• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I set up photoshop to work with a touch screen?

Participant ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just bought a 15.6" Asus Q500A touchscreen laptop with Windows 8. I downloaded photoshop and the 'touch app plug-ins' through the Adobe Application Manager for creative cloud. When I open a file in PS and select the brush(or any other) tool if I use the touch screen to drag it accross the canvas nothing happens. It still works with my mouse though.

How can I get this to work properly?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

The touch apps plug-ins are used to allow the communication between Photoshop and the Touch applications that work on an ipad: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-touch/faq.html#cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, but that doesn't answer my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry; I had to take care of the kids for a minute, I meant that the Touch apps plug-ins are of no use.

Can you move the cursor with your fingers in other applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That depends on what you mean by move the cursor. The cursor is not visible when using the touch screen but reappears when you go back to the mouse. But you are able to do everything the mouse does, such as click, drag, right click, etc..

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

I've been playing around with it to try and find a solution and have found that the brush tool will draw only if I drag it in from outside the canvas. Otherwise it just has a weird panning effect when zoomed in or does nothing zoomed completely out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated all drivers through 'Windows Update'. Still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe is the touch ability limited to pinch to zoom and panning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how this would be the case, as It works fine in ms paint and Adobe Illustrator(Just installed and tested this). It seems to be only Photoshop that has an issue. Plus, it still draws when it is started outside of the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, so Photoshop is not compatible with touch screens. Huge oversight on Adobe's part in my opinion. Oh well, hopefully they will figure it out in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Photoshop requires a particular API to be used. Microsoft ink API is not supported by Photoshop.  Microsoft surface pro has new drivers from Wacom that should work with the surface and other pc with windows and some hardware touch support. You need to chect with Asus to see what hardware they use. here the link to the Wacom Drivers. http://www.wacom.com/support/drivers

http://www.wacom.com/support/driverswacomtablet.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will look into it. Although Adobe customer service are the ones who told me that Photoshop doesn't support touch screens.

What harware am I looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Customer Support is very poor.  Photoshop requires device driver that use WinTab API for pen support Adobe will not support dirvers that use Microsoft Ink API for pen support. Adobe states Ink API lack options used by  Photoshop.

The image I posted shows Wacom feel IT technologies or Wacom Pen based technologies.

I also found this link http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/56782-new-wacom-feel-driver-aka-wintab.html that list some tablets do not know if this list lists all tablets with the correct hardware. I did see one Asus tablet listed.

Lenovo X-61 Tablet - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb ram

Gateway C-120X - 1.06 ghz, 2 gb ram (dead)

Hp TC1100 - 1.1 ghz, 1.5 gb ram

Ls800 - 1.2 ghz, 2 gb ram

Eee PC T-91, 1.3 ghz, 2 gb ram

Ipad 16gb Wi-FI (it does count as a tablet)

HP Slate 500 - 1.86 ghz, 2 gb ram

Asus Ep121 - 1.33 ghz, 4gb ram

Samsung Series 7 Slate - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb of ram

Also found this link http://bamboostylus.wacom.com/compatibility/

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using a tablet though. Will these work for a device that is not a tablet? Also, what device are these drivers for? Graphics card? The screen itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the links I gave you.  The driver is for Windows 7 and Windows 8.  Why are you concerned with the Graphics Card.  The driver is for the  pen and touch hardware not Video hardware chipset. Also try searching the web for more information.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not concerned with the graphics card...

I have been searching for close to two weeks and I continue to search. I have not found anything related to installing tablet drivers on a laptop.

I did read through the links you posted and I don't see any mention of laptop compatibility.

I guess the only thing to do is install the latest driver and see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell the drivers you linked to are only for tablets. I have found no way to install them on a laptop. I tried installing the latest wacom driver for windows 8 but it would not install through the downloadable exe and I can't find any other way to install it. I think you might be confusing this issue with one involving the Adobe Touch apps.

If there's something I'm missing please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, I think I'm going to have to give up and just wait for Adobe to get their act together. Hopefully one of these days I'll get an update that unlocks the vast benefits of a touch screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

on my lenovo yoga convertible ms paint can do 10 brush strokes at the very same time while photoshop does nothing with touch.

Oh well..  sure a touch screen is nothing like an art tablet thus lacking precision, pressure sensitivity etc.

But hey, pinch zoom, rotate, and all this up to 10 touch events simultaneously stuff must hold some useful implementations, right?!

Photoshop Touch -  this time for real as in touch with the full desktop app? yeah, signed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2014 Feb 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this isn't the single biggest JDI (JUst Do It) improvement needed I don't know what is!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lyrgh wrote:

Oh well..  sure a touch screen is nothing like an art tablet thus lacking precision, pressure sensitivity etc.

ISTM that it comes down to skill at the end of the day, rather than owning a 24 inch Cintiq Touch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

285,000 brush stroked 5 man weeks of labor miss labeled finger painting timelaps down to  3 minuets 42 seconds quick and easy not.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here with Photoshop CC and a Dell Precision M3800.

It works right on Ms Pain, Lightroom 5.3... but not in PS CC.

Any ideas? Solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2014 Apr 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What issues do you have.  Photoshop does not have touch support programmed in. However Touch drivers often have touch features the can be configured to generate Photoshop Supported events like keyboard keys and others.  Have you look at the Touch Support Dell provides for your laptop and how to configure it for applications.. 

If your Dell has the 15.5  3200x1800 display Photoshop UI must be hard to see. Attaching an external display may help you see Photoshop pallets better.  Just position the pallets on the external display. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2014 Apr 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JJMack, thank you for your reply.

I have this issue (I quote HLCarleton😞

I've been playing around with it to try and find a solution and have found that the brush tool will draw only if I drag it in from outside the canvas. Otherwise it just has a weird panning effect when zoomed in or does nothing zoomed completely out.

So my problem is I cannot paint using the touch screen on Photoshop CC [14.2.1 (14.2.1 20140207.r.570 2014/02/07:23:00:00) x64].

I only can paint if I start touching outside the picture canvas and then entering the canvas.

Here is a video: https://plus.google.com/109829288088852970215/posts/j26Ce5LPByt

The strange thing is on "Lightroom 5.4" I can use the touch screen to set and paint a "Adjustment Brush".

Also I can use the touch screen to paint on "Microsoft Paint" and in "Fresh Paint" as well.

Regarding the "3200x1800 display", yes... it´s hard to see, but that's another problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines