• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to add a border around a selected area?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I'm using photoshop to create files in which my artwork is displayed in stock images... in other words I buy stock images of living rooms and create images in which my paintings are then added to the stock image via photoshop. I'm good with adding shadows in order to make the paintings look more at home in the stock images but I can't figure out how to add a border / frame to my paintings. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!! thanks so much

Michelle

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Hi

Basic is : Double click your image layer > Enable Stroke > Specify Settings (If you're looking at a solid color border).

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Basic is : Double click your image layer > Enable Stroke > Specify Settings (If you're looking at a solid color border).

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you create your frame or border on a separate Layer so you can easily return to it and make changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you know how to create a shadow, a solid border is just as easy. In the layer effects is stroke. Just add that instead of a shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2016 Aug 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I notice in PS CC2015 – not sure if it's in earlier versions of Photoshop as I never use it – Filter > Render > Picture Frame. It gives you a wide selection of frames and shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picture frame was introduced a few versions ago. But is still after CS6 (creative cloud). If I recall picture frame like trees and flames require the GPU to render. I could be wrong, but that is my thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks soo much guys, all of you, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to help me, I got it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mishy99 wrote:

Thanks soo much guys, all of you, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to help me, I got it!!

You're welcome for my part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, this helped me to at my banner on this shop site Kletterausrüstung kaufen im VerticalExtreme Klettershop

Greetings!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much Michael!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm more or less a newbie to web design and I'm having the same problems, can't put a border around my image.

I'm working in both the current versions of Photoshop and Dreamweaver but can't find "Enable Stroke" anywhere, either in Dreamweaver or Photoshop?

Commands in Dreamweaver doesn't give me any options, even though a pop up box appears, there's nothing in it to edit?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm also like another poster, if you use abbreviations, I'm not likely to know what your talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've somehow stumbled my way in finding how to do it.

How though, I'm not sure I can remember!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at the Photoshop Frame Actions presets, which you can modify to suit your requirements.

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 18.21.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Derek, for your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An old-school way do do this is have an active selection, and Edit > Stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah and save it as a Style

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 11.40.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek, that's exactly what I've done, as per your image. But decided not to go with pink, it doesn't suit me 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah pink is a bit much!

Glad to have helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for your reply I muddled my way and used the action in Derek's post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way to add order use the stroke command . 'Edit' menu, under 'Stroke'. select the option, dialog box you can specify the width of the stroke as well as colour 

DRPU Bluk SMS Software by http://www.sendgroupsms.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open pictures ans create a Solid layer from the Fill/adjustment layer button and then choose color of border, invert mask .Choose brush for border and create border and save the file.

DRPU Barcode Maker Software by https://www.barcodemaker.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm more or less a newbie to web design and I'm having the same problems, can't put a border around my image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Firstly unlock the Background layer and click on the Canvas Size dialog box then add more Canvas around the Object.

click the New fill or Adjustment layer icon and choose the color you want for your border then drag the fill layer below the Object.

DRPU Trade Label Software by https://www.tradelabelsoftware.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines