Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to cut out photos [PIRATED SOFTWARE — LOCKED BY MODERATOR]

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have more than a hundred old black and white photos that was scanned in jpg. They have all an white border that I want to cut out. Is there a way to computerize these photos in batch with Photoshop CC (2017 version on Windows 10) to cut out their border, which are all different widths. You can see two examples I have included here.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Let us be clear :

CS versions were sold with perpetual licenses. The last CS version was CS6

CC versions are all subscription only. Be that CC, CC 2014, 2015 .....etc ALL CC versions are subscription only and the subscription gives you access to the current versions. If you are using a "perpetual version" of CC then it is a hacked, pirated copy and as such illegal.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved it like you said and I found the script in the Scripts menu. But when I click on the name of the script in the Scripts menu, it runs until an error windows open with this message:

Error 8800: A general error of Photoshop occurs. This function is maybe not available in this Photoshop version.
Line: 149
- The command "<indefinite> is not available.
-> executeAction(s2t('cafWorkspace'), d, DialogModes.NO);
I have Photoshop 2017 and Photoshop Elements 2021.installed.

Is my photoshop version too old?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes too old, it uses contentAwareFill, but don't worry it's just simple addition. You may still use the first version of script where it was not implemented. Do it and it should work 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's weird because, like you can see on the screenshot include here, Photoshop 2017 has an option named "Content aware" ("Contenu pris en compte" in the french Photoshop version).

Anyway, I use the first version of the script and got no error this time. But like you can see on the screenshot compared to the original photo, not only the white borders were cut out, but a part of the photo `too. Do I have to change something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are different functions - content aware crop complements the image if the crop frame is larger. I am using a content aware fill that fills arbitrary areas of the image.

Try @r-bin script anyway (How to cut out photos), it uses the undocumented features of the CropAndStraighten plugin and does a much better job of defining photo borders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the @r-bin script like you suggest, and it works well for many photos. Some photos like the one included here are too crooped, but I can work manually for them.

I want to thank you jazz-y for your precious help, as well as the suggestions of others here that gave me a good helping hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you appreciate their work for you, mark appropriate posts with codes as correct solutions 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the @r-bin script uses additional selection to better remove the border. Therefore, images that are not framed on one side may not be cropped correctly. You can find such images in advance, put them in a separate folder and then run the script again by removing or commenting first line with two slashes

//crop(true);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option you shows is not the same. The one used in latter verison of script uses Content Aware Fill Workspace that wasn't available yet in 2017 release. Can't you upgrade Photoshop?

The new image you tried the script on, shows probably some of its values should be adjusted. Unfortunately like jazz-y noticed it may not work for all kind of your scans too altogether in the same manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know that there has a more advanced Content Aware function. I could upgrade Photoshop. But I stay actually with the latest paid version of Photoshop CC, budget question.

I think also that I will have to adjust some values using the script of  jazz-y for some photos. But the scrip work for many photos.

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you subscribed to Creative Cloud for Ps, then the last paid version is always the most recent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, but I have to subscribe monthly or annualy to Creative Cloud for that. Isn't?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your previous post I understand you use CC. If so you are allowed to upgrade your Photoshop to the most recent release within annual subscription, you pay monthly for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It's just than I am not ready for now to subscribe to get the latest
version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loll it seems you completely don't understand me 🙂

I mean if you have Photoshop subscription you do not have to pay any extra money to get latest release. So if you have now 2017 version, you can easily upgrade it to 2021 with no cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not everyone can update for 2021. Me, for example. And here it is not only because of the version of Windows, but also because of the hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's true. If an user doesn't have Win 10 or has bad hardware then I don't recommend it, but it seems he's not aware he can make upgrade without paying for it if he has subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Photoshop subscription. I bought my Ps CC 2017 on the internet site of Software Deal. And like r-bin wrote, sometimes it's a problem related to the obsolescence of the operating system or the hardware. Me, I have Windows 10, but I bought my laptop in 2014. The hardware doesn't meet all requirements to run Ps CC 2017, but in crossing my fingers, it works. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was sure if you have CC, you have Creative Cloud account, but if not then Okay 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have a free Creative Cloud account. Like you can see on the capture here, Creative Cloud suggest me an upgrade of Photoshop v18 to v22.4.3. But, I feel that I will meet some problems (technicals, fee, ...) if I do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found 2 (link removed) websites. I didn't read anything over there but I assume they offer Photoshop 2017 with no subscription, so you pay once and can use it similary like previously Creative Suite products (purchased for life time). Maybe ask a seller what is going to happen if you upgrade to newer release. Will you use it still for free while the shop provider covers the extra costs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The website adress of Software Deal is  (link removed). This site sell softwares. If I upgrade Photoshop CC 2017 that I bought from them, I thoink they are not concerned by that, especially by a paid suscription. But I send the question to their seller for the sake of conscience. We'll see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'm curious what they'll answer to you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I have asked to them: "I bought Photoshop 2017 (v18.0) here, the last paid version before subscription with Adobe. I have a free Creative Cloud account with Adobe, and they offer me to upgrade from Photoshop CC 2017 (v18.0) to v22.4.3. What's happening if I upgrade to this newer release. Will I use it still for free while you cover the extra costs?

Here is their answer: "You are not able to upgrade OEM software online."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last one-time paid version as far as I know was Photoshop CS6 from 2012, later with first CC only subscription model was possible. You may still write to them and say there is option to upgrade your product, so that is not true that you can't do it. The asnwer from them should be whether you'll have to pay for subscription or they'll do it.

I wonder also of the result of upgrading to newer version, whether the subscription would be started and who's credit card would be charged, all the more if for ex. the payment was made by cash.

There's also question what would be still possible if after upgrading you couldn't use newer Photoshop release that is, would you still able to install Photoshop 2017. Have you got some pendrive / CD with installer and the code to use, or still the code but with a link to a page where you downloaded product?

I'll raise this issue to Adobe employees who are familiar with payments to say how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is their answer: "You are not able to upgrade OEM software online."

There is no such thing as an OEM version of Creative Cloud. There is also no such thing as a non-subscription version of Creative Cloud.

So, what you purchased is hacked and illegal, and often counterfeit Adobe software contains malware or trojan horses...

Suggest you uninstall it and run at least one top-tier virus scan & repair utility on your system! Then, see this page for further information:

Adobe Genuine software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines