the copy and delete any paths and saved selections (alpha channels). Does that make a difference?

EDIT: 7 seconds behind Chuck.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the file types of the two files? If you're just printing, you can save a copy as a jpg to lower the file size. Just make sure you save the original. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck, thanks for your thoughts on this. @jane-e  was right, I wasn't flattening the image before saving it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@delias20027726 

You didn't say if your file (or the other file) has layers, alpha channels paths, et cetera. If so, make a copy first to preserve your file, then flatten the copy and delete any paths and saved selections (alpha channels). Does that make a difference?

EDIT: 7 seconds behind Chuck.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane!

I was doing everything right EXCEPT for one thing — I didn't flatten the image at the end of the process! I would merge all layers without flattening, which makes a huge difference.

Thanks for your thoughts on this and for solving this! 

Best, 

Delia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome @delias20027726 , I'm glad this worked for you. Remember to save the layered file for future edits.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines